Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Jan 14, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #602 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by wheelsx45 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am really interested in this DAC/Amp, I am just nervous about the noise for my high sensitive denon 2000 headphones. I know you can adjust the gain, but I have never used a soldering iron in my life. Is this noise constant or does it go away once you play music?

I use the denon's with the maverick and I have no problem with the gain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remains /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would just like to say that with the 25ohm denon d2k's there is no gain whatsoever.

Jan 14, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #603 of 2,660
Hi Everyone,

I received my D1 w/ upgraded tube today. I've been using it for an hour so far. I currently have it hooked up my PC(Windows 7 64-bit) via usb. It drives my Sennheiser HD650 perfectly. I have the volume at 9 o'clock(6 to 7 clicks from off) and it's perfect listening volume. I gotta say, so far i've been really impressed with it. I'll try the tube out when I get some ICs.

I also tried the D1 with a pair Grado HF2... a tad bright w/ the Grado for my taste, the D1 definately synergizes with HD650.

PICS:
CSC_0585.JPG

CSC_0583.JPG

Jan 14, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #604 of 2,660
So on the bit-perfect thing... on my Mac Pro, when I go with an optical toslink cable out to the Maverick D1, which is called "Built-in Digital Output" in the Sound Preferences, I can select 16/44.1 output in my Mac's Audio Midi Setup utility. But when I select the "USB Audio" output for the D1, the output is set at 16/48 with no other choices available. Similar-length medium-quality cables were used.

Not that I can hear much of a difference with my speakers, but first impressions aren't everything; in fact, the bit-perfect option is starting to sound more resolved already... no wait, that's the USB, d@mmit! Better put the headphones on and do some more research
o2smile.gif

Jan 14, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #605 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by JustVisit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The other question I want to ask you guys is the volume control.

I can make the volume control more "linear", means you will have bigger "range" to adjust volume from low to high. In my local head-fi community, people tend to like to have almost max volume at only 12 o'clock position, if you extend the max to further position, it will be considered that the unit is "under powered". However, from the feedback I've seen on here, people are like "more range" to adjust volume. Please let me know your opinion, it will help me to improve D1 in the future production
biggrin.gif

Why not use a Linear pot instead of Log, use a linear with law faking resistor fitted between wiper & ground of each channel, this will give a cleaner & more acurate & usable pot than log..The resistor should be the value of the original log pot, but the linear pot value 10-20 times this value depending.Best pot & resistors you can find if you can.

ESP - A Better Volume Control

Jan 14, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #607 of 2,660
Does the volume control moves in incremental steps or does it turn smoothly? If it is incremental, are they large steps or relatively small to allow enough playing room to find the perfect listening volume?

Jan 14, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #608 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suedehead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the volume control moves in incremental steps or does it turn smoothly? If it is incremental, are they large steps or relatively small to allow enough playing room to find the perfect listening volume?

Incremental steps - for me it's easy to find perfect volume for the headphones and as a preamp.

Jan 14, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #609 of 2,660
This isn't really a rightful comparison since it's between an unamped source vs an amped source. However I figured I'd put my two cents in, just in case someone was wondering how these affected the Beyers....

My brother's Maverick came in yesterday so I went to his house and plugged my DT770's to test out how well it drives.

These btw are the 250-2005 model (notorious for being hard to drive).

I had plans to buy an amp before, but budget reasons I had to put it up FS, BUT for the sake of testing I took em out of the box.

Anyway, the only other time I've been able to test it is straight from a computer source right out of the sound card. The sound to me was great. I'm a big fan of bass and so the source fed that fine. In was overwhelming at times, but for the most part I enjoyed it for the type of music that I listen to (vocal trance, hip hop and smooth jazz).

From the Maverick: Right away I was able to see a difference in how tight the bass got, but not in a bad way. It was more refined and tuned. The highs were definitely more prominent as before. And while I attribute a lot of this to the fact that it's amp'ed now, I was still very surprised at just how clear the Maverick was able to control it.

I tested it with various tracks in both FLAC, MP3 and 256k stream off DI.FM Premium. The amp was strong and provided me with the sound I liked from Vocal Trance, Techno, Eurodance. If anyone here is familiar with that genre, they know that sometimes the female vocals can be somewhat overwhelming if using a crappy pair of headphones, however the Maverick/Beyer combo was spot on and the highs sounded great.

The weakest part of the test came when I played Classical music or Solo Piano type music. Of course these are closed headphones so sound stage is more of the factor here. However, I found the sound very flat and unengaged. Hopefully someone with an open set of cans can provide a better experience with the classical genre and the Maverick.

On the contrary though, it sounded amazing with Smooth Contemporary Jazz. The highs were just where I wanted them and the bass came in to compliment everything, as it should. I could pick up the snares and the high hats very distinctly. The guitars sounded amazing. Mids were a little recessed but they were definitely there.

Sadly, I was unable to test it out with one of my all time favorite genre's which is rock. I listened to a KoRn track somewhere in there but it was more of a techno mix of Make Me Bad, but I would've really liked to have put in Metallica - Enter Sandman or even some heavy metal like Iron Maiden, lol.

I'm highly considering the Maverick now if I end up keeping the Beyers. Mainly because it provided me with the sound that I liked from the music that I enjoy listening to. On top of that the unit is fairly small and compared to other amps, it's not tall or too big to move around.

Anyway, enough of my rambling
beyersmile.png

Jan 14, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #610 of 2,660
Got mine today and I love it, and I am only listening to it on the Accurian $15 amp and the Parts Express $25 cheep speakers they had on sale. Can't wait to hook it up to some better gear.

I am listening to it through my only headphones which are the JVC Marshmellows and it sounds pretty good.

Scott

Jan 14, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #611 of 2,660
I agree with You - this box make a real magic even with better equipment - look in my profile...

When I plug D1 into my audio system, I don't expected too much... I'm really satisfied now, sounds much better than originally - what was good, but now...
Now music sounds like from really higher grade pieces... Better synergy, more opened sound stage, definitely more details, vocals are much bright and clean, especially women's - tube works pretty cool ! When I listen CD from the Depeche Mode ex-year tour "Sound Of The Universe" it's like in arena, like live ...
In one world - all system is now more musically, much more
smily_headphones1.gif

About headphones - with my Goldring's DR150 sounds impressive, finally I have really pleasure from headphones listening - and impression about music is comparable to my basic system & loudspeakers + now I hear much more details in almost every track.

And last but not least - OMG - finally I can heard all my MP3, FLAC and any other digi track without screw face and blood from the ears.

For me - it's most valuable audio upgrade for the main system/computer/headphones for that money
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #612 of 2,660
I received mine today and have been running it for the last three hours. I am also very tired and not in the mood to write a review. I will do that tomorrow. As a primer though, I will say [size=x-large]"just go head and buy it!!!"[/size]

Until then.

Jan 15, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #613 of 2,660
I have used the D1 now for about 150 hours and when not at work listening, I leave a 300 song playlist going in J.River and let it play through the night.

The DAC has matured a bit and some of the initial simblance I was experiencing has gone away. I have the D1 with tube upgrade.

I have been running it at 24/96 with Direct Sound and it has decoded everything through USB without any trouble now.

I used my UE TF10's the other day and although I could not turn it past 9'oclock the sound quality was very good (compared to my Cowon D2+ and EF2.
Today I spent a few hours with a friend's AKG 702's plugged in and they were driven very nicely. A little too harsh on rock/pop, but Phillip Glass (Glassworks) was awesome.

I find that my Denon D5000's sound best to me when I use the JMoney pads. As a matter of fact that combo (D5000's, Jmoney, D1) is my favorite now as it is a happy medium of all that I enjoy. The stock Denon pads with the D1 just don't compare (have to run, otherwise I would get into particulars on difference).

Just wanted to give some feedback. I am enjoying the D1 quite a bit now.

Jan 15, 2010 at 7:57 AM Post #614 of 2,660
I'm at probably 50-60 hours on the unit as a whole and 35-45 hours on the LT1364 and LM4562 and I have to say this unit is really blossoming. With my previous amp I used to add a bass boost in the Creative Control Panel so it suited my liking. I haven't done that with this (more like can't) since I'm using the SPDIF out of my Creative card. Despite that, the bass is really near my preference level and it's so clean and crisp, I haven't heard any distortion. It's really... just... nice
smily_headphones1.gif
The mids have come out a bit and the highs are really toned down but still very clear for the symbols and hi-hats. Before this unit I never really experienced burn-in but I definitely have with the Maverick and I'm still excited about how much more it will change.

Really, anyone that's on the fence about this unit should get it. If it's one of your first purchases, you won't be disappointed.

Jan 16, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #615 of 2,660
My first actual post... so YEAH me... Hello all of you... Ok, so I'm confused. What's the general consensus on the best way to connect a macbook to the D1? I thought about optical out with an Optocoupler MKII into a CryoParts converter box and then a DH Labs D-75 digital cable from the box to the D1. Or, should I just run usb out of the macbook to usb in of the D1? All I listen to are 16/44.1 flac rips from cds. I'd like to achieve bit perfect (I think). All this talk about upsampling and resampling, I can't find up, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm a student of audio currently flunking!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back