Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Jan 4, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #481 of 2,660
Ryan
Thank you very much for your prompt e-mails recieved regarding my hum situation, i've ordered some lower value resistors as advised..What would be a good idea would to manufacture the PCB with two pairs of sockets where different value resistors can just be tightly slotted in/out by the owner to suit the Impedence of their headphones, so they can then easily do the job to suit any other phones they may want to use without resorting to a soldering iron.

I'll get back regarding the USB situation when i get back home, i'm gonna try it with a friends laptop.

Thanks again for your time.

Jan 4, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #483 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by viodea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would rather have a flip switch if it doesn't effect sound quality.

Exactly, a bank of DIP-switches is much better for a general gain adjustment in this case, but they would have to change the layout at this part on the PCB. It makes the D1 more flexible for every headphone on this planet, without exceptions. A very high gain on the output isn't bad so far, if the remaining components are able to work with it. Putting resistors in a kind of slot is a very bad idea.
confused_face.gif

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #484 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by AcousticDreams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Putting resistors in a kind of slot is a very bad idea.
confused_face.gif

you saying a chip in a chip base is a bad idea, only the same really.

wink_face.gif

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #485 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by ELP FAN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you saying a chip in a chip base is a bad idea, only the same really.
wink_face.gif

Sorry, but this is not the same. An IC is not a resistor! An IC has principally a more or less number of pins for a safe and stable connection with the system, even in a socket. A resistor is manufactured for a soldered connection. Only amateurs would seize to such a solution.
wink_face.gif

Jan 4, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #487 of 2,660
I don't know the layout of the D1 inside nor am I an engineer but wouldn't it be possible to take the wires for the headphone jack, route them to a new PCB with a dip switch and whatever other circuitry then back to the headphone jack for the gain? This wouldn't necessarily require a new main PCB layout, it would be an add-in. Low-cost to implement, I'm sure and possibly a DIY upgrade for current owners of the D1...

Of course some kind of switch on the front panel would be the most ideal but again I'm not an engineer so I wouldn't know what would be "better" for audio transmission. In any event if it was made as an upgrade to existing models and could be implemented by the owner via a simple mod, I think that would go over well.

Jan 4, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #488 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by AcousticDreams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, but this is not the same. An IC is not a resistor! An IC has principally a more or less number of pins for a safe and stable connection with the system, even in a socket. A resistor is manufactured for a soldered connection. Only amateurs would seize to such a solution.
wink_face.gif

Better tell a certain audio high end company this then cos they used to do it.

the PCB resistor sockets in question are deep & tight, the resistor will not move, besides it's not a power resistor they are only 1W

Jan 4, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #489 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by _Spanky_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know the layout of the D1 inside nor am I an engineer but wouldn't it be possible to take the wires for the headphone jack, route them to a new PCB with a dip switch and whatever other circuitry then back to the headphone jack for the gain? This wouldn't necessarily require a new main PCB layout, it would be an add-in. Low-cost to implement, I'm sure and possibly a DIY upgrade for current owners of the D1...

Of course some kind of switch on the front panel would be the most ideal but again I'm not an engineer so I wouldn't know what would be "better" for audio transmission. In any event if it was made as an upgrade to existing models and could be implemented by the owner via a simple mod, I think that would go over well.

The headphone socked is a self contained unit solidered directly to PCB as is the 'Line In' socket, this PCB isnt the main board, it's a second slim PCB that runs the length of the facia.

Jan 4, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #490 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by ELP FAN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Better tell a certain audio high end company this then cos they used to do it. The PCB resistor sockets in question are deep & tight, the resistor will not move, besides it's not a power resistor they are only 1W

This makes no difference, this method is only acceptable as a temporary solution for prototypes, but never in a quality product. A lot of companies misuse the term "High End" because they don't expect customers with enough knowledge in hardware design.

Jan 4, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #491 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by JustVisit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In your window's control panel, select "Sounds and audio devices", in the "audio" tab, choose "USB audio" as your default "sound playback" device. Then you will get the audio from the USB.
bigsmile_face.gif

ELP FAN, when I first plugged my maverick into my computer via usb no sound came out of it either. After doing what Ryan has just suggested here it still did not work until I right clicked on all other devices and disabled them until only the maverick was left. After that it worked smooth as butter. I'm not saying this will solve your problem though, it's only a suggestion.

On a separate note - I know this probably isn't the best place to ask but does anyone here have any experience setting up the maverick in linux, specifically ubuntu?

Jan 5, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #492 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by Remains /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does anyone here have any experience setting up the maverick in linux, specifically ubuntu?

From what I remember, and anyone is welcome to correct me on this, a lot of USB DAC's use the USB Audio 1.1 standard which should be implemented in just about every OS that recognizes USB. It's like a basic USB mouse or keyboard driver. I'm sure you can install your own modified driver to change the operation of the device but it should work out of the box.

Jan 5, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #493 of 2,660
Stupid question but I want to make sure before I move forward ... Can I plug the Maverick directly into powered speakers such as the AudioEngine 2 and use it as a preamp? - the Maverick of course would be connected to my laptop via USB.

Thanks!

Jan 5, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #494 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by _Spanky_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I remember, and anyone is welcome to correct me on this, a lot of USB DAC's use the USB Audio 1.1 standard which should be implemented in just about every OS that recognizes USB. It's like a basic USB mouse or keyboard driver. I'm sure you can install your own modified driver to change the operation of the device but it should work out of the box.

Well after some fiddling around I got it working. Funny thing is that there is a noticeable difference in how my music sounds in linux compared to windows. One thing I have noticed is that lower bitrate mp3's that would otherwise sound fine in windows sound AWFUL in linux.

Ok we can get back to talking about the maverick now
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 5, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #495 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpstereo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stupid question but I want to make sure before I move forward ... Can I plug the Maverick directly into powered speakers such as the AudioEngine 2 and use it as a preamp? - the Maverick of course would be connected to my laptop via USB.

Thanks!

Use the Preout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back