Matrix Mini-i Balanced DAC+HP amp
Oct 30, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #481 of 1,055
Quote:
No, I mean bi-amp.
Using a software like Audiolense or a Motu for DRC and electronic XO, then feed a DAC stage, then 4-channel power amp, then speakers.

You are going to crossover the frequencies digitally before the DAC stage?

Oct 31, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #483 of 1,055
My Matrix's Matrix. mod.2010.10.31

<Input>
COAX - Onkyo ND-S1 (iPod Transport) <--- iPod
TOSLINK - JAVS nano/S <--- iMac(2007)
AES/EBU - CEC CD3300R (CD Player)
USB <--- PC (Windows XP Pro. + ASIO4ALL)

<Output>
COAX - Audio-Technica AT-HDSL1 (COAX to TOSLINK) ---> Kenwood KAF-A55 ---> Fostex FE103E (Speaker)
Analog RCA - STAX SR-313 - Tokyo-Sound Valve-X
Analog XLR - CEC HD53

MATRIX mini-i is a convenient tool ! 
dt880smile.png

Oct 31, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #485 of 1,055
I've been following this thread with interest but can't help wondering if all the mods done to the original Matrix (whether DIY or the Matrix V2) will give you as good or better sounding music than pairing the DAC of the Matrix with a Little Dot MKVII+ amp. It is the same price as the $400 mods and you're getting a balanced configuration (at least for headphone listening).

I use the MKVII+ paired with the Matrix Mini-i (un-modded) and have no real desire for an upgrade. The music is truly wonderful, especially good hi-res material played through Mediamonkey with a USB -> SP/DIF converter.
L3000.gif

Oct 31, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #486 of 1,055

Quote:
I've been following this thread with interest but can't help wondering if all the mods done to the original Matrix (whether DIY or the Matrix V2) will give you as good or better sounding music than pairing the DAC of the Matrix with a Little Dot MKVII+ amp. It is the same price as the $400 mods and you're getting a balanced configuration (at least for headphone listening).

I use the MKVII+ paired with the Matrix Mini-i (un-modded) and have no real desire for an upgrade. The music is truly wonderful, especially good hi-res material played through Mediamonkey with a USB -> SP/DIF converter.
L3000.gif

I know this is a headphone community and I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority because I'm using my  matrix as a pre-amp connected to a Behringer EP 2000 power amplifier. So I need the headphone amp.

Nov 2, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #491 of 1,055

Quote:

Inside View.

Make inferences.

PCB is 4-layer multilayer. (It is like PC's Mather Board ! )

Nichicon HD 25V2700uF x2 = Smooth Capacitor
Nichicon FW 35V220uF x2 x2ch = Coupling Capacitor for TPA6120 (Headphone amplifier)

OPA2134UA = I/V Conversion  (AD1955 to OPA2124)
Nichicon Muse 10V100uF x2 x2ch = Coupling Capacitor for OPA2134UA

OP275 (OP3) = Buffer for Analog Out
OP275 (OP4 & 5) = Buffer for Balance Out

This is reasoning of the amateur. :)

Add, CHIP ALUMINUM ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS.

Nichicon UD 16V100uF x6/ch = x12
Rubycon TZV 16V470uF x2

Nov 17, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #493 of 1,055
For those of you mating your Matrix to an Apple Airport Express, get a jitter eliminator. I recently added a used Theta TLC (~$100.00) to my setup and the difference was significant.

The Theta's standard wall wart power supply is very picky about where its plugged in. I had it plugged into a shared power strip which gave me unpleasant sound. Once I switched the wall wart to a wall socket, sharing only with the power amplifier, the sound improved a great deal.

Listening to my music library again has revealed detail unnoticed from before, and more smoothness. That part tickles me. Especially changed, though, was the BASS! Solid. Strong. Coherent. I cant believe that jitter was hurting the bass that much.

That Theta has become a nice and very much prized addition to my stereo family:)

PA

Nov 17, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #494 of 1,055

Quote:
For those of you mating your Matrix to an Apple Airport Express, get a jitter eliminator. I recently added a used Theta TLC (~$100.00) to my setup and the difference was significant.

The Theta's standard wall wart power supply is very picky about where its plugged in. I had it plugged into a shared power strip which gave me unpleasant sound. Once I switched the wall wart to a wall socket, sharing only with the power amplifier, the sound improved a great deal.

Listening to my music library again has revealed detail unnoticed from before, and more smoothness. That part tickles me. Especially changed, though, was the BASS! Solid. Strong. Coherent. I cant believe that jitter was hurting the bass that much.

That Theta has become a nice and very much prized addition to my stereo family:)

PA

There seems to be some very mixed reviews about this device. Although I've not heard it myself I have read some people like it, some claim it adds jitter in some applications....others call it snake oil. I guess it's something you have to hear and decide for yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back