Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Dec 7, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #241 of 2,660
I don't think so... But honestly: I think the freedom you have with the maverick is quite outstanding (especially if you consider the price tag). You have the "tube sound", tube rolling, opamp rolling, solid state "sound"... you could even change the output transistors of the headphone amp to modify the sound! So why do you want a "true" (technically) tube DAC?
wink.gif

best regards,
bearmann

Dec 7, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #242 of 2,660
well it's only preliminary, but seem like the maverick is not playing nice. Testing only Diana Krall, Fleetwood, and Norah Jone CDs right now, the vocal is a bit dry, Diana Krall sound like she has a cold, midrange is not very natural, maybe due to bad tube, tube not properly burned-in or both, top end a bit shrill and does not roll off very well, some plus points are the sound stage is acceptable, instrument separation is good, low-end is tight but not as well defined as I would like. Keep in mind that since this is still in the burn-in period and also I haven't roll any tube yet, things may change drammatically for the better. Also for some reasons the sound is a bit grainy, not sure if that's a problem or because of the design. Headphone gain is definitely high for Grado 325is but still very acceptable, no mod is needed, just dont turn the volume knob pass 10 o'clock. Well I'm gonna let the DAC settle in a bit more before drawing a final conclusion.
Testing equipt. Pioneer Elite CD/Lossless flac via USB -> Mav D1 -> Rotel 1070 -> B&W Dm603.

Dec 7, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #244 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by bearmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think so... But honestly: I think the freedom you have with the maverick is quite outstanding (especially if you consider the price tag). You have the "tube sound", tube rolling, opamp rolling, solid state "sound"... you could even change the output transistors of the headphone amp to modify the sound! So why do you want a "true" (technically) tube DAC?
wink.gif

best regards,
bearmann

Thanks bearmann,

Only It interests me as pure dac to connect to a CD as a transport, I buy the Xiang Sheng s for use only as dac with my cd as transport, again thanks and best regards

Dec 8, 2009 at 7:26 AM Post #245 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by lameduck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well it's only preliminary, but seem like the maverick is not playing nice. Testing only Diana Krall, Fleetwood, and Norah Jone CDs right now, the vocal is a bit dry, Diana Krall sound like she has a cold, midrange is not very natural, maybe due to bad tube, tube not properly burned-in or both, top end a bit shrill and does not roll off very well, some plus points are the sound stage is acceptable, instrument separation is good, low-end is tight but not as well defined as I would like. Keep in mind that since this is still in the burn-in period and also I haven't roll any tube yet, things may change drammatically for the better. Also for some reasons the sound is a bit grainy, not sure if that's a problem or because of the design. Headphone gain is definitely high for Grado 325is but still very acceptable, no mod is needed, just dont turn the volume knob pass 10 o'clock. Well I'm gonna let the DAC settle in a bit more before drawing a final conclusion.
Testing equipt. Pioneer Elite CD/Lossless flac via USB -> Mav D1 -> Rotel 1070 -> B&W Dm603.

this is a bit alarming. hope your impression will change once the DAC settles in. I'll be receiving mine today, hopefully, i can hear it for myself within the day. did you try the SS output or just the tube out?

Dec 8, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #247 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by lameduck /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This was definitely my impression too, until I let it burn in. Let it burn in a good amount of time, it really really improves.

Dec 9, 2009 at 10:23 AM Post #248 of 2,660
Dear ALL,
Does this DAC (or any aother outboard dac for that matter) really needs "burn in" in order to meet its peak performance?

I'm a bit disappointed with the Mav DAC because I did not notice (yet) any difference as regards to the SQ of my system.

Here is what I did:

I connected my DENON DVD 1940CI coaxial digital to the MAVERICK and connected the DVD's TOSLINK directly to my DENON AVR 1907 receiver and set the volume of each connections to same level so I can compare the two(A/B). I cannot seem to hear any difference in sound quality between the signal passing through the DAC and signal going directly to my receiver. My DENON amp is feeding a pair of Def Tech ProMonitor 800 connected to a ProSub 800. I still hope that things will improve. I received my unit yesterday and played it for 4 hours and left it overnight fed by my DVD player on repeat mode. I even left my amp on at zero volume.

Dec 9, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #250 of 2,660
Most people believe that burn in does help. People post their thoughts on amps/DACs as the hours accumulate (burn in process) and don't get questioned on even dramatic sound changes, since it's pretty much accepted that burn in exists.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hototay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear ALL,
Does this DAC (or any aother outboard dac for that matter) really needs "burn in" in order to meet its peak performance?

I'm a bit disappointed with the Mav DAC because I did not notice (yet) any difference as regards to the SQ of my system.

Here is what I did:

I connected my DENON DVD 1940CI coaxial digital to the MAVERICK and connected the DVD's TOSLINK directly to my DENON AVR 1907 receiver and set the volume of each connections to same level so I can compare the two(A/B). I cannot seem to hear any difference in sound quality between the signal passing through the DAC and signal going directly to my receiver. My DENON amp is feeding a pair of Def Tech ProMonitor 800 connected to a ProSub 800. I still hope that things will improve. I received my unit yesterday and played it for 4 hours and left it overnight fed by my DVD player on repeat mode. I even left my amp on at zero volume.

Dec 9, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #252 of 2,660
@hototay:
With all due respect, but those are $150/piece bookshelf speaker. The DENON isn't bad either and I would guess that you need a trained ear to hear any kind of difference between different sources in your setup.

@MartinV56:
Did you buy the WE396A online? If so, where?
smily_headphones1.gif

best regards.
bearmann

Dec 9, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #253 of 2,660
Still waiting for shipping details for my order, proberly be part of the Dec 14th batch now. Looking forward to having a play with it before my woo gets here!

Ordered it with the upgraded GE 5670 so hopefully will be nice with my speakers.

Keep the reviews/opinions coming, always nice to read what other people have to say. And thanks for the pics Martin!

Dec 9, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #254 of 2,660
Quote:

@hototay:
With all due respect, but those are $150/piece bookshelf speaker. The DENON isn't bad either and I would guess that you need a trained ear to hear any kind of difference between different sources in your setup.

@MartinV56:
smily_headphones1.gif

best regards.
bearmann

In Ebay, 396A, great deals on NOS Tubes, Vacuum Tubes on eBay!

Dec 9, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #255 of 2,660
Quote:

@hototay:

@MartinV56:
smily_headphones1.gif

best regards.
bearmann

so i think it's not wise after all to add dac if you have "cheap" components in your system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back