Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Oct 19, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #1,876 of 2,660
Bewildered D1 user reporting back with results from suggested troubleshooting. Here they are:

DAC section with no opamps - sound is distorted! What???
DAC section with no opamps and Headphone section with any opamp (LF353N, LM4562) - distorted! What again...
DAC section with LF353N and Headphone section with any opamp - channel imbalance at low levels (4th click onwards ok)
DAC section with LM4562 and Headphone section with LF353N - no problemo (clinical sounding though)
DAC section with LM4562 and Headphone section with LM4562 - perfecto!

I checked with the courier company and I will be receiving the additional opamps on Thursday - LT1364, OPA2107 and LME42970HA metal can with DIP converter. Let's see what happens after that. By the way, will it be safe to use the LME49720HA on the Headphone section? I understand Spanky mentioned this opamp having some DC offset.

Any thoughts / advice appreciated.

Quote:
take out the center opamp all together, and try it with the headphone opamp plugged in only.  And try all 3 opamps in the headphone position before you call it a night, I am curious.  I would also try the RCA output if you have an adapter to plug your headphones into and see if there is any channel imbalance if you raise the volume to near max(since its not the amp it will be a little low)

Also the amp has some channel imbalance till about your 4th click in.

Oct 19, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #1,878 of 2,660
Just got my D1 and have run into an issue. I don't think it's the D1's fault, but mine.

I have it connected to my computer via an optical cable (using the on-board optical out from my motherboard). And I don't have any free USB ports to use. The computer volume is maxed out. iTunes volume is maxed out. The plugs are in tightly. The "source" on the D1 is set to "optical." There are no other speakers or headphones connected to my computer.

I'm using Realtek HD with Windows 7 to manage my audio.

If it makes any difference, I'm using this optical cable: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022901&p_id=2764&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

HELP!
frown.gif

Oct 19, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #1,879 of 2,660

Quote:
Just got my D1 and have run into an issue. I don't think it's the D1's fault, but mine.

I have it connected to my computer via an optical cable (using the on-board optical out from my motherboard). And I don't have any free USB ports to use. The computer volume is maxed out. iTunes volume is maxed out. The plugs are in tightly. The "source" on the D1 is set to "optical." There are no other speakers or headphones connected to my computer.

I'm using Realtek HD with Windows 7 to manage my audio.

If it makes any difference, I'm using this optical cable: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022901&p_id=2764&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

HELP!
frown.gif

I don't think you defined the problem. Is it that there is no audio, or audio is not very loud?

Oct 19, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #1,886 of 2,660
Try setting USB as default.

Worst case scenario, try out of external device like a PSP or something though the analog RCA or Line-In and see if you get any sound. 

On another note when you connect the USB a light should go on.

Also this is a stupid question but I gotta ask anyway, make sure your connecting your headphones in the right socket.  Or open the unit up and make sure there are opamps plugged in.

Quote:
I did. Got nothing.

I've gone ahead and connected the D1 to my computer via USB. W7 successfully installed the driver for it. Changed the source on the D1 to USB. Still no sound at all.

Digital Output is set as default.

Realtek Audio driver is updated.

Oct 19, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #1,887 of 2,660
How do I set the USB as default? I don't see that as an option when it is plugged in. Also, I can't plug in a line-in and headphones (at least not right now). Both line-in and headphones out use 1/4", and the D1 only came with one 1/4" adapter. And yes, it is plugged into the right socket, hehe. Don't have any allen wrenches small enough to open the unit up.
frown.gif

Oct 19, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #1,890 of 2,660

Quote:
The only opamp that is used in the headphone output is the one nearest the headphone output.  The one in the center is only used if you make use of the RCA outputs.

SHENANIGANS I SAY! I thought the DAC opamp was just for the DAC... Then the signal gets split to the headphone out and the RCA out. I'll bust open my D1 if I have to in order to get down to the bottom of this.

*EDIT*
Cal, the static is normal. That's just how it works. I would probably recommend using USB (as long as you don't get any grounding noise) instead of the Realtek digital out. Onboard output is terrible and in my opinion worse than the D1's USB input. The D1 locks the sample rate while onboard audio can silently resample audio and degrade quality without you knowing.

Just a small reminder to any "new" people to this thread, check out the condensed FAQ's about the D1 and A1. I recently modded my A1 and put up a tutorial in the FAQ. Enjoy:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/470639/maverick-audio-tubemagic-d1-dac-amp-condensed-faq-and-info-thread
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/500259/maverick-audio-tubemagic-a1-hybrid-amp-condensed-faq-and-info-thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back