Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Mar 2, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #1,277 of 2,660
Interested in this versatile DAC/amp. In terms of DAC performance alone, will the Maverick D1 do well against something like the NuForce uDAC? Seeing that I only have limited funds for a standalone DAC and Amp, maybe this combo device will do. Does is upsample too or not?

And also, will it substantially improve the sound of active desktop monitors? I have a pair of M-Audio AV30's and I figured out that plugging them to the D1's RCA out will make them sound better.

Lastly, is the D1 a good pair-up to the HD555's and HD25-1 (70 ohm) headphones? Seeing that most of you use the Mav to higher-impedance cans like the HD600 I'm wondering if using it on lower-impedance ones would be a bit overkill.

Thanks all for your future responses and have a good day.
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #1,278 of 2,660
I recieved my Maverick yesterday. It is every bit as good as the Beresford TC-7510 I replaced it with. I use the Maverick primarily as a DAC using the tube out to my tube speaker system. I A/B'ed the tube output and the analog output to my sound system and enjoyed the tube output much better. I will listen for a week or two before I intoduce a better tube (i.e. Raythron with a Windmill Getter).

I have very, very limited expereince with higher priced DACs, but can find no reason why a budding audiophile would not jump on a low-priced DAC like the TubeMagic. The sound difference/enhancement is quite exciting.

I do not really need the headphone section, and have not evaluated it.

Mar 3, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #1,280 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjsoviet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So will the tube output be better for speakers? I'm interested in hearing that elusive "tube sound" for the first time!

The tube will flavor the pre-out RCA's but then you will be required to run to your regular amp to power your speakers. The SQ difference of the speakers with tubes or without will be just as subjective as which cans to use.

Mar 3, 2010 at 7:10 AM Post #1,281 of 2,660
Got mine yesterday and wow ... quite a nice jump from onboard sound. I have my CD player hooked up via optical and my PC via USB.

My speakers are hooked up to the tube output which sounded better then ss.

Mar 3, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #1,282 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The tube will flavor the pre-out RCA's but then you will be required to run to your regular amp to power your speakers. The SQ difference of the speakers with tubes or without will be just as subjective as which cans to use.

OK, I am a little confused and could use some help from someone. I just got my Maverick on Monday, and it is the first piece of equipment like this I have bought. Next up is speakers, but your post brings up a quick question I don't think is in the FAQ (if it is, I apologize):

Will the Maverick work with both powered and non-powered speakers?

If so, is there a difference in how to hook them up?

It sound like with non-powered, I need to hook it to the "Normal" analog out of the Maverick, and with powered speakers or when using a regular amp, I should use the "Tube pre-out". Is this correct?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I am loving my Maverick with my headphones and looking forward to upgrading speakers so I can listen through them as well!

Mar 3, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #1,283 of 2,660
With Powered speakers you may hook up to the regular or tube RCA pre-outs. The Maverick will give the speakers a "Line Out" level of sound only and the power speakers will amplify that sound.. It is not powerfull enough to run non-powered speakers from the RCA outputs. ( Small desktop speakers may give you minimum sound but these headphone amps are not designed to drive speakers).

Mar 3, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #1,284 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With Powered speakers you may hook up to the regular or tube RCA pre-outs. The Maverick will give the speakers a "Line Out" level of sound only and the power speakers will amplify that sound.. It is not powerfull enough to run non-powered speakers from the RCA outputs. ( Small desktop speakers may give you minimum sound but these headphone amps are not designed to drive speakers).

I forgot to mention that the AV30 is a set of powered speakers. So the Tube RCA-out could be used with them?

Mar 3, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #1,285 of 2,660
That would be correct!

You can hook your powered speakers directly to the TubeMagic to either the tube pre-out (tube flavour) or "normal" (solid state).

If you have non-powered speakers, you will have to connect the TubeMagic to an amp first as the TubeMagic only has pre-amp capabilities for its RCA outputs.

Mar 3, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #1,286 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by GPollos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That would be correct!

You can hook your powered speakers directly to the TubeMagic to either the tube pre-out (tube flavour) or "normal" (solid state).

If you have non-powered speakers, you will have to connect the TubeMagic to an amp first as the TubeMagic only has pre-amp capabilities for its RCA outputs.

Thanks for the help on this! Getting a set of powered monitors was a slam-dunk, then I started looking at how many outlets it was all going to add to my already-overloaded office, and was wondering if I could get by without powered speakers.

Thanks again!

Mar 4, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #1,288 of 2,660
I did it !

Used a sip socket instead of the DIP one. The soldering is not that hard.

Inserted a 4.75kohm 1/4W 1% in-line resistor. Now I can listen at 10 -11 o'clock and did not feel such drastic volume change when turning up the volume knob.

sfrancis-albums-mod-photo-picture4891-gain.jpg

Mar 4, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #1,289 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by sfrancis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did it !

Used a sip socket instead of the DIP one. The soldering is not that hard.

Inserted a 4.75kohm 1/4W 1% in-line resistor. Now I can listen at 10 -11 o'clock and did not feel such drastic volume change when turning up the volume knob.

sfrancis-albums-mod-photo-picture4891-gain.jpg

You used a Sip socket for the resistor?

Mar 4, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #1,290 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjikiran /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You used a Sip socket for the resistor?

It looks similar to this:

801-43-009-40-002000.JPG

The tail end that goes into PCB is not very long. Hold that piece while soldering is a little tricky but after a few try I manage to get it in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back