Matrix X-SPDIF 2 - a Singxer SU-1 killer?
Jun 1, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #211 of 306
Maybe, but then how do devices that are connected with unpowered usb cables perform usb handshakes ?
I presume the device is active and will only handshake when it’s receiving external power.
Not sure. I know some of my DACs need the vBus from the USB to handshake but others not. Maybe only those with separate power to USB input in the DAC can do the handshake;

Jun 1, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #212 of 306
Since using the X-SPDIF 2 my PC gets a BSOD when restarting. I have deleted and reinstalled the driver but didn't help. Is there a trick to fix this? Otherwise the unit works perfectly, feeding my Denafrips Venus II over HDMI I²S, no dramas.

Sep 2, 2021 at 12:06 AM Post #216 of 306
Since using the X-SPDIF 2 my PC gets a BSOD when restarting. I have deleted and reinstalled the driver but didn't help. Is there a trick to fix this? Otherwise the unit works perfectly, feeding my Denafrips Venus II over HDMI I²S, no dramas.
Hi sabloke. Have you had the chance to compare direct USB connection to your Venus II against the I2S via X-SPDIF 2? I have a Pontus and am keen to try out I2S connection, but would like to get a handle on what changes to expect before buying a convertor.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 5:03 AM Post #217 of 306
I would say there is some sound quality improvement to be made by using the Matrix X-SPDIF 2, for sure. Don't expect night and day gains though. Subtle things, like better instrument definition and a bit clearer sound stage, for instance. If I was in your shoes, before considering investing in a DDC, I would rather purchase a streamer like the iFi Zen Stream. That indeed totally cuts the ties between your PC and the audio system. The sound quality into the Venus II USB is simply amazing for the price and it simply smashes any PC USB output. And since I already had the X-SPDIF 2, I inserted it between the DAC and the streamer because, why not? The best bang for your buck is the streamer, no doubt. It did cost me A$600 while the DDC was A$650 plus another A$159 for a 9.0V iFi X Power supply as the X-SPDIF 2 comes without one. My advice, get the streamer and then if you really want that extra 2%, get a DDC as well to be able to use your Pontus' I2S input. Or bypass the DAC USB input by using Stream's coax output that is also brilliant.

Oct 21, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #218 of 306
I would think that answer would differ from one DAC to the next. I generally find coax superior to optical but that's not true with all DACs, so it really comes down to trial and error.
I agree that coax is superior to optical, at least with the DAC I first tried both on.

I began using optical 4-5 yrs ago (expensive cable, not junk) from an old Musical Fidelity 24/96 SPDIF converter to the DAC and preferred optical to USB straight in. Later I experimented with coax cables out of the SPDIF and immediately preferred coax...optical sounded slightly brighter/edgier than coax.

3-4 years ago I got a silver coax cable that blew everything else out of the water (Oyaide DR-510) and stayed with that ever since as SPDIF converters and DACs came & went....

Just installed a new Matrix X-SPDIF_2 I bought months ago (thanks, Arthur!) and have it outputting signal via the DR-510 coax to the MHDT Labs Orchid. Will let it burn in before drawing any conclusions.

PS: I set the MCLK dipswitch to "On" (out of sheer ignorance) and it's working. Sometimes the audio gods take pity on a fool...

Oct 23, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #219 of 306
Initial observations after installing the Matrix 2 days ago: I was surprised to immediately hear a difference between the system w/Musical Fidelity VLink 192/24 as SPDIF converter vs with the Matrix X-SPDIF 2 as DDC/SPDIF converter (this was the only hardware change). All of a sudden I have a more distinct, noticeable center image between the KEF 103.2 passive monitors. Easy to hear this. Considering that lack of trad imaging & soundstaging is something I associate in general with nearfield desktop speakers, this was unexpected.

The other immediate change was an increase in clarity & space around notes, audible even at the low volumes I used for day-to-day listening.

I'll burn-in the Matrix another 4-5 days (or more) before doing any real listening.

Oct 24, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #220 of 306
I would say there is some sound quality improvement to be made by using the Matrix X-SPDIF 2, for sure. Don't expect night and day gains though. Subtle things, like better instrument definition and a bit clearer sound stage, for instance. If I was in your shoes, before considering investing in a DDC, I would rather purchase a streamer like the iFi Zen Stream. That indeed totally cuts the ties between your PC and the audio system. The sound quality into the Venus II USB is simply amazing for the price and it simply smashes any PC USB output. And since I already had the X-SPDIF 2, I inserted it between the DAC and the streamer because, why not? The best bang for your buck is the streamer, no doubt. It did cost me A$600 while the DDC was A$650 plus another A$159 for a 9.0V iFi X Power supply as the X-SPDIF 2 comes without one. My advice, get the streamer and then if you really want that extra 2%, get a DDC as well to be able to use your Pontus' I2S input. Or bypass the DAC USB input by using Stream's coax output that is also brilliant.

I was using iFi iPower 12v into Matrix H Element card and heard a definite improvement over internal power. However, when I powered the H with a Chi Fi 65va 12v LPSU, my DAC's sound improved a few more folds. So, if you have a LPSU to plug into the X-SPDIF 2, I'd like to hear your results.

Nov 12, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #221 of 306
I was using iFi iPower 12v into Matrix H Element card and heard a definite improvement over internal power. However, when I powered the H with a Chi Fi 65va 12v LPSU, my DAC's sound improved a few more folds. So, if you have a LPSU to plug into the X-SPDIF 2, I'd like to hear your results.
I recently transferred the LPSU (Chi Fi 50W) power supply to the Element H directly to the Matrix X-SPDIF 2 (dropping the voltage down from 12v to 7V) and there was an improvement in SQ that I was not expecting. The H Element USB power supply setting was changed from external to off (off because the power for the SPDIF 2 is now direct from the LPSU). As an aside I now use the X-SPDIF's AES connection to active monitors (Adam Audio SV3s also have built-in DSP) set as digital thus bypassing the need for an external DAC (was using the Matrix X-Sabre Pro MQA connected direct to the Element H which overall I found exceptional for analogue mode). USB cable used in both scenarios is Matrix Audio's own at 1.2m. However, the direct digital route using the X-SPDIF 2 is giving the best SQ results for me. Maybe the case that less is more. One thing that I have not done yet is changed the SPDIF 2 to monitor (and then to the other monitor) cables from analogue to digital (110Ω). Some people have said that it makes little if any difference but I would appreciate someone giving me their own experience if possible. Update: I have since changed the interconnects to specific digital (AES/EBU) Mogami Gold AES XLR. These use the Mogami 3173 (110Ω) cable (which is their best digital cable). Very audible improvements all round (especially in giving more detail) which again I was not expecting because the "analogue" ones were already of a high quality.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #223 of 306
I recently transferred the LPSU (Chi Fi 50W) power supply to the Element H directly to the Matrix X-SPDIF 2 (dropping the voltage down from 12v to 7V) and there was an improvement in SQ that I was not expecting. The H Element USB power supply setting was changed from external to off (off because the power for the SPDIF 2 is now direct from the LPSU). As an aside I now use the X-SPDIF's AES connection to active monitors (Adam Audio SV3s also have built-in DSP) set as digital thus bypassing the need for an external DAC (was using the Matrix X-Sabre Pro MQA connected direct to the Element H which overall I found exceptional for analogue mode). USB cable used in both scenarios is Matrix Audio's own at 1.2m. However, the direct digital route using the X-SPDIF 2 is giving the best SQ results for me. Maybe the case that less is more. One thing that I have not done yet is changed the SPDIF 2 to monitor (and then to the other monitor) cables from analogue (75ohm) to digital (110ohm). Some people have said that it makes little if any difference but I would appreciate someone giving me their own experience if possible.
But, now the H is powered by your PC and not by external power... this should be a degradation... but having LPSU on the X is probably more important since it's closer to your source. the X can be powered by a 12v? I recall reading about this on PS Audio's forum. But, I think it's product description states it can only accept 6-9v. What sound difference did you experience with different voltages into the X?

Nov 13, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #224 of 306
But, now the H is powered by your PC and not by external power... this should be a degradation... but having LPSU on the X is probably more important since it's closer to your source. the X can be powered by a 12v? I recall reading about this on PS Audio's forum. But, I think it's product description states it can only accept 6-9v. What sound difference did you experience with different voltages into the X?
Hi, apologies if it was not clear, the H Element was initially powered at 12v by the LPSU (Matrix states 9-12v). The SPDIF 2 would then be fed 5v via the USB cable. The SPDIF 2 is now powered directly by the same LPSU but I dropped the voltage to 7v (PS Audio Forum..."Yang, from Matrix, is on record as saying using less voltage is better. He recommended 6v but said 7v is better than 9v. Anything above 9v might damage the device"). There is a lively discussion on voltage in that forum. The H Element USB power bus is either fed internally from a sata connection directly from the PC's PSU or externally to give the 5v USB feeds for devices requiring a 5v supply. Because I am powering the SPDIF 2 directly now I can turn off the H Element 5v USB supply feed (off position). H Element Manual..."Turn off the USB port output power, when the external DAC and other products do not need USB bus power supply" (USB is now only supplying data signals) I have not had time to listen to any different voltage other than 7v but may try 6v at some point.

Nov 14, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #225 of 306
Hi, apologies if it was not clear, the H Element was initially powered at 12v by the LPSU (Matrix states 9-12v). The SPDIF 2 would then be fed 5v via the USB cable. The SPDIF 2 is now powered directly by the same LPSU but I dropped the voltage to 7v (PS Audio Forum..."Yang, from Matrix, is on record as saying using less voltage is better. He recommended 6v but said 7v is better than 9v. Anything above 9v might damage the device"). There is a lively discussion on voltage in that forum. The H Element USB power bus is either fed internally from a sata connection directly from the PC's PSU or externally to give the 5v USB feeds for devices requiring a 5v supply. Because I am powering the SPDIF 2 directly now I can turn off the H Element 5v USB supply feed (off position). H Element Manual..."Turn off the USB port output power, when the external DAC and other products do not need USB bus power supply" (USB is now only supplying data signals) I have not had time to listen to any different voltage other than 7v but may try 6v at some point.

Thanks for explanation. I didn't know your LPSU's output can vary between 7v to 12v. Which one did you get?

My H Element is benefiting greatly from LPSU so don't think I'd remove LPSU from the H. When I get XSPDIF2, I will get its own LPSU. Was going to get 9v. But, maybe 7v after your input. Considering HDPlex 300w and it has 7.5v output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back