Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Feb 10, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #1,036 of 2,660
Just wondering... Does your maverick make a clicking sound when using spdif/optical from your pc? I get it when I switch songs and scan songs. When Im surfing for pron it clicks like a spanish dancing lady. Its getting kinda irritating... Just wondering if I use the coaxial instead of the optical will it make a difference or is this something normal and I have to just get used to it?

BTW I've rolled a couple of opamps. As its has been said before the LT1364 sounds unbelievable for tube/pre out. Very smooth, detailed and nice soundstage. Much less fatiguing than my xfi and better than stock. Makes my Audioengine5's sound like angels singing... (I still wonder if its all this is in my head?)
tongue.gif
I also tried the opa2134. I think this dac doesnt like that opamp. It sounded worse than the stock opamp, very harsh and unrefined. TBH I think its not compatible with the maverick. Ive got some opa627's coming in soon. Ill let you know what they sound like.

Feb 10, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #1,037 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by _Spanky_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Several others and me all agree that the LM4562 helps with the shrill highs.

I see you have the Zero in your sig. Would you mind giving a quick comparison?

I would Have to opamp roll and tube amp roll a little bit then ill do my comparison as its not fair to compare stock maverick with hdam zero with LT1364. I never listened to my Zero stock so i cant compare stock sounds. however as of right now the Zero with upgraded parts the bass is tighter and the treble are a little bit clearer with less shrill, but i think the maverick audio has more power, this comparison is strictly with the Headphone out on both units, i havent compared the Preamp/Dac section of either unit.i will give you a better analysis later on in the week

Feb 10, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #1,038 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by muad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wondering... Does your maverick make a clicking sound when using spdif/optical from your pc? I get it when I switch songs and scan songs. When Im surfing for pron it clicks like a spanish dancing lady. Its getting kinda irritating... Just wondering if I use the coaxial instead of the optical will it make a difference or is this something normal and I have to just get used to it?

The unit itself is clicking? That's something that happens when the sample rate changes. I recently tried my onboard sound with the D1 and it clicked whenever Windows made a sound which seems like your experience. It doesn't do that with the SPDIF from my X-Fi though, I don't know what the difference is.

@ blitzpirate, thanks. I look forward to more of your thoughts/experiences
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #1,039 of 2,660
well with my xfi spdif the maverick would make a noise like a motor moving something when the sample rates change. With my mobo optical out it clicks regardless of the sample rate. I just checked right now and it clicks when im using wasapi spdif or direct sound spdif. My mobo doesnt ouput bitperfect so i have it outputting 16bit 44.1khz from the spdif out.

I also have another problem. When i use the usb it says i can't output 16bit 44.1khz in foobar. Any ideas What is going on there?

^^^^
I just realized the the usb cant do 44khz
frown.gif

Feb 10, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #1,040 of 2,660
Here's a really dumb question, but it's got me thinking.

So, I've been demo-ing my D1 for friends so they can hear the "tube glow." To do so, I've run the optical out of my DVD player into the D1, then run the D1 into my amp. I also ran the analog out from the DVD player into the amp. That way, I could A/B the sound to demonstrate the tube difference.

Anyway, is it bad for the amp to switch back and forth the sources repeatedly? I'd say I'd play for 5 seconds, then switch, 5, switch, and so on.

Just paranoid.

P.S. I'm not worried about the speakers because the volume was rather low, so no worries about "shocking" the speakers.

Feb 10, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #1,041 of 2,660
Theoretically, only the knobs and connectors should wear out but even then that will take a while. It's all solid-state and shouldn't "wear down". I wouldn't switch several dozen times a day every day but a dozen times every once and a while I would imagine is fine. That's just me though and I'm not an engineer or anything.

Feb 10, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #1,042 of 2,660
My D1 just arrived, and I'll make sure I get out of my Shiny-New-Toy mood before I post impressions. One thing I have noticed right off the bat though is that the bass has improved considerably on my MS1i's. Purchase justified IMO
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #1,043 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by thearrow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is exactly what I'm experiencing, too (except 60Hz since I'm in the US).

What can we do to eliminate this?

I'm sending mine back. Ryan has been very helpful and responded to my emails even though their office is closed until 20th Feb.

Feb 10, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #1,044 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by _Spanky_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Theoretically, only the knobs and connectors should wear out but even then that will take a while. It's all solid-state and shouldn't "wear down". I wouldn't switch several dozen times a day every day but a dozen times every once and a while I would imagine is fine. That's just me though and I'm not an engineer or anything.

Thanks. I figured as much, but wanted some reassurance from someone else. I did my switching from the remote only--so only solid state electronics were in play. No turning of any physical knobs.

I usually buy things to last a long time--so I do my best to take care of things.

Feb 10, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #1,045 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajuztam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi. there must be sth wrong in your setup. i can only listen up to 3-4 o'clock on my k702. if i go any higher sound is distorted. my sources are modified denon dcd-1460 and spdif out on laptop and i listen to downtempo, lounge, chillout etc.

Hi, I don't use the "original" resisstors. I have the TubeDac form bearmann and he has changed them to 4,7KOhm.

Feb 10, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #1,046 of 2,660
I wonder if anyone here has tried the ''HiFiMan EF2 tube Hybrid Amp with USB DAC'' and can compare the two. They're both at a similar price point and both have a dac/amp. A quick search didn't find much though.

Feb 10, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #1,047 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Denon 2K and 5K have the same drivers and the Maverick will run either of them as well as the 7K's with ease. The only dowside I see to the Mav as far as the Denons go is that the Denons realy love the "Tube" flavor and as the Tube Section runs to the RCA out's in the back and not the headphone out, you won't be giving the Denons the flavor they want unless you use the Maverick as a pre-amp/Dac and run to another amp for the Denons. My recommendation for the Denons are the Tube/SS hybrids such as the EF2, Little Dot, Darkvoice, and Xiang Sheng Little Singer (HAo1 or something like that)

First I used my D5000s with my EF2 and although they had a nice warm sound to them, I did not feel as though the EF2 had enough speed or dynamic range to drive them to their potential.
I bought the D1 and I was amazed at how much more punchier the bass was at the high DB levels I enjoy. The EF2 was just underpowered for the job.
I also noticed the sound was snappier and clearer, as though the tube sound of the EF2 had veiled the mids and highs from being clear and now the digital compoenents had removed that veil and increased the clarity. Kind of like the effect of listneing to an MP3 of poor quality and then hearing one that is ripped just right. There just seems to be more sound. A richer musical experience.

So are the D5s good with the D1? I'd have to say for me, they are fantastic. I also have ATH A700s and they saound good on the D1, and my friends AKG 702's sound really good! I can''t use open HP in my office but if I could, the 702's sound really nice with the D1.

Feb 10, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #1,048 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a Maverick before and as DAC's the EF2 and the Maverick are very similar. The Solid state headphone out of the Mav is more powerful than the EF2 and better for cans higher than 100 ohms ( Senns, Beyers). But as all of my cans are low impedence the EF2 is my AMP of choice since I like Tubes. I did try the Tube pre out of the Maverick into both the EF2 and my RA1. but still feel that the sig of the EF2 alone is better from Headphone out. I will refrain from comparing the EF and the Compass as they are to disssimilar. At the Seattle/Portland meet on 2/27. I'll have The Maverick,Zero, and Compass all there side by side for Head-Fi'ers to A/B/C..

Awesome....too bad I live in DELAWARE! T_T

Feb 10, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #1,049 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mysteek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if anyone here has tried the ''HiFiMan EF2 tube Hybrid Amp with USB DAC'' and can compare the two. They're both at a similar price point and both have a dac/amp. A quick search didn't find much though.

Bottom line. I am looking to sell my EF2 now after getting my D1.

Why? The EF2 has a nice warm sound to it and it was great with my ATH A700s but it just is not up to the job on driving my D5000s to the levels I enjoy.

I had tried 2 different types of tubes in the EF2, I upgraded the wall wart from 16V/600 ma to 18V/800ma and the sound was better, and had more reserves, but still no match for the brute power of the D1 at driving my HP wiith the SQ and punch I love.

I am now experimenting with the SQ on the D1 and have swapped out the HP OpAmps for the 627B, LT1364 and LM4562 . I liked the 4562 the best.
Then I put in the "Sun" HDAM from a Compass and I have not removed it since then. The SQ of the HDAM with my D5000s is a great match. I have ordered a Burson HDAM as I have to return the "Sun" to the Compass owner soon. The Burson HDAM is very much like the one from the Compass. From what I understand Burson just has a better spec on the components that go into the HDAM (matched pairs of parts). I will let you know what that next step in price yields ($160).

Feb 10, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #1,050 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by DannyBuoy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bottom line. I am looking to sell my EF2 now after getting my D1.

Why? The EF2 has a nice warm sound to it and it was great with my ATH A700s but it just is not up to the job on driving my D5000s to the levels I enjoy.

I had tried 2 different types of tubes in the EF2, I upgraded the wall wart from 16V/600 ma to 18V/800ma and the sound was better, and had more reserves, but still no match for the brute power of the D1 at driving my HP wiith the SQ and punch I love.

I am now experimenting with the SQ on the D1 and have swapped out the HP OpAmps for the 627B, LT1364 and LM4562 . I liked the 4562 the best.
Then I put in the "Sun" HDAM from a Compass and I have not removed it since then. The SQ of the HDAM with my D5000s is a great match. I have ordered a Burson HDAM as I have to return the "Sun" to the Compass owner soon. The Burson HDAM is very much like the one from the Compass. From what I understand Burson just has a better spec on the components that go into the HDAM (matched pairs of parts). I will let you know what that next step in price yields ($160).

Looking forward to hearing about those results, still on the edge on upgrading my D1's opamp. Been lazy and I am satisfied atm. You are using the Sun(and soon the Burson) on the headphone opamp ya? How did ya get that beast in anyway? Kept the cover off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back