Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Jun 11, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #2,582 of 2,660
WiZLV,

First off let me say I was a little surprised in your choice to compare the U100 to the D1 (Plus preferably), as the feature sets are not similar. Some of the posts you put on other threads may be better direct apples to apples comparison. Before posting I also must say that I have never listened to a U100, much less listened directly to the D1 Plus head to head in an audio comparison. As such I will limit my comments only to what I know.

Yulong U100 - USB or 3.5mm line-in input only, straight DAC output only....one analog L/R output......no tube pre-out, soldered OpAmps....no socketed chips for swapping, powered headphone output rated at 100 mW at 300 Ohms.

Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 Plus - 5 inputs......USB, Coax Digital, Optical Digital, Coax analog, or line-in, 2 analog L/R pre-outs.....traditional DAC conversion to analog and digital to tube analog output, socketed OpAmps for easy swapping, socketed tube for tube rolling, up sampling, and headphone output rated at 500 mW at 300Ohms (1000 mW at 32 Ohms and 300 mW at 600 Ohms).

If your needs are for the most flexible unit, then it is very clear that the D1 is the best unit based on feature sets. If your need is only for USB input to drive headphones or to output to an amplifier or powered speakers, then the answer could only be based on a head-to-head shoot out.

Jun 11, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #2,583 of 2,660
VTHokie83,
i'm need only for USB input to drive headphones
I'm interested only in sound quality in headphones from usb

What you can say about D1 in comparison to Creative ZxR, Titanium HD, Asus STX, Aune T1, Aune X1, Audiogd 11\15?

Jun 12, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #2,584 of 2,660
WiZLV,

I only have experience with the AudioGD 15, though I did not have the Maverick when I had my short time with it (since it was borrowed). I do remember that I liked it just fine, but was not "wowed" enough to push me to make a purchase. Some of that was that I was ultimately swayed to buy a more full featured and flexible unit such as the Maverick Audio D1. I remember the AudioGD to be musical and very good sounding, but a little slow in the bass area (will noticeable roll off), there was less punch than I was looking for. Mids and highs were also less detailed and sounded a bit "colored", not at all crisp and detailed which I prefer. Soundstage was slightly compressed and narrow. Plus components are soldered and component swapping would require de-soldering and re-soldering on the mother board.

A couple of weeks after the AudioGD I was able to test an Audinst HUD MX-1, and that unit impressed me more. Most of the short comings of the AudioGD were non existent, and if I had chosen a USB style DAC/Amp it may have been the unit for me.....high quality in choice of DAC and OpAmp components, though like other small units the components were soldered.....thus component swapping would be rather difficult also.

Jun 12, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #2,585 of 2,660
Guys,
I checked in ebay, found dual OP627 for $7.5/pcs, compare to pict in maverick site..its look similiar.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Pieces-Dual-to-Mono-OPA627AU-OPA627-FREE-SHIPPING-/120763718688?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1e141c20#ht_582wt_1124

Do I need browndog to install into existing socket?

Be aware that opa627's are fairly expensive opamps, and are most likely fake if purchased for $7.50.

Here's a Head-Fi link that goes into great detail: http://www.head-fi.org/t/316937/fake-opa627s-in-the-wild

The ones straight from Maverick would be a great option.

Oct 9, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #2,588 of 2,660
Has any one checked to see if the BP627's from Maverick are authentic?  I was thinking about buying  2 pair to place in my son's D-1 and my cheap Bellari VP-129 phono preamp.  Typically the 0627's go for about $35 each for a single op amp.  Maverick is selling them for $30pr with a brown dog.

Thanks,

Larry

Oct 10, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #2,589 of 2,660
  Has any one checked to see if the BP627's from Maverick are authentic?  I was thinking about buying  2 pair to place in my son's D-1 and my cheap Bellari VP-129 phono preamp.  Typically the 0627's go for about $35 each for a single op amp.  Maverick is selling them for $30pr with a brown dog.

Thanks,

Larry

Larry,
As suggested by this thread , I ordered OPA627 from Maverick, now running in D1 smoothly...the sound much better than D1 stock.
I found lot of cheaper OPA627 in ebay ($7/pieces), but I don;t know this is original or fake

Recomended to buy from Maverick directly, they don't want take risk by selling the fake one for their DAC unit.

~ronni~

Oct 10, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #2,590 of 2,660
Thanks Ronni.  I am going to order a pair and see how they sound in the D-1.  Currently we are running it with the LM opamps and an upgraded tube.  It is being used as a preamp and dac for my old Parasound A21 amp that I gave to my son.  It is great as a DAC and an ok preamp.  The usb section sucks so I am going to get a Dragonfly DAC-1 for my son's computer music.

Oct 10, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #2,591 of 2,660
  Thanks Ronni.  I am going to order a pair and see how they sound in the D-1.  Currently we are running it with the LM opamps and an upgraded tube.  It is being used as a preamp and dac for my old Parasound A21 amp that I gave to my son.  It is great as a DAC and an ok preamp.  The usb section sucks so I am going to get a Dragonfly DAC-1 for my son's computer music.

I'm using D1 to feed my SET 300B tube amp, and working well. Sometimes pair to my HD600 (300 Ohm cans) and D1 amp can drive this cans (volume set not more than 10 o'clock).
Beside upgraded tube and opamp , I also change power and USB cable..not the expensive but able to  improve the sound.

Regarding small DAC for your son, you can consider Audioengine D3 as well.

Have fun with Opamp rolling

~ronni~

Oct 10, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #2,592 of 2,660
I am hoping the 0627's add more detail and dynamics without losing the air, transparency and wide sound stage of the LM4562 op amps.  0627's certainly have a unique sonic character- leaning on the slightly warmer side of neutral with good dynamics.  I am really interested in seeing how they sound in my Bellari phono preamp (I will be upgrading to a Pro-Ject tube box IIse in about 6 months though).  

By the way, if any one is interested, I recently rolled these Sparko Op amps in my Van Alstine DAC replacing the BB 0627's and the results were spectacular.  There is much more detail and resolution with improved dynamics.  It took about 30 hours for them to break in.  At that point the sound dramatically changed to a warmer sound with deeper bass.  They breathed new life into my aging DAC.  I was going to buy a Wyred 4 Sound DSDse DAC2 until I replaced the Op amps.  The Wyred 4 sound is still on my radar and I will probably buy one in about a year.

http://sparkoslabs.com/discrete-op-amps/

I just found a review of the D2 with the sparko op amps, it may be something to consider.  Although I have yet to find a review comparing the sparko's to the 0627's.  The only draw back to them are that they are a little expensive.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/sparkos_ss3602_e.html

I just ordered a Dragonfly DAC V1.0 from amazon for $99.  Are these things reliable?  It will be hooked up to the MavericK D-1 and a Parasound A21 amp as well as a pair of Seinnheiser  439 or 449's  (any recommendations as to which of these are better for music, I want 32ohm so that they can be used for a portable music player as well as for a home stereo.  In the past I had bought a pair of 448's for my daughter and they sounded good for the price and they were comfortable).

Thanks,

Larry

Oct 12, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #2,593 of 2,660
I am hoping the 0627's add more detail and dynamics without losing the air, transparency and wide sound stage of the LM4562 op amps.  0627's certainly have a unique sonic character- leaning on the slightly warmer side of neutral with good dynamics.  I am really interested in seeing how they sound in my Bellari phono preamp (I will be upgrading to a Pro-Ject tube box IIse in about 6 months though).  

By the way, if any one is interested, I recently rolled these Sparko Op amps in my Van Alstine DAC replacing the BB 0627's and the results were spectacular.  There is much more detail and resolution with improved dynamics.  It took about 30 hours for them to break in.  At that point the sound dramatically changed to a warmer sound with deeper bass.  They breathed new life into my aging DAC.  I was going to buy a Wyred 4 Sound DSDse DAC2 until I replaced the Op amps.  The Wyred 4 sound is still on my radar and I will probably buy one in about a year.

I just found a review of the D2 with the sparko op amps, it may be something to consider.  Although I have yet to find a review comparing the sparko's to the 0627's.  The only draw back to them are that they are a little expensive.

I just ordered a Dragonfly DAC V1.0 from amazon for $99.  Are these things reliable?  It will be hooked up to the MavericK D-1 and a Parasound A21 amp as well as a pair of Seinnheiser  439 or 449's  (any recommendations as to which of these are better for music, I want 32ohm so that they can be used for a portable music player as well as for a home stereo.  In the past I had bought a pair of 448's for my daughter and they sounded good for the price and they were comfortable).

Thanks,

Larry

Yes, the 0627's add more detail and dynamics and slightly more wider soundstage than the D1 stock.
Interesting, regarding sparkoslabs opamp. I never heard this product.

Dragonfly? yes this reliable and good DAC.
I bought cheaper , HifimeDIY asynch DAC $57 has similiar DAC chip inside (eSabre)
http://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs/U2-DAC

~ronni~

Oct 12, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #2,594 of 2,660

Thanks,

Larry

Yes, the 0627's add more detail and dynamics and slightly more wider soundstage than the D1 stock.
Interesting, regarding sparkoslabs opamp. I never heard this product.

Dragonfly? yes this reliable and good DAC.
I bought cheaper , HifimeDIY asynch DAC $57 has similiar DAC chip inside (eSabre)
http://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs/U2-DAC

~ronni~

How do the 0627's compare to the LM4562's?   The LM's were a huge upgrade to the stock OA's.  The tube upgrade also made a huge difference.  I bought the D-1 with the optional tube upgrade but I rolled a couple  of other tubes and finally settled on one that has a warmer yet detailed and dynamic sound.  I forget which tube we are using in it off hand.

I also have a Grant Fidelity Pre/DAC-11 and it is a major step up in quality compared to the D-1, especially the USB section.  I am using an NOS 1960 non A frame Telefunken in the GF and it sounds great with a Class D Audio CDA 254 amp and a pair of Magnepan MMG's.

My main system is a BAT Vk51se tube preamp, Pass Labs X250 amp, Van Alstine hybrid tube/ss DAC and Magnepan 1.6's speakers.  TT is a vintage Thorens TD-145.

By the way.  Those Sparko op amps have detail galore.  Way more than the BB 0627's.  I want to try a pair of Burson OA's next just for fun.

And thanks for the tip about the diy DAC.  I am going to get one for my daughter as well as one for her Nexus 7 that is compatible with android.

Regards,

Larry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back