Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Nov 26, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #196 of 2,660
Can't wait to see pics and first impressions.

Nov 28, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #198 of 2,660
Has anyone received theirs yet?

Nov 29, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #200 of 2,660
I just tried my friend's unit (the old one, not the D1). Really surprised me at how good and powerful it was, with both the HF2 and the HD600. Count me very interested, will be great for the hostel.
wink.gif

Nov 30, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #201 of 2,660
Just ordered one! Looks good. I don't use headphones at the moment but this looks like a nice replacement to my creative x-fi usb sound card
tongue.gif

Nov 30, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #203 of 2,660
maverickymec.jpg

Got mine this moment.
smily_headphones1.gif

Can't post any pics of the inside at this moment because I don't have the necessary tools at hand. Will have to wait until it has reached room temperature (around 5°C outdoors).

EDIT:

Thanks to my Leatherman I was able to open the Maverick. I already replaced the stock tube (6N3P) with a NOS GE JAN 5670W.
Here you can find some pictures...

best regards.
bearmann

Nov 30, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #204 of 2,660
Nice bearmann. Been watching this thread closely waiting for another update as I'm in the market for an amp.

Got an initial update for us as to how its sounding?

Anyone else got one of these yet?

Dan

Nov 30, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #205 of 2,660
Hi Dan,
so far I am using the tube out with the mentioned NOS 5670W. I am listening to Vienna Teng through my KRK Rokit RP6 G2 - sounds wonderful. Deep bass (well for 6" monitors at least), excellent voice.
But don't forget that the Maverick just arrived two hours ago!

To all Maverick DAC owners!
Got somebody of you guys WASAPI or kernel streaming in foobar working?
At this moment I can only use the Maverick through direct sound. WASAPI and kernel streaming are throwing an error message.

regards.
bearmann

Nov 30, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #206 of 2,660
Thanks Bearman for sharing your initial impression of your new Mav Dac. Are you planning to replace the OPAMP also? There really is no surprise as to the innards (XS & GF DAC 09) is there? This would probably be one of my longest seven days of my life - waiting for this DAC.
icon10.gif

My pair of JAN GE 5670 (LM4562 OPAMPs also) are on their way intended to replace the stock tube once my unit arrives. This is my first time to roll tubes. How hard is it to do this? Is it true that you need to use a pair of gloves in order not to leave any finger or palm mark on the tube which will shorten its life?

Please advise.

Dec 1, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #207 of 2,660
Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. I recently bought a condo and have shared walls now, so no more rocking out with the speaker system whenever I please :frowning2: Dusted off my old MisterX custom pimeta amp and bought a pair of Sennheiser HD595s because I thought I lost my Beyerdynamics DT770/80s in the move (turns out my brother "borrowed" them without my knowledge, so I have those back now too).

Just when I had convinced myself that the amp was still good for my needs (just mp3s and gaming with my computer as the source, nothing fancy), I started trolling around the forums again (bad idea) and ended up deciding I needed to add at least a DAC to pair with the pimeta and wanted to spend under $200. Lo and behold, a beautiful looking DAC/amp combo for my $200 price point! The early reviews and involvement of the company's owner in this thread sold me on pre-ordering one of the D1's.

I would post back with my thoughts when I get it, but honestly I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, so I doubt it would do anyone any good. Just a random "thanks" for everyone sharing their knowledge/input in the thread and message board.

Dec 1, 2009 at 12:18 PM Post #209 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by CANiSLAYu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. I recently bought a condo and have shared walls now, so no more rocking out with the speaker system whenever I please :frowning2: Dusted off my old MisterX custom pimeta amp and bought a pair of Sennheiser HD595s because I thought I lost my Beyerdynamics DT770/80s in the move (turns out my brother "borrowed" them without my knowledge, so I have those back now too).

Just when I had convinced myself that the amp was still good for my needs (just mp3s and gaming with my computer as the source, nothing fancy), I started trolling around the forums again (bad idea) and ended up deciding I needed to add at least a DAC to pair with the pimeta and wanted to spend under $200. Lo and behold, a beautiful looking DAC/amp combo for my $200 price point! The early reviews and involvement of the company's owner in this thread sold me on pre-ordering one of the D1's.

I would post back with my thoughts when I get it, but honestly I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, so I doubt it would do anyone any good. Just a random "thanks" for everyone sharing their knowledge/input in the thread and message board.

What other DACs do you own/listened to? what is your reference point for judging the SQ of Maverick?

Dec 1, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #210 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by cha_indian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What other DACs do you own/listened to? what is your reference point for judging the SQ of Maverick?

Hi Cha_indian,

I didn't see anything in CANiSLAYu's post that points to him judging the SQ of the Maverick. I believe he's just being appreciative of this forum's input and was sold out likewise by the involvement of Ryan in this thread. I just hope Ryan will be as impressive and consistent in answering our "post-order" inquiries as he did with our pre order questions.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back