Mar 10, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #1,322 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitarist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So is this still worth to buy

Yep, I still love mines
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mysteek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I finally got my D1 after a month long wait due to customs and then my parents had to forward it over to me.

Initial impressions--even though this was bought from another user and it's supposed to be burned in by now, I feel as though it's very harsh in the treble and the music sounds lifeless and perhaps decent at best. I'm so confused
frown.gif
Should I pretend it's new and do my own psychological burn in? Haha.

I don't know what output you are using but you could try swapping out opamps with something you are more familiar with. If that doesn't improve it, chances are the device isn't for you.

I don't believe in Burn in for solid state(Makes no logical sense, but psychological burn-in is definitely there. It exist in all devices
wink.gif
after limited use. ), can't comment about tube output since I use the headphone output 99% of the time.

Mar 10, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #1,324 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjsoviet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What would be the best description for the solid-state amp's sound signature? Sharp and aggressive, soft and soothing, clinical and digital?

Sharp and aggressive when its stock. Its the Grado of budget headphone amps. Rolling the OPAMPs tames the shrillness a bit, but it certainly still retains the aggressive sound signature.

Mar 10, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #1,325 of 2,660
I see. I guess a Grado or a similar headphone would work on it, huh? What other amps would be more laid-back at the D1's price point? I bet there are not a lot... so I'll think about buying this one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 10, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #1,327 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullettactics /img/forum/go_quote.gif
its normal that the D1 heats up during use is it?trying out optical vs usb dont seem to be much of a difference

How hot you talking? Should be fairly warm, but not in the range of a tube amp of heat I'd say. I felt it was spacious enough to cool off pretty well.

Mar 10, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #1,329 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjsoviet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see. I guess a Grado or a similar headphone would work on it, huh? What other amps would be more laid-back at the D1's price point? I bet there are not a lot... so I'll think about buying this one.
smily_headphones1.gif

The Compass is more laid back to me but a bit above this price range. To get any more laid back I would have suggested the HeadDirect EF2 but you LD is just as good and the EF2 DAC is not good enough to buy over the LD with a seperate DAC.
I'm still just audtioning a HeadPhonia DAC cable (59.00 shipped)at the moment but so far I'm liking it better than the onboard DAC of the EF2,Mav, or Zero. The Compass DAC is running neck and neck and the new Audio GD "fun" (updated Compass) has a Woflson DAC upgrade availl.
( not that you didn't allready have too many choices)

Mar 10, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #1,330 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by djnagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Ryan, but can you address the very loud zip and zing I get when swichin from USB and Optical...for example. I get it when I change from any input to another.

D1 uses pure hardware switch in the audio signal selection circuit. The noise you heard, is from the DAC chip itself. Unfortunately there is no way to "mute" this kind sound unless you use software control chip to do the switch.
Yes I know it is a bit annoying if you constantly switch between different audio sources. It is a small design "compromise" when we design this DAC.

Mar 10, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #1,331 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by Integrins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is probably a very stupid question, but can you use the headphone amp part if you remove the tube? Heck, is it safe to power up without the tube??

Yes you can do that. By removing the tube, the only thing it will affect is the tube pre out. It is completely safe to do so.

Mar 10, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #1,332 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Compass is more laid back to me but a bit above this price range. To get any more laid back I would have suggested the HeadDirect EF2 but you LD is just as good and the EF2 DAC is not good enough to buy over the LD with a seperate DAC.
I'm still just audtioning a HeadPhonia DAC cable (59.00 shipped)at the moment but so far I'm liking it better than the onboard DAC of the EF2,Mav, or Zero. The Compass DAC is running neck and neck and the new Audio GD "fun" (updated Compass) has a Woflson DAC upgrade availl.
( not that you didn't allready have too many choices)

You mean this cable?

Headphonia.com - USB DAC Cable with 3.5mm Mini Plug 75cm (30'')

Is the difference between the Mav and this one like night and day or just a subtle improvement? Since the Mav is a DAC/Amp combo, is it not better to get this instead of buying a separate DAC and amp? Or am I wrong?

Lol, I ask too much, sorry.
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #1,333 of 2,660
Yes, That's it.

It's about 15-20% richer and smoother ( Gawhd, I sound like a coffee comercial). I would not get any of them ( Mav,Zero, Compass) for thier DACs. Most of the amps in this range, including the EF2 as well, use minimal DAC's and more impressive external DACs can be had for as little as the 59.00 above Cable. The only advantage to me with the Maverick, and Zero, are thier source switching capabilities, Something lost with most Headphone Amps.

Mar 10, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #1,334 of 2,660
I see. Well, I have to decide whether to get the Mav (I like the source switching and multiple RCA-outs) or get the USB DAC and a decent tube amp (which I have yet to research on the best for about $150)

EDIT: I think I'm going for the Mav. I really have a tight budget, and it seems to fit my needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back