Matrix X-SPDIF 2 - a Singxer SU-1 killer?
Jan 21, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #286 of 306
Any reviews for X-SPDIF 3 yet? I'm thinking to upgrade from the second version. Need a DDC to clean up my computer's USB output.
New X spidif 3 have i2s noise isolation so this version can actually kill usb noise unlike previous versions.
P.S Amir did review on 2nd version and external power supply added more noise while usb powered added no noise.

Jan 24, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #287 of 306
Are you using a Farad3 at 6v? Do you find any significant upgrade in the sound?
No I am using a Chinese made LPSU I bought through Ebay. I took it apart and checked the joints etc. It is well made with a 30W torroidal transformer and led volt readout. It can output 6-9v. I am still using 6v output fo the SPDIF 2. The "3" version released recently requires a 12v external input (for when using a weak output such as a mobile phone) but I do not think that I will benefit form the USB earthing improvements for the IIS LVDS port (I use the XLR AES) so will not be "upgrading".

Jan 24, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #288 of 306
Doing an A/B comparison between AES and I2S on my Denafrips Venus II from the new X-SPDIF 3 I notice clear differences in dynamics, transparency and detail. The differences were nowhere near as obvious with X-SPDIF 2 in the same test, so clearly there was an improvement there. Extremely difficult to do the same comparison between the two versions of the Matrix DDC on say AES, but I'd say there's not much point upgrading to the new version unless you are using I2S. I use a high quality dual power supply for the iFi Zen Stream and the Matrix X-SPDIF 3, both running at 12.0V.

Jan 24, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #289 of 306
Doing an A/B comparison between AES and I2S on my Denafrips Venus II from the new X-SPDIF 3 I notice clear differences in dynamics, transparency and detail. The differences were nowhere near as obvious with X-SPDIF 2 in the same test, so clearly there was an improvement there. Extremely difficult to do the same comparison between the two versions of the Matrix DDC on say AES, but I'd say there's not much point upgrading to the new version unless you are using I2S. I use a high quality dual power supply for the iFi Zen Stream and the Matrix X-SPDIF 3, both running at 12.0V.
You mean that the I2S sounds better right?

They did some improvements on the I2S port regarding power/noise

Jan 24, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #290 of 306
You mean that the I2S sounds better right?

They did some improvements on the I2S port regarding power/noise
Correct, there is clearly an improvement in the I2S on X-SPDIF 3 when compared to the previous version, that I still own. I came to that conclusion by comparing I2S to AES XLR on version 3, knowing that on version 2 there wasn't much difference between the two outputs. The new DDC I2S port seem definitely cleaner, with darker background and improved dynamics than XLR. Is AES better on the new version, too? Hard to say as I haven't done the comparison. That's why I said above that if you don't use I2S an upgrade might not worth it. Moreover, the quality of your DAC input has a major role to play. No point using I2S or upgrade to version 3 if you prefer the AES or coaxial inputs of your DAC. Denafrips seem to love I2S, hence I would benefit from any improvements in that area.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #291 of 306
Considering the SPDIF-3 vs. SU6 vs. SU2 KTE vs. Gustartd U18 ... I really can't find anyone who does a comparison or shootout of these units.

Has anyone compare multiple of these DDCs ?

I could also go to a higher end like Denafrips Gaia/Hermes or Mutec MC3 but think I will stick with the midfi options for now.

Apr 6, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #293 of 306
Hello All
I just purchased the X2 to use with my Denafrips Venus2 DAC. I have my Mac mini m1 running Roon to the X2 via usb and then out via i2s to the Venus. I am not able to receive the proper feed to the DAC? I do see the green light on the Matrix. I am only listening to PCM with Qobuz and Tidal. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Regards
Jeff

Apr 6, 2023 at 11:40 PM Post #294 of 306
I just had bought a Matrix x-pdif 3 yesterday and connected it to my system. Immediately I heard some improvements like soundstage, details, speed, dynamic, basses, clarity to sum up many positive things which I have not heard before. My next upgrade could be a Ferrum Hysos power supply to connect to my Melco N100 server and Matrix x-pdif 3. Still burn in this device hopefully still have room to improve more.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 2:14 AM Post #295 of 306
Today I switched output from an optical port to a Coaxial port with a rca Mogami Gold connect Schiit Gunnir Multibit coaxial port. I immediately feel the sound is more balanced and not fatiguing like using the optical port. The reason why I is I need the optical port to connect to my console Playstation 5 which is also connected to my Astro HDMI audio extract. Also does make the sound that is extracted from my console sounds better and less fatiguing. I will report sometime in the future when I have enough money to buy Ferrum Hysos. Bye guys.

Apr 29, 2023 at 7:07 PM Post #296 of 306
Today I switched output from an optical port to a Coaxial port with a rca Mogami Gold connect Schiit Gunnir Multibit coaxial port. I immediately feel the sound is more balanced and not fatiguing like using the optical port. The reason why I is I need the optical port to connect to my console Playstation 5 which is also connected to my Astro HDMI audio extract. Also does make the sound that is extracted from my console sounds better and less fatiguing. I will report sometime in the future when I have enough money to buy Ferrum Hysos. Bye guys.
Years ago with my first two SPDIF converters, I discovered that input to the DAC via coax cable simply sounded better. I had a quality optical cable that I used for a time, but when I switched to coax, I never went back. When I finally paid the $$ for the best coax cable I could find (Oyaide R-510 silver, strongly recommended at the time), the improvement in sound over my nice-sounding Billy Jeans coax was noticeable, so I stayed with the R-510 thereafter on my main system. When the Matrix DDC came in ago, it made a noticeable sonic improvement, too.

My old Billy Jeans coax cable + SPDIF converter are now installed in my side system (headphone only), where together they gave a nice sonic improvement over USB straight into the DAC.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #297 of 306
I believe many DACs with high quality USB ports but not the Schiit Gunnir multibit. The sound from Schitt DACs USBs are just fine not great still lack details, bright digital signal and sensitive to someone who does not like bright sound.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #298 of 306
Has anyone compared SPDIF3 + LPSU to Audio-gd DI20HE?

I know I will but will take some time.

Dec 1, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #299 of 306
Just took delivery of a Matrix x-spdif 3, curious if anyone has experienced any changes after burn-in on these units?

Dec 1, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #300 of 306
Yes, I did but not too much. A little bright at first but later fairly neutral. Improve the soundstage with the width but a little bit of depth, add a few details I think. I still can not hear the difference with or without a good LPS but the better gear from usb source the better sound quality from Matrix X-Spidf 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back