Matrix Mini-i Balanced DAC+HP amp
Sep 13, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #828 of 1,055

Quote:
Hello ,
i` d like to ask if when using the hp amp of the mini i the dac works too or it s just the amp .
I did a search and i didnt get an answer .

Thanks in advance ,

Panos .

Yes, like Ph1lerAudi0  stated.  If you would like to use the amp only (bypassing dac), it would need to have a "line-in". 

Example- The A-GD FUN is an all-in-one (headamp, dac, pre...) which has a "line-in" as well...

Cheers

Sep 13, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #829 of 1,055

Quote:
Yes, like Ph1lerAudi0  stated.  If you would like to use the amp only (bypassing dac), it would need to have a "line-in". 

Example- The A-GD FUN is an all-in-one (headamp, dac, pre...) which has a "line-in" as well...

Cheers

Goodmorning HeatFan12 ,
Actually i m interested in using dac with the amp .
I`m planing my headphone system , and mini i is a great dac with a good amp as other ppl stated in this thread and i think it will serve me well until i have the budget to get an amp .

Have a nice day ,

Panos .

Sep 13, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #830 of 1,055
Hello Panos and thanks...Welcome...
beerchug.gif

I thought you wanted to bypass the dac of the Mini-i...

The headphone out is quite good indeed.  I have tried with many headphones...

Cheers

Sep 16, 2011 at 4:14 AM Post #831 of 1,055
Just to chime in, I really like the sound of the mini-i. But the built-in amp is not quite for me. Wide, spacious but the sound lacks body. Bass eqing does not change that.

Still is my home DAC feeding my setup, no problems otherwise :)

Sep 16, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #832 of 1,055

Quote:
Just to chime in, I really like the sound of the mini-i. But the built-in amp is not quite for me. Wide, spacious but the sound lacks body. Bass eqing does not change that.

It works better with some headphones than others, I have had the best results with my HD600.

Sep 19, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #833 of 1,055

Quote:
THe 48k part is not the problem, there are some really kick@ss 44.1k DACs out there that are outstanding. The problem is that USB is the area that they chose to save $ on and it's cheap and dated, really just there for convenience more than anything. The thing I don't like about the USB receiver on the Mini-i is that it seems stuck on 48k, when I would prefer to have the choice of 44.1k as well.

But it's not really much of a problem because you can always get a USB to spdif converter, and the rest of the Mini-i's inputs will handle up to 24/192k.

After reading your post I double checked my Mini-i's redbook output over USB and it says... 4-USB = 44.1kHz so it does put out redbook natively. I'm using Foobar-> ASIO4all -> MINI-I USB (USB sound device) so perhaps it's your settings.

Sep 19, 2011 at 6:56 AM Post #834 of 1,055
I don't use the USB input any more, I upsample to 96k in Pure Music and go in through the coax now. When I did use the USB input I couldn't get it to change from 48k but it's been quite a while. If you go way back in this thread there were a few other people with this issue. I always thought that there should be a way to do it though and am glad that you found it. I will have to try your method next time I boot into Windows, but with iTunes out of a Mac I couldn't get it to change with the Audio MIDI Setup program.

Sep 20, 2011 at 6:19 AM Post #835 of 1,055
i had the emu0404 pci and i replaced it with matrix mini. aftes one month i return to EMU.

The sound comparing to the matrix is night and day. i am very dissapointed.It sounds like my x-fi 30$ card comparing to EMU with or witout amp section.

Sep 20, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #836 of 1,055
If you really like your Mini I and would just like to make it better, get the newclassD regulators. I put a set in mine and it is as if every component within has been ordered to stand up and pay attention. I did a somewhat detailed review of them several pages back in this thread. It's a $100 upgrade to a $300 DAC, and well worth it IMO.

Of course I must add the disclaimer that this modification does void your warranty:)

PA

Quote:

Still is my home DAC feeding my setup, no problems otherwise :)

Sep 20, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #837 of 1,055

Quote:
i had the emu0404 pci and i replaced it with matrix mini. aftes one month i return to EMU.

The sound comparing to the matrix is night and day. i am very dissapointed.It sounds like my x-fi 30$ card comparing to EMU with or witout amp section.

Funny, I used to have the EMU-0404 USB and consider my Mini I an upgrade. Which inputs were you using on your Mini I? I use the BNC 90% of the time and sometimes optical. BNC is the best. I have never actually used the USB input on mine.

PA

Sep 20, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #838 of 1,055
Just thought I would ask this, does anyone else get strange hiss when idling in 192kHz or 176.4kHz with the headphone out? It is certainly noticeable on mine when no music is playing. Mine is a v1. Through the RCA out it is dead silent however. It is a minor annoyance but an annoyance nonetheless since I am not using a dedicated amp at the moment.

I also can't seem to get the BNC input to work correctly, but it could be either my Musiland Monitor 01USD OR the Matrix mini-i as I have no other BNC devices to test it with. I'm quite content with  the optical connection however, I just don't understand why it just has a pulsing sound when I try to use it. My Matrix is about 6 months old. I might just crack the case open again and see if it has a cold solder joint or something...

Sep 20, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #839 of 1,055
Took it apart, resoldered the internal BNC input to the board and still the same results. Tested with an RCA out to RCA>BNC adapter into the BNC input and still the same issue, so it IS the Matrix with the problem. I wonder what component on the board would cause the issue? The screen displays going from "NO SAMPLE" to whatever current resolution is going through the Musiland at a very high frequency and the sound is just constant blips that are unaffected by the volume control. Kind of sucks, but I honestly have no real reason to use the BNC input. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back