Stereo crosstalk, dB:-61.8 / -61.3

Nov 20, 2009 at 10:59 AM Post #168 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by weibby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the D1 right?

This is not D1. We haven't started to ship D1 yet
biggrin.gif

Nov 22, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #169 of 2,660
Well I just put in an order for the new D1, judging from my receipt number I'm the 38th guy to order this thing from the website. Anyway it's interesting that with such an inexpensive product Maverick still able to provide a host of options. If the SQ is some what acceptable I'd say that Ryan has winner on his hand. On a side note, I plan to rolling some tubes with this dac and is a bit confused by the variant of NOS tubes out there, why some 5670 tubes are more expensive than other even thought they are of the same brand? Any one has any recommendation?

I will do a mini review of the dac, pre and post tube rolling

beerchug.gif

Nov 22, 2009 at 10:32 AM Post #170 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by lameduck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I just put in an order for the new D1, judging from my receipt number I'm the 38th guy to order this thing from the website. Anyway it's interesting that with such an inexpensive product Maverick still able to provide a host of options. If the SQ is some what acceptable I'd say that Ryan has winner on his hand. On a side note, I plan to rolling some tubes with this dac and is a bit confused by the variant of NOS tubes out there, why some 5670 tubes are more expensive than other even thought they are of the same brand? Any one has any recommendation?

I will do a mini review of the dac, pre and post tube rolling

beerchug.gif

I am no tube expert, but I try to put my 2 cents.

There were quite a few factories manufacturing 5670 tubes in the past. Even for the same factory, there have been different versions.

It is believed western made 5670 has better sound quality than the Chinese/Russian clones.

GE, Sylvania, Raytheon, WE they all made 5670 tubes.

You can try GE and Sylvania JAN (Military) version 5670 tube. They are widely available and reasonable priced. I believe most our customers replacing the stock tube with GE/Sylvania JAN tube.

For better performance, you can try WE396A or Raytheon windmill getter, they are more expensive than above 2 models. The WE396A is probably the best one, but it is also the most expensive tube ( ~ $50 per tube).

There is also Russian 6N3P-I, a 5670 clone made for Russia military. I've never tried this tube and don't know if it is any better than the Chinese tube used in our DAC. The Chinese tube comes with the DAC was manufactured by Beijing Tube factory in the 70's for Chinese military.

Nov 22, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #171 of 2,660
I'm thinking about picking up one of these to replace my current creative x-fi usb soundcard. I don't do any headphones at all (haha while I'm posting on head-fi...) and plan on using this strictly as a dac. At the given price I'd love to try one of these out.

Nov 23, 2009 at 11:05 AM Post #172 of 2,660
Wow! I've been looking for a DAC/Amp and this one looks like the one for me.

Won't be able to order until at least Christmas though. ]:

Nov 23, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #174 of 2,660
WOW! I emailed Ryan from Maverick and not only did he respond within an HOUR of me placing the ticket, he answered my question courteously and respectfully. I emailed to ask if they would be raising the price after the pre-order special. I explained I could not purchase them now, since I am a student, and money is tight. He responded quickly and politely, and, get this, said that, while they will begin charging for shipping after the deal is over, when I order, he'll offer me the $199 shipped price! What a nice guy! If Maverick Audio keeps their customer service this stellar, they will have MANY customers in line. I can only hope the quality of the D1 is as good as the quality of the customer service I received today.

Nov 24, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #175 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinV56 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Canuck Audio Mart • View topic - Grant Fidelity DAC-09 first impressions
About

Xiang Sheng, Maverick, Grant Fidelity,

"The same dog but with a different collar"

Thanks for pointing out the obvious and well-discussed fact. Guess how many brand name TVs are actually manufactured by a single company from China call TCL. This thread is served to weight in the pros and cons of each brand. So let's just hope that Ryan pre-sale support = his post-sale support.

Nov 24, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #176 of 2,660
Given that XS and GF tied up, kicking maverick out of the picture.
Rachel has already said that Maverick is not allowed to rebrand the XS DAC01
and remaining stock is already sold back to XS.

This only comes down to 2 things -
1. D1 is a XS mutation
or
2. Whatever that has been discussed within that thread posted is a farce..

So I won't say exactly the same collar.

Nov 24, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #177 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by lameduck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for pointing out the obvious and well-discussed fact. Guess how many brand name TVs are actually manufactured by a single company from China call TCL. This thread is served to weight in the pros and cons of each brand. So let's just hope that Ryan pre-sale support = his post-sale support.

I agree. Let's focus on more meaningful topics. After all, what matters is not where it is being made. Feature, sound/build quality, price and customer support are more important.

Let me clarify: Tube Magic D1 is our exclusive product/design. I personally have spent a great deal of time in developing it.

Nov 24, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #178 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by weibby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Given that XS and GF tied up, kicking maverick out of the picture.
Rachel has already said that Maverick is not allowed to rebrand the XS DAC01
and remaining stock is already sold back to XS.

Actually, this is not what was said. In the thread Rachel said that XS has entered a distribution deal where Maverick will no longer be rebranding the XS after November, not that they were not allowed to.

So, seeing as how this is... I couldn't see the new D1 as anything but a complete redesign of the Tube Magic/Dac-09/whatever-you-want-to-call-it. An overhaul of a rebrand is NOT necessarily a bad thing in my opinion. If you want to call it a mutation, feel free. I know I'll be definitely checking it out.
biggrin.gif

Nov 24, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #179 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by JustVisit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree. Let's focus on more meaningful topics. After all, what matters is not where it is being made. Feature, sound/build quality, price and customer support are more important.

Let me clarify: Tube Magic D1 is our exclusive product/design. I personally have spent a great deal of time in developing it.

That's good to have one of the designers in this thread, the Cirrus Logic dac have for main D / A converter and National Semiconductor LF353N op-amp for which such LF353N replace by the LM4562?

You think or what improvements can be made,thanks

Nov 24, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #180 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinV56 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's good to have one of the designers in this thread, the Cirrus Logic dac have for main D / A converter and National Semiconductor LF353N op-amp for which such LF353N replace by the LM4562?

You think or what improvements can be made,thanks

I haven't tried LM4562 with our DAC. The LF353N works very well in our design, and I don't think there will be big improvement. We have tried a few BB OpAmp, to me the improvement is not significant.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back