Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Dec 9, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #256 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by weibby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a burning question, whats the major difference with the old XS OEM?

This *is* the xs version. It is not a new version but a revised version. The only differences are: 1) one of the analog inputs have been moved from the back to the front, and 2) dip8 sockets have been installed so you can roll opamps. The only other difference I know of is cosmetic(ex. the faceplate). So internally it's the same as the xs(which is the oem) and the grantfidelity one.

Dec 9, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #257 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by hototay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so i think it's not wise after all to add dac if you have "cheap" components in your system.

I'd just say that you should always upgrade the weakest part of your setup - and in your case it's not the source... that's all.

best regards.
bearmann

Dec 9, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #258 of 2,660
I have Logitech Z-2300 speakers, and Ultrasone HFI-780 headphones. Would this product be fine as it is, to use with my speakers and headphones whether it was connected to my PS3 or laptop, or would I also need to buy an amp?

Dec 10, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #260 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by bballaSR19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have Logitech Z-2300 speakers, and Ultrasone HFI-780 headphones. Would this product be fine as it is, to use with my speakers and headphones whether it was connected to my PS3 or laptop, or would I also need to buy an amp?

Z-2300 are powered speakers, so you can't use an amp with it.

Since you are using computer/PS3 as sound source, the DAC will help you reduce the noise, enhance the clarity of the sound for your speakers for certain degree. However. Z-2300 is a "mutli-media" speaker, you will not see "too much" enhancement.
It will definitely enhance the SQ of your headphone.

Dec 10, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #261 of 2,660
Quote:

so i think it's not wise after all to add dac if you have "cheap" components in your system.

Hi Hototay, can you let me know what kind music you test with this DAC? I will suggest you to listen to some Jazz/vocal, it might be easier for you to hear the "difference" by listening to these types music. You may also try to use headphone, it will be much much easier to find the enhancement by using headphone.

Dec 10, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #262 of 2,660
maverick5.jpg

<
<
maverick1k.jpg

<
<
maverick2l.jpg

<
<
maverick3.jpg

<
<
maverick4.jpg

A few picture for your viewing pleasure. The tube is a the Raytheon version of the 396a, with the windmill getter. The Faltality headset is for gaming only, for $10 AR, its values is hard to beat.
One thing I like about the D1 is the flexibility of the connections, notice how I utilized almost all the connections. The tube-out is feeding a Rotel 1070, the normal out is feeding the Dayton ES sub(Dayton subs are amazing values for their price, easily beat Polks, Velodyne, Klips...etc that cost 2-3x as much), USB to PC and Coaxial to the Pioneer DV-48V,
And of course lastly the 325is connected in front. Grado cans are those that sound really good out of the box, you dont need expensive gear to drive them, but to get them to the next level you have to spend quite a bit.

Cheers
beerchug.gif

Dec 10, 2009 at 7:00 AM Post #263 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by JustVisit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Hototay, can you let me know what kind music you test with this DAC? I will suggest you to listen to some Jazz/vocal, it might be easier for you to hear the "difference" by listening to these types music. You may also try to use headphone, it will be much much easier to find the enhancement by using headphone.

Hi Ryan,
I listened to Norah Jones, David Murray, Van Morrison, Chesky Records Ultimate Demo Disc, Jesse Cook, Steely Dan, etc.

btw, Bearman, I bought this DAC primarily to stream my flac files in my Dolby Digital Live-equipped ACER laptop via TOSLINK. As regards to the source you were referring to, I thought I might expect some kind of improvement from this also as this is a $100 only DVD player. We are all aiming towards improving our listening experience, and I thought that the cheapest way to upgrade my set up is by adding an outboard DAC. I thought wrong. Major equipment upgrade is not yet an option as of now. Maybe if I win the lottery.

I still have my fingers crossed though that in due time, all things will get better.

Dec 10, 2009 at 7:17 AM Post #265 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by bearmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd just say that you should always upgrade the weakest part of your setup - and in your case it's not the source... that's all.

best regards.
bearmann

Dear Bearman, have you had any experience with the DefTech ProMonitor 800 in order to judge them unfairly?

Dec 10, 2009 at 10:09 AM Post #266 of 2,660
Quote:

Dear Bearman, have you had any experience with the DefTech ProMonitor 800 in order to judge them unfairly?

No, I haven't had the opportunity to listen to those speakers and no, I didn't judge them unfairly. It's common sense that your speakers and your room have the most influence on the sound quality. Because of that, you should spend the majority of your money for speakers and should take your time to find the best position for them in your room. After that amplification and a proper source don't increase the sound quality very much - as long as both are above a certain level. (no onboard-sound from a PC nor any crappy $50 t-amp from ebay)

Again I don't say that your monitors are bad, "cheap" or not worth their money! I just say that your DENON player fits well in your current setup and that it's not the weakest part of the chain...

IMHO (!) the Maverick is the right thing for you, if you need more connectivity and want to experience the "tube sound" and want a headphone amp. But if you just bought it to significantly (!) improve the sound quality of your speaker system - you won't be satisfied.

just my 2 cent...

best regards.
bearmann

Dec 10, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #267 of 2,660
After hours of continuous signal feeding to the DAC, and replacing the tube win a JAN GE 5670 (it is OK to let go of the support wire to the tube, right?), I did finally notice significant improvement in SQ! At least with my laptop as source via toslink , streaming flac files. This is the main reason why I bought this DAC anyway. I cannot convey my enjoyment in words but definitely, no more regrets..I will try it with my DVD player probably in a couple of days and see what will happen. I am now a believer of "burn in". To quote elwappo99 in his post: "...Let it burn in a good amount of time, it really really improves..."

Dec 10, 2009 at 10:41 AM Post #268 of 2,660
Ryan,

I just have a minor issue with the "direct" button. when I press it to bypass the volume, my left channel speaker sounded garbled and quieter relative to the right. In any case, not really a problem as I can always leave it depress and leave the volume knob at a certain level.

Cheers!

Dec 10, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #269 of 2,660
Order placed for the D1 w/ NOS GE 5670W tube
biggrin.gif

Can't wait for January when I will get to try it out with my DT880 250ohm set!

Review and pics will be posted
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #270 of 2,660
Question about the blue light in infront. How bright is it? I tend to listen to my music in a dim setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back