Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Dec 10, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #271 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by hototay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ryan,

I just have a minor issue with the "direct" button. when I press it to bypass the volume, my left channel speaker sounded garbled and quieter relative to the right. In any case, not really a problem as I can always leave it depress and leave the volume knob at a certain level.

Cheers!

Sorry for this issue. I will check to see if it is the component we use to cause this problem.
In the mean time, if you turn the volume to 3 O'clock position it will equal to "volume disable".

Dec 10, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #272 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaluss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question about the blue light in infront. How bright is it? I tend to listen to my music in a dim setting.

Shouldn't bother you, Zaluss. I also keep my room rather dim and I don't like it if there's anywhere this annoying green/blue/red glow from a gadget - it's not the case with the Maverick. The blue glow doesn't disturb me while listening at the evening.
smily_headphones1.gif

best regards.
bearmann

Dec 10, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #273 of 2,660
Missed the mailman this morning....but had to go and fetch it anyway!!
biggrin.gif

So far I'm very impressed. Listening to Newton Faulkner from the tube pre-out to my speakers sounds very nice. Sound wasn't good when I first put it on, but now the tubes warming up nicely my ears like it. Can't wait for the 'burn-in' time to see how it develops.

I ordered the one with the GE 5670 tube if you were wondering.

And the headphone out is very powerful with my DT880's 250ohm
dt880smile.png
don't need the dial up very much at all to make them sing. The sounds better than my x-fi elite pro that I was using for the headphones this week (I've only had the beyers a week and a bit, so they are still being broken in also)

Would of been nice to have the tubeness on the headphone socket also.

Dec 11, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #276 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by JustVisit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for this issue. I will check to see if it is the component we use to cause this problem.
In the mean time, if you turn the volume to 3 O'clock position it will equal to "volume disable".

Hey Ryan,
3 o'clock indeed is the level equal to "direct/bypass" mode. It doesn't really bother me but others might. Just an advice.

Dec 11, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #277 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by dak20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Greetings, guys! What it will be better Zero Dac, Dac-01? You to compare it? May be Compass, but Compass is not cheaply!!!!

I am curious as to some responses to this question. I have been scouring the forum but am having trouble getting a concrete answer. Which works better as a DAC / Headphone amp?

Dec 11, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #278 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfatdynamo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am curious as to some responses to this question. I have been scouring the forum but am having trouble getting a concrete answer. Which works better as a DAC / Headphone amp?

I've heard some really awful, awful stories about the ZERO DAC reliability (breaking headphones, almost explosive units) and I've heard some great things about the DAC-01. So, I would say, go with the Maverick. It's relatively inexpensive, and simply an upgraded version of the DAC-01. With the great customer service and lovely presentation, I would try it out.

Dec 11, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #279 of 2,660
Just before pulling the trigger on a zero last night I realized that it lacks an RCA in and I remembered seeing the maverick awhile back on ebay. So after reading all 19 pages of this thread I think I'm going to take my chances and order the D1. I really like how the D1 has so many inputs and FWIR the amp seems to be pretty powerful(more powerful than the zero's?). The only problem I have is that I use denon headphones and I'm worried I'll have to change the amount of gain. Has anybody tried putting a HDAM in the maverick yet?

Dec 11, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #280 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by bearmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO (!) the Maverick is the right thing for you, if you need more connectivity and want to experience the "tube sound" and want a headphone amp. But if you just bought it to significantly (!) improve the sound quality of your speaker system - you won't be satisfied.

Are you referring to his Logitech speakers or speaker systems in general?

Dec 11, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #282 of 2,660
Ah alright. Just arrived today! I can't wait to try it out.

Dec 12, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #283 of 2,660
Supposedly just received mine as well. Gonna be a few days before I can get any sort of review info on this out. I'm told that the package is dented somewhat badly, hopefully no internal damage...

Dec 12, 2009 at 10:53 AM Post #284 of 2,660
Hi Ryan,
I was just wondering, which SHOULD yield a better sound: connecting a laptop via USB or via "ANALOG IN" using 3.5mm to RCA cable? I haven't tested it myself as I do not have the proper cable available.
Cheers

Dec 12, 2009 at 11:19 AM Post #285 of 2,660
I'm enjoying this DAC as the days progress. I A/B'd my Philips DVD player and my laptop as source. On Rebecca Pindgeon's Spanish Harlem, I notice the voice of Rebecca through the philips DVD to be somewhat muffled or something like she's miles away from the microphone. However, with my laptop using as a source via Maverick, the vocal is VERY much alive, clear, holographic and the resolution is quite stunning which I never hear from the Philips!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back