Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Mar 7, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #1,306 of 2,660
ha its funny cause of this statement by grant audio -

3) Grant Fidelity and Xiangsheng has reached agreement to be the sole distributor of Xiangsheng DAC product in Canada and USA.
4) Maverick Audio has sold their existing stock DAC back to Xiangsheng and those stock will be re-printed for Grant Fidelity. Maverick Audio will no longer sell the DAC product to North America nor other international market after November.

AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Maverick Audio D1 DAC/Pre-amp

I don't know if this constitutes a reach around.

Mar 7, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #1,307 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by weibby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ha its funny cause of this statement by grant audio -

3) Grant Fidelity and Xiangsheng has reached agreement to be the sole distributor of Xiangsheng DAC product in Canada and USA.
4) Maverick Audio has sold their existing stock DAC back to Xiangsheng and those stock will be re-printed for Grant Fidelity. Maverick Audio will no longer sell the DAC product to North America nor other international market after November.

AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Maverick Audio D1 DAC/Pre-amp

I don't know if this constitutes a reach around.

Overpriced rofl, I hope we can still get the mavericks. I don't want to pay $100+ for the same thing basically.

I think this is old though, I don't think the D1 line + is included in this. Only the old version which they stopped making.

Mar 7, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #1,308 of 2,660
Although I know reading back through 88 pages of content may be a pain in the ass, I think this issues has been covered before.

The mav used to be a XS clone back when it was the "Maverick TubeMagic", not the D1 line ("Maverick TubeMagic D1") as far as I know.

It may be using the XS power supply, but it's not like there are a million ways to build a transformer, so sourcing it from XS isn't that big of a deal. IMHO.

Mar 7, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #1,309 of 2,660
These things are too closely mirrored to not all be built by XS. Part outsourcing or not. Let's just let this dead horse lie and let them fight it out over outsourcing and exclusivity. If Mav wasn't undercutting Grant's prices by so much this would not even be an issue.

Mar 8, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #1,310 of 2,660
Never the less, I still love my Mav.
biggrin.gif

My first foray into the unknown mid-fi audio world, and it was a good one. XS clone or not.

Mar 8, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #1,311 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by GPollos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The mav used to be a XS clone back when it was the "Maverick TubeMagic", not the D1 line ("Maverick TubeMagic D1") as far as I know.

The first TubeMagic was the A1. It had identical knobs, looks (aside from a black faceplate), and circuitry as the XS. Ryan researched, modified, added features and called it the D1. There's probably 2 reasons behind that; to avoid litigation as well as improve the product. One could argue that it is no longer a clone, but an "improvement".

In the end, what's it matter? It's not like the Maverick TubeMagic is a terrible knock-off with bad parts and bad support. It works great at a low price and a lot of people are happy with it, including myself.

Mar 9, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #1,312 of 2,660
I'm sure the Maverick Dac that ryan is selling is using the same XS board and circuitry, and he's adjusting a few things. The reasons were some problems in the older design.

Grant Fidelity's slogan is "Hi-end, not hi-priced" which is funny. The grant fidelity version of this dac (keep in mind, identical) used to cost something like $450

When the dac first showed up, grant fidelity's forum on audiokarma's site had a thread started and few questions got tossed around. Grant fidelity had the mod's delete the posts, and left some kind of blanket statement about being the "only North American Distributor"

Seems like Grant Fidelity was overcharging by a lot of money, maybe around $150 worth, and they got their market taken.

Mar 9, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #1,313 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by elwappo99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure the Maverick Dac that ryan is selling is using the same XS board and circuitry, and he's adjusting a few things. The reasons were some problems in the older design.

I'm pretty sure the A1 did. But, the D1 is a modified PCB design. It may be the same circuit but, the layout for sure is different.

A1:
ryan_1.jpg

D1:
DSC05131_small.JPG

Mar 9, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #1,314 of 2,660
I finally got my D1 after a month long wait due to customs and then my parents had to forward it over to me.

Initial impressions--even though this was bought from another user and it's supposed to be burned in by now, I feel as though it's very harsh in the treble and the music sounds lifeless and perhaps decent at best. I'm so confused
frown.gif
Should I pretend it's new and do my own psychological burn in? Haha.

Mar 9, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #1,315 of 2,660
I have really enjoyed my D1, however, I am becoming increasingly frustrated with all the loud ZIPs and ZINGs I get when I switch from one input to another. Also, inbetween movie previews the thing pops and crackles which it does not do when I use the RCA from my DVD/CD player to my amps without the D1 in line. What the heck is going on with the D1. Is anyone else having these issues.

Also, and this is very minor, the spacing on the names of the different selections for the selector switch is way off from the indicator on the knob and the selection points in the selector switch. So the pointer on the knob might be lined up perfect in the middle position but when in the full top of bottom postion, the indicator is 1/2" past the lable.

I know, I know, this is a minor point but you'd think that would have been an obvious design paramiter from the get-go.

I still really like the D1, I'm just in a bitchy mood this morning.

Mar 9, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #1,316 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by djnagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, inbetween movie previews the thing pops and crackles which it does not do when I use the RCA from my DVD/CD player to my amps without the D1 in line. What the heck is going on with the D1. Is anyone else having these issues.

D1 will shut down the digital circuit when there is no signal by using a relay switch. In between movie previews, it seems your audio source completely shut down the digital signal output during the "gap", the pops you heard actually is the D1 re-enable the digital input and the circuit. While most DVD/CD player will have digital signal output always "on", there are some models will shut down it when no audio is in the playback, it looks your player is one of this.

Mar 9, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #1,317 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mysteek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm so confused
frown.gif
Should I pretend it's new and do my own psychological burn in? Haha.

Give it some more burn-in time. You never know how long the previous owner really used the unit. And D1 does require some time to get full "burn-in".
wink_face.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #1,318 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by I /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Swapped R70 and R71 with 300ohm resistors.
Swapped R54 and R55 with 5.7Kohm resistors.
All swaps with DIP socket brackets!

4420455756_ea481f0232_b.jpg

4419688833_c878ac1088.jpg

I'd definitely suggest this mod to anyone looking to use the mav with low-impedance / high-sensitivity headphones!

Sounds perfect!

Mar 9, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #1,320 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by JustVisit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
D1 will shut down the digital circuit when there is no signal by using a relay switch. In between movie previews, it seems your audio source completely shut down the digital signal output during the "gap", the pops you heard actually is the D1 re-enable the digital input and the circuit. While most DVD/CD player will have digital signal output always "on", there are some models will shut down it when no audio is in the playback, it looks your player is one of this.

This is exactly the reason why I use Optical from my onboard sound for movies instead of my X-Fi. The X-Fi over coax gives a nasty pop when switching movies but the onboard doesn't. The pop doesn't ever happen with WASAPI so I don't get any ill effects using WASAPI on my X-Fi into the D1. The onboard optical may not be bit-perfect but movies are lossy anyway so it doesn't matter to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back