Matrix X-SPDIF 2 - a Singxer SU-1 killer?
Dec 1, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #301 of 306
Just took delivery of a Matrix x-spdif 3, curious if anyone has experienced any changes after burn-in on these units?
I agree with @LoveKnight below (re my Matrix X-SPDIF 2): a little brightness at first, quickly gone.

But also at first I heard some positive sonic changes compared to the SPDIF converter previously used w/the same high quality coax digital cable: a little more image specificity & clarity, overall, especially in the phantom/center channel; a bit wider soundstage (easier to hear on speakers than headphones); and a sense of greater nuance & accuracy.

(subtle but worthwhile changes)

Dec 14, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #302 of 306
5BB88F73-8F77-4161-8978-B683F88B1C02.jpeg

Bought used and break-in more hours than enough.

Initial impression more details and tiny bit more soundstage/wide. However it is more cold sounding than Pink Faun I2S which is a deal breaker if it does not get there till january.

It lacks the punch vs Pink Faub I2S.

Im giving it three months before my conclusion.

Dec 30, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #303 of 306
Update: R2R as DAC I2S input/output

The SPDIF3 is with out a doubt my most uncolored digital bridge. This DDC needs some recognition. It beats the SPDIF2 out of the water in every way. You will hear every cable you connect to this DDC. It is that good. Regarding cables I believe you can get away with decent cables and make it sound like you bought a much more expensive cable.

This DDC and a generic USB cable will sound better than an expensive USB cable imo.

Absolutely a recommendation for R2R DACs. If you have a very good expensive ESS/Deltasigma, you will probably not experience the improvement as much.

However R2R DAC owners. This is probably the best(most uncolored) DDC you will ever get for the money! Price vs Performance is very high

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #304 of 306
May I ask which dac supports IIS port that you use with Matrix X-spdif 3 with? I do not know why many of Western dacs still do not want to support IIS connection. Some high end Dacs support IIS but still a minor portion when compare to China Dacs. Thank you.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #305 of 306
May I ask which dac that support IIS port that you use with Matrix X-spdif 3 with? I do not know why many of Western dacs still do not want to support IIS connection. Some high end Dacs support IIS but still a minor portion when compare to China Dacs. Thank you.
Audio-gd R-1 NOS.

I2S HDMI is a really annoying connector and needs careful care, with time because cables can easily get destroyed. I would have hoped for the Ethernet standard to be used more. Locking mechanism is my preference the most.

Apr 2, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #306 of 306
I would be interested in how SPDIF3 compares to Denafrips Iris 12th. Planning to go for one of those to pair with Denafrips Pontus II. Iris shall be the default choice, but Matrix is a bit easier to hide away :). They are quite closely priced as well, but since SPDIF3 does not have built in power supply, it might be it is of higher quality compared to IRIS sans power supply?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back