Matrix X-SPDIF 2 - a Singxer SU-1 killer?
Nov 14, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #226 of 306
I am running the X- SPDIF 2 from an IFi Stream without power and to my ears it does sound better. I had previously powered it with an IFi X-Power 9.0V that now powers the Stream. The little DDC doesn't need much power and it seems it gets enough from the Stream via a very short USB 3.0 cable. I remember reading on the audio science review forum that a power supply is introducing unwanted noise, so if you can run it without, why not at least try and let your ears be the judge?

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...of-matrix-audio-x-spdif-2-usb-converter.6597/

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #227 of 306
I am running the X- SPDIF 2 from an IFi Stream without power and to my ears it does sound better. I had previously powered it with an IFi X-Power 9.0V that now powers the Stream. The little DDC doesn't need much power and it seems it gets enough from the Stream via a very short USB 3.0 cable. I remember reading on the audio science review forum that a power supply is introducing unwanted noise, so if you can run it without, why not at least try and let your ears be the judge?

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...of-matrix-audio-x-spdif-2-usb-converter.6597/
people from ASR sometimes write funny things... the noise for sure depend on which PSU you are going to use, an external switching one, even a good IFi, can push in noises (low but...) because of the technology used and because of the cable, between PSU and X, that is not shielded (acting like an antenna capturing RF noises)

if you switch to good DIY stabilized psu, like the TeddyPardo or Salas TeddyReg (search the web for that), or some similar industrial product, you will gain very good and stable power without noise... then, obviously, don't use usb cable with +V conductor in it... insulate it or remove the pin in the connector (of the cable clearly)

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #228 of 306
Hello guys, I'm curious if anyone knows whether this configuration would work. If I connect the X-SPDIF2 to Innuos Zenith Mk2 and then use the X-SPDIF2 to my DAC, would that work and would it need external power? Just not sure if the XSPDIF2 requires a driver to be installed work.

Dec 15, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #229 of 306
I've used the X-SPDIF 2 with a few different Linux-based streamers and they all worked fine, no drivers needed. I believe Innuos is still using their custom Linux build so in theory it should be fine. But I'm just speculating here and have not tried it myself.

If it works, it would not require external power, though of course that may give some sonic benefits.

Dec 15, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #230 of 306
I've used the X-SPDIF 2 with a few different Linux-based streamers and they all worked fine, no drivers needed. I believe Innuos is still using their custom Linux build so in theory it should be fine. But I'm just speculating here and have not tried it myself.

If it works, it would not require external power, though of course that may give some sonic benefits.

I guess I'll try it out once I can and report back in. I'm sure external power might give better benefits but kind of a hard doubt for now, I've no reason to believe that the innuos' usb is bad by any means

Dec 15, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #231 of 306
External power is also a source of noise. I use my X-SPDIF 2 without one. To my ears, it sounds better than with the 9.0V iFi iPower X I purchased for it. Not going to waste as I use it to power the iFi Zen Stream with it since it is a bit cleaner than the one I got with the streamer.

Dec 16, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #232 of 306
power via usb cable can be even noisier. I replaced the +V from NUC via usb with iFi... and now I'm going to assemble a dedicated Sigma11 LPSU for X-SPIDIF 2 (and one for NUC). Do not forget the problems coming from electrical noise in the air, use shielded cable with shild connected to ground ... modify the cable froìm the iFi adding an external shield.. and remove the +V contact in the usb cable :wink:

Dec 16, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #233 of 306
Thanks for explanation. I didn't know your LPSU's output can vary between 7v to 12v. Which one did you get?

My H Element is benefiting greatly from LPSU so don't think I'd remove LPSU from the H. When I get XSPDIF2, I will get its own LPSU. Was going to get 9v. But, maybe 7v after your input. Considering HDPlex 300w and it has 7.5v output.
It is advertised as "Hifi 50W Ultra-low Noise Linear Power Supply" on EBay and branded as "SENGTERBELLE". There is an LED voltage readout with this model and if you take off the cover you can alter the output voltage using the voltage regulator screw. There are many similar units with little changes to the internals. A later version has a better fixing for the main plug (bolted into the case as opposed to just being soldered to the PCB which is not held in place by any dedicated bolts). I may get a better quality unit at some time because I only bought this to find out if a LVPS would make any difference. If you get an LPSU for the XSPDIF2 you will not need an additional unit for the Element H because it will utilise the PCIE bus for the signal which is all that you require. An external or internal power supply to the Element H is for supplying a 5v feed through the USB cable which you will not require and it has been suggested that you can just utilise a cable that omits the 5v wires altogether. I use Matrix's own USB cable (1.2m) and that is excellent I have found.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2021 at 2:11 AM Post #234 of 306
I have decided to get serious about improving my streaming. First step was to get a proper USB cable so I got a Curious Evolve Regen Link to connect my iFi Zen Stream to the X-SPDIF 2. Sounds great but unfortunately only if the DDC is also powered, otherwise the sound loses cohesion and life.
https://curiouscables.com/usb-cables
Not happy with my power at the moment since the streamer is powered by the OEM switched power supply, a first gen iFi iPower unit. The DDC is juiced by a 9.0V iFi iPower X unit but that doesn't see to help the streamer much. Anyway, long story short, a proper dual linear power supply is on its way that will allow me to get clean 9.0V into the DDC and at the same time 12.0V into the streamer. Should be here within days. I'll get back with some thoughts soon after it arrived.
https://www.gieseler.com.au/product-page/kraftwerk-ii-dual

May 6, 2022 at 12:00 AM Post #235 of 306
Hey guys, got a quick question. I've got an XSPDIF-2 and I seem to not be getting any connection for it. I've tried powering it both through USB as well as the powered port but it seems like when I try to connect it to my XSP, I can't connect via I2S, coax, or AES. It just buffers forever. But on my Pc, I have the drivers and it recognizes the device. Anyone have any clue what's up here?

May 6, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #236 of 306
Hey guys, got a quick question. I've got an XSPDIF-2 and I seem to not be getting any connection for it. I've tried powering it both through USB as well as the powered port but it seems like when I try to connect it to my XSP, I can't connect via I2S, coax, or AES. It just buffers forever. But on my Pc, I have the drivers and it recognizes the device. Anyone have any clue what's up here?
No idea. This never happened w/mine.

The classic troubleshooting tactics are:
  • Turn it off & leave it off for several hours, long enough to lose any residual heat, then retry
  • Or on PC, deinstall & reinstall the drivers
  • And if you happen to have another amp besides the Matrix, try it w/the other amp (why not?)
Something some people do w/DDCs is purchase a bigger/better linear power supply. I can't advise you there, but that's another option. However, since this seems to be happening w/ and w/o the PS, I'm not sure that would make a difference.

May 8, 2022 at 2:04 AM Post #237 of 306
No idea. This never happened w/mine.

The classic troubleshooting tactics are:
  • Turn it off & leave it off for several hours, long enough to lose any residual heat, then retry
  • Or on PC, deinstall & reinstall the drivers
  • And if you happen to have another amp besides the Matrix, try it w/the other amp (why not?)
Something some people do w/DDCs is purchase a bigger/better linear power supply. I can't advise you there, but that's another option. However, since this seems to be happening w/ and w/o the PS, I'm not sure that would make a difference.

I've tried all the above and then some. I've posted in Matrix's forums and messaged some admin there as well, radio silence. Pretty frustrating how there seems to be zero support on this. Makes me pretty hesitant to ever buy anything from them ever again.

May 8, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #238 of 306
I've tried all the above and then some. I've posted in Matrix's forums and messaged some admin there as well, radio silence. Pretty frustrating how there seems to be zero support on this. Makes me pretty hesitant to ever buy anything from them ever again.
I can't tell from your profile where you live or where you bought this device.

I bought mine from Arthur @power Holdings, the longtime U.S. agent for Lake People & Violectric. That's very reassuring because I know from experience how proactive & helpful he can be when gear has issues.

Where did you buy this? And how long have you had it? It sounds like it either needs warranty repair or outright replacement.

May 8, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #239 of 306
I've had it for two years. It's been put away in storage in it's original box and super thick foam protection in a dry cool closet for the past year since I wasn't using it actively. I recently brought it out again, it worked at first and then this started happening.

May 19, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #240 of 306
So an update to my situation. I got my unit from Apos Audio. When reaching out to them, they referred me to the Matrix forums for further technical support to get a diagnosis. By the time it got diagnosed as defective by Matrix, I guess my warranty had run out by a little over two weeks and so they aren't offering any replacement. They haven't really replied to me about the possibility of even sending it in for repair yet but I guess we'll see what will happen...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back