Matrix X-SPDIF 2 - a Singxer SU-1 killer?
Jun 18, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #256 of 306
Good day. I don’t have I2S technology on my system. From what I’ve read, the Matrix SPDIF 2 seems to be more aimed towards I2S. Would the digital, USB sound be better over AES, where I would be running a Mac mini via the Matrix over AES to my Metronome Le DAC? I just don’t know if the Matrix would in fact offer sonic benefits over AES??
For my iMac to Sonnet Morpheus USB DAC, using the Matrix to AES was recommended on the forum for that DAC. I can't detect any difference. Sometimes I think I can but I'm probably fooling myself to justify the rather high expense. At best, maybe sounds were a little smoother. I'm have the DAC connected both ways (direct USB to iMac and AES to Matrix) so it makes for near instantaneous A/Bing. Any gap much longer than that and I don't trust my hearing memory. I use the same methodology to evaluate DACs and it's always easy to hear differences. My advice is to save the money and put the same money towards other headphones, new pads, or anything else where you'll get $400 worth of pleasure out of it.

Jun 18, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #257 of 306
I purchased the Matrix DDC (thanks, Arthur!) to replace my trusty 192/24 V-Link SPDIF converter between desktop PC and MHDT Labs Orchid. I used the same terrific coax cable from the Matrix to Orchid that I've used for 2-3 years with the V-Link.

I immediately heard differences with the Matrix in the system. These were not eye/ear-popping, dramatic things, but a noticeable sonic bump in:
  • note separation & clarity
  • soundstaging
  • quietness of the background behind instruments or voices
None of it amounts to a paradigm shift or dramatic news. But it does mean that IMO, this upgrade was immediately worth the money I put into it...

One of these days I'll try the Matrix (or a new/2nd Matrix) in my side system, where that same V-Link + a different coax cable feeds signal to the very good Audio GD R2R-11 MK2. My goal in the side system would be to see if similar sonic benefits accrue w/the Matrix used there; also to check how much upside this DAC really has (it's that good, that I would think like this).

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #258 of 306
That really depends on the implementation of USB on your particular DAC. And to some extent the quality of your transport.

In theory, a perfectly done USB input would sound identical to any other inputs. In practice, for various reasons, that is not always true. In my experience, using AES is often among the very best ways to connect a system for the best result. Not always, but more often than not.

I obviously can't predict what your particular components would do in this situation. But a lot of people have had great results in their various systems by using the Matrix to convert USB to AES.

Jun 20, 2022 at 2:05 AM Post #259 of 306
A couple people have mentioned earlier on in the thread that the matrix wasn't coming on after the computer source went to sleep or was turned off. I'm having this issue with my current DDC, and have a matrix on the way. Has anyone solved this issue? I've already run through the driver/usb suspend culprits.

Jun 20, 2022 at 3:19 AM Post #260 of 306
Mine is under a month old and just started doing this. I have to unplug and plug in the USB cable to the Matrix and that's turned it right back on every time. So many other USB devices have no problem waking up when I wake my mac. If something is USB powered it should just come on and the Matrix is failing at that basic function so I wonder what the issue is.

Jun 20, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #261 of 306
Mine is under a month old and just started doing this. I have to unplug and plug in the USB cable to the Matrix and that's turned it right back on every time. So many other USB devices have no problem waking up when I wake my mac. If something is USB powered it should just come on and the Matrix is failing at that basic function so I wonder what the issue is.
Buy a streamer and give up on using your PC as a source. The X-SPDIF 2 was giving me blue screens at some stage but since I have added an iFi Zen Stream, it runs like a dream. I don't even know it's there, both it and the Stream are always on and never missed a beat. As I'm using the I2S input of my Venus II, the USB input remains available for the PC. Sound quality wise, the upgrade from PC to the Stream plus SPDIF-2 is striking in Audirvana and Roon.

Jun 20, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #262 of 306
Buy a streamer and give up on using your PC as a source. The X-SPDIF 2 was giving me blue screens at some stage but since I have added an iFi Zen Stream, it runs like a dream. I don't even know it's there, both it and the Stream are always on and never missed a beat. As I'm using the I2S input of my Venus II, the USB input remains available for the PC. Sound quality wise, the upgrade from PC to the Stream plus SPDIF-2 is striking in Audirvana and Roon.
It is a good suggestion, but not a solution to the problem.

Jun 20, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #264 of 306
It doesn't solve the issue, only introduces a new element to work around one aspect. For someone running off a computer and using it for more than music streaming adding a streamer won't fix the handshake issue. I appreciate it, though.

Jun 20, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #265 of 306
I have not experienced the described issue, but I generally connect to a music server of some sort, and they are either Linux or occasionally Android based.

Are we sure this is a Matrix problem and not a Windows/macOS thing? I have had more than my fair share of sleep/standby related headaches with various Windows laptops and desktops over the years, involving all sorts of USB devices. Including a few DACs. I think someone above mentioned it worked fine and then suddenly started acting up, which to me suggests an OS update breaking the functionality.

Just brainstorming here, and this doesn't exactly solve anything... but perhaps rolling back any recent updates might help? Or a focus on chipset drivers (which include the USB host controller), trying the newest but also some older versions?

Jun 20, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #266 of 306
It doesn't solve the issue, only introduces a new element to work around one aspect. For someone running off a computer and using it for more than music streaming adding a streamer won't fix the handshake issue. I appreciate it, though.
I am doing exactly that, using a computer for much mor than music. A streamer will give you best sound quality and eliminate any issues with the DDC. I don't think you need a DDC to watch YouTube videos or for gaming and using the DDC with a streamer would maximize the benefit you got it for in the first place: sound quality.

Just to be clear, my XPDIF-2 is connected to the streamer, from there to my DAC via I2S. When I want to use PC sound, I simply change the input to USB on my DAC.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #267 of 306
I use a Matrix SPDIF 2 to provide a USB (from PC via Matrix Element H and 1.2m cable) interface to AES. The AES is then fed directly (with Mogami Gold AES cable) to Adam Audio monitors (S3Vs with built in DSP). The set up has been entirely problem free. The SPDIF 2 is currently powered using a LPSU set at 6v (I have used all permutations) but has always been recognised by the PC using both Windows 10 and 11 during boot up. Driver date is 2021-10-20 Driver Version 5.27.0.26406.

Sep 2, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #269 of 306
In a review I have read that Matrix X does not handle MQA?
MQA is decoded by the DAC. I don't believe a DDC like the Matrix (which I own) or any SPDIF converter (have one of those, too) has anything to do with decoding MQA.

If I'm wrong about that, someone please correct me.

Sep 25, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #270 of 306
This was taken from a discussion about this from PS Audio..."
Sent an email to the Mother Ship at Matrix and here’s the response they sent back.
Hello,
Thanks for your mail.
The recommended voltage of external power supply for X-SPDIF2 is 6V.
The required voltage input range is 6-9v, 6V can work stably, and the higher voltage will turn into heat. But if above 9V may damage the device.
External power going into X-SPDIF2 will pass low noise LDO to stepped down internally to 5V...
I followed up their response with a question of whether to use 5v or 7v on an LPS1.2 since there is no option to select 6V:
“If so, that we will recommended 7V, because 5v maybe not enough to drive the device.

Just three of over 5000 comments...
"The whole flurry of posts on voltage/placebo is interesting. I first tried the SBooster at 6V then at 6.5V. 6.5 monumentally changed both the soundstage and the impact of bass notes. NOT, just kidding, I could hear no difference at all. I sure learned a lot from 1276 posts and my system is much the better."

"I agree Farad3 is exceptional - i have tried Cheap chinese LPS, Uptone LPS1.2 and Sbooster. Farad is offering best SQ and also is least polluting surrounding components.

"I used 7.5 and 9 but it barely got warm at any voltage. I used 7.5 because I couldn’t hear any difference with 9V, 7.5V or 5V."

Personally I have found no discernible audible difference when dropping my LPSU unit from 9v to7v to 6v so have left it at 6v as recommended by Matrix Audio. The case is also cooler to the touch at 6v.
Are you using a Farad3 at 6v? Do you find any significant upgrade in the sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back