Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Feb 1, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #916 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBigCW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to make this extremely clear. If you're buying interconnects to make your mid-fi system sound better, skip it.

Going from the el-cheapo included interconnects that are basically two strands of copper wire to the thick $2.00 Monoprice interconnects really did make difference. The sound is less "choked." I noticed the biggest difference when putting a better interconnect on my sub woofer. The bass went from thin to better. How much better? It's all subjective, but I could hear a little more life in it.

So, IMHO, the jump from $0.05 interconnects to $2.00 interconnects is real. However, I will agree with you that the jump from $2.00 interconnects to $400 is snake oil and a marketing scam.

Feb 1, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #917 of 2,660
But we're getting a little off topic from my original post and intention. The equalizer was a major kink in my system and noticeably degraded the sound. When using the "defeat" button, the sound was not unaltered from the original. The fact the signal still traveled through the device made it take a hit. Removing it opened up the sound. This had a much larger impact than the interconnects ever will.

Feb 1, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #918 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by hodgjy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, IMHO, the jump from $0.05 interconnects to $2.00 interconnects is real. However, I will agree with you that the jump from $2.00 interconnects to $400 is snake oil and a marketing scam.

I couldn't agree more really. I might spend up to $10 on a cable but I'd much rather afford new headphones than a $400 cable.

Quote:

But we're getting a little off topic from my original post and intention. The equalizer was a major kink in my system and noticeably degraded the sound.

Glad you figured that out. I would suggest to anyone to remove un-necessary components and to try different configurations to find either better and cleaner sound or at least sound that is colored to your liking.

Feb 1, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #919 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by _Spanky_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Glad you figured that out. I would suggest to anyone to remove un-necessary components and to try different configurations to find either better and cleaner sound or at least sound that is colored to your liking.

This is something that I normally pay attention to, but I admit that I had a total brain breakdown and it didn't occur to me this time. When I patched in my equalizer using cheap interconnects BEFORE I ever got my D1, that combo improved the sound quality. But with better interconnects and the D1, the equalizer choked the gains made by the D1. I guess removing unnecessary pathways and components is more than just snake oil.

At least I figured it out before I did something stupid like buy a new amp or speakers.
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 2, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #920 of 2,660
I understand that a signal from a truntable plugged into the RCA-in is very weak, so if I purchased a standalone headphone am in the future, I could use the tube preamp into the headphone amp in?

Feb 2, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #921 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nakattack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand that a signal from a truntable plugged into the RCA-in is very weak, so if I purchased a standalone headphone am in the future, I could use the tube preamp into the headphone amp in?

I'm kind of confused on your wording here...

But, you're asking if you go from turntable--Mav D1--to headphone amp?

I would say no. No where in the chain are you getting a phono amplifier. The turntable needs a big boost that line-level doesn't give it.

You could go turntable--phono-D1-headphone amp, but that's a lot of parts in a chain that will degrade signal.

So, I would just go Turntable--phono--headphone amp. Get the best phono and headphone amp you can afford. Keep it simple and as short of a chain as possible.

Feb 2, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #922 of 2,660
Just got my Mav yesterday. Popped in two LT1364s and one JAN GE 5670W. Nice layout inside and the opamp sockets are a nice touch. Build quality is excellent for the price but I would not go overboard here. It looks and feels like a $500 piece, not a $2K piece.

Here is the system my Mav is used in:

160 GB iPod classic (Apple lossless files)
Onkyo iPod Transport ND-S1
Belden 1694A 50 ohm coax
Mav with LT1364s and JAN GE 5670W tube
Classe CA-100 power amp
Tube output to Martin Logan Aeon-i's
Generic output summed to Martin Logan Dynamo sub

On balance, this is the best DAC I have ever heard in my system. I'm not sure if it is the DAC, tube, LT1364's or a combination of all. This DAC/pre has superb resolution, added dimensionality of tubes, and is still clean, quick, and transparent. It is not hyperbole to say that it sounds magic. It does. It has superb resolution with the magic of tubes. Mids and highs are immaculate and airy. I could go on with positive superlatives but let's jump to the negatives:

1. It is slightly warm in the lower mids. Not sure if this is the tube, but in any case it is not a negative quality for me but YMMV.

2. There is a minor turn off thump but it's not a major issue for me in my system.

3. The pre does run HOT on the gain. At 10 o'clock on the volume pot my system plays extremely loud. 12 o'clock would melt my Martin Logans.

That's it folks. I would rate the MAV a screaming bargain and I will probably buy a backup unit just in case. Had a slight problem with DHL delivery but communication from Ryan was very good.

P.S. I am not much of a phonehead but my Senns sounded fine on the Mav. Drove them very well, no issues whatsoever.

Feb 2, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #924 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpstereo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone help me find a source or direct me to the correct model from LT?

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Spanky_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like them... Here's the exact part numbers I'm using in case you get confused like I did
smily_headphones1.gif

LT1364CN8#PBF
LM4562NA/NOPB

Enjoy
smily_headphones1.gif

Hope this helps.

Feb 2, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #926 of 2,660
Ok for clarity.

I really only listen to the Pre-amp portion of the D1. How many op amps do I need and which one?

Is it the LT1364 or LM4562? Where should I purchase it?

Does any one have any of the WE 396A taht they would like to sell?

Thanks,

Scott

Feb 2, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #927 of 2,660
Well I received a couple LT1364's and a LM4562 in the mail today, but I'm kind of hesitant to swap them in because I'm just enjoying the maverick so much the way it is! I've put around 800+ hours on it now and the sound still seems to be changing. I recently noticed that the lower end has really come out to a point where I like it and the soundstage seems to have improved as well. Maybe it's all placebo but it sure feels like burn in.

Feb 2, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #928 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by Remains /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've put around 800+ hours on it now and the sound still seems to be changing. I recently noticed that the lower end has really come out to a point where I like it and the soundstage seems to have improved as well. Maybe it's all placebo but it sure feels like burn in.

I don't think it's placebo. I read somewhere that small tubes, like the one in the D1, have a "magic burn in" of 22 hours, with things really settling down after 50. I have about 100 on mine, and things are still settling down each day I fire it up. So, I think due to the nature of tubes, they will continue to change throughout their entire life until they die.

Feb 2, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #929 of 2,660
Quote:

I don't think it's placebo. I read somewhere that small tubes, like the one in the D1, have a "magic burn in" of 22 hours, with things really settling down after 50. I have about 100 on mine, and things are still settling down each day I fire it up. So, I think due to the nature of tubes, they will continue to change throughout their entire life until they die.

I'm not using the tube though. The only thing I have been using the maverick for is headphone out to my d2000's. I'm not entirely sure but AFAIK it will completely skip the tube for HP out?

Feb 2, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #930 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by Remains /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not entirely sure but AFAIK it will completely skip the tube for HP out?

Yup. The only way to use the tube is with the Tube Pre-Out in the back. (I'm not sure on the wording)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back