Matrix Mini-i Balanced DAC+HP amp
May 11, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #737 of 1,055
There has been an old model, which the new remote control cannot be paired with. Most sellers are only selling the new model now (with or without the remote). If you buy one second hand, you should check whether it's the new or old model. The old model has a blue power LED near the headphone jack. It was replaced by the remote control receiver on the new model.

Quote:
is there really a version 2 model?
I emailed an ebay seller and they said there is only one model, but one includes a remote and one does not. ebay seller is [size=10pt]wsz0304 [/size]

May 13, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #740 of 1,055
Just got my Matrix Mini-i today.. after setting it up, I was a little surprised that it did not put out as much volume as my FiiO E9. After listening for about 1/2 an hour, I took my HD600's off an noticed that my ears were ringing a bit.. I left the rig running and gave my ears a little time to recover.  After a second listen, well, it does push the HD600's quite nicely and the reason the volume was so high is that the Mini-i is smooooooooth!  Even without break-in, I'm liking it much more than the FiiO E7/E9 combo.
Going to let it run a few days straight to give it the initial break-in.. looking forward to hearing how it changes.

May 18, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #742 of 1,055
Im from Maaseik Belgium

orderd it from hlly audio ebay store. They declare it as 30 $ cable tester or somthing in the bill. Ididnt pay any duane or tax. Was somthing like 230 euro incl shipping with free tripath amp

May 19, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #743 of 1,055
1. How is the volume control on the Matrix Mini-i. It's digital I presume, does this audibly degrade the resolution on lowest volumes?
2. Can you control the volume through Windows normally? Atleast TOSLINK let's me control it through the sound card's controls and windows quick keys normally, this would be highly desired for when the volume has to be quick muted (For instance FiiO E7 doesn't allow this and it's a big con in functionality).

I really love the look of this DAC, so dying to hear it too!

May 19, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #744 of 1,055

Quote:
Im from Maaseik Belgium

orderd it from hlly audio ebay store. They declare it as 30 $ cable tester or somthing in the bill. Ididnt pay any duane or tax. Was somthing like 230 euro incl shipping with free tripath amp

Wow! That's awesome! Thanks for the advice!
It only seems they're out of Matrix Mini-i's atm
frown.gif

May 20, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #745 of 1,055
Just pulled the trigger on one :)  I'm going to be using it almost exclusively as a DAC

Hopefully it pairs well with a Decware CSP2+

Headfi is the little ultra-persuasive devil that sits on my shoulder

May 22, 2011 at 6:31 AM Post #746 of 1,055
Got into more problems, connected the matrix through spdif out to Marantz coax in. What do I set the matrix in for a source?

There are only four alternatives and none of the are the coax/spdif.

1. BNC
2. Toslink
3. AES/EBU
4. USB

Another question, do I need to change anything on my Pre-Amp to get it to know that I want to use the matrix instead of the built-in headphoneconnector on the marantz?

May 22, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #747 of 1,055
BNC (because of the locking connector) is your coax-spdif in, toslink for optical-spdif. If you want to listen directly out of the Mini-i, take it out of DAC mode by switching it to "VOL&HP ON" when powering the unit on with the volume knob pushed in.

May 25, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #749 of 1,055
If you're DVD player does not have an AES out you'll need a coax to XLR plug. But otherwise it'll work fine. I connected my pc (SPDIF) to the AES port and it works without any issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back