Matrix Mini-i Balanced DAC+HP amp
Oct 26, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #452 of 1,055

Quote:
They are 100uF 10V 

My matrix has been in my system unmodified. Also in pure DAC mode.

So when it is in DAC mode does the signal still pass through the headphone amp? It doesn't seem logical.....but
confused_face_2.gif

Oct 27, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #456 of 1,055
Japan's auction site has also remodeled out.

Yahoo! Auction (Japan)
http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n86961317

Modified

Option Price JPY32,000 (about $400!)

- 1ppm TCXO (temperature-compensated crystal) is installed.
- OFC Toroidal custom replacement.
- Generic capacitors Nichicon HD, Rubycon MBZ, Rubycon ZLG upgrade to high-quality capacitors and for sound.
- Upgrade to a general resistance to high-quality resistance.
- Two sets of Rectify-IC (8pcs) to upgrade.
- OP275 x 3  to AD8599 × 3.

Oct 27, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #459 of 1,055

Quote:
Yes, sexy is.
Option price is higher than normal.

JPY29,800 + Option JPY32,000 = Total JPY61,800 (about $760)

It is a price that belongs to different classes. 
biggrin.gif

Again.....are these improvements to the DAC section or primarily the HO? I realize the new power supply would likely help the DAC as well but where are the most significant changes made? Thanks

Oct 27, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #461 of 1,055

Quote:
What is HO ?

Hello again,
I`ll start from top to botton:

- 1ppm TCXO (temperature-compensated crystal) is installed. <-DAC
- OFC Toroidal custom replacement. <-DAC
- Generic capacitors Nichicon HD, Rubycon MBZ, Rubycon ZLG upgrade to high-quality capacitors and for sound. <-Mostly if not only Headphone Out (HO).
- Upgrade to a general resistance to high-quality resistance. <-DAC
- Two sets of Rectify-IC (8pcs) to upgrade. <-DAC
- OP275 x 3  to AD8599 × 3. <-DAC

The only thing I would like to see is a socket for the OP-amps so that it is possible to change them according to preference. I wont pay that much money for these mods though, since I have my own "improvements" in mind. Most are tje same, but not enough to be willing to pay twice the amount the unit costs for a modded product when the major cost seems to be the "manhours".

Oct 27, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #463 of 1,055
I don't use the headphone amp section for anything critical, but would like to know if these mods represent worthwhile upgrades to the DAC section as well.

Oct 27, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #464 of 1,055

Quote:
What is HO ?

Headphone Out = HO 

I'm basically asking the same question as grokit....does the V2 mod affect primarily the headphone amp or the DAC as well? As mentioned, I assume the better power supply will help the DAC but is the primary purpose of the V2 to provide a better headphone amp?

Oct 27, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #465 of 1,055
Here's a Google translation of part of the above-referenced page; it seems to say the amplifier has more power and the DAC has a better clock as far as I can tell:

""Mini-i VA2 Edition" (+32,000 yen)

- Key configuration;

● 1ppm TCXO (temperature-compensated crystal oscillator accuracy) with 

● OFC Toroidarutotoransu custom built. Will increase power output, stable current is supplied to clean

Generic Capacitor ⇒ ● Nichicon HD, Bubycon MBZ, Rubycon ZLG Kondensaguredoappu for audio and high-quality 

Upgrade resistance ● High quality universal resistance ⇒ 

● IC set Ryuu Hitoshi 2 ⇒ (8pcs) Upgrade

● OP725 ⇒ ANALOG DEVICES operational amplifier manufactured by ultra-low noise, ultralow distortionAD8599 × 3installed.

■ 1ppm TCXO (temperature-compensated crystal oscillator accuracy) by the onboard high resolution and sensitivity completely overwhelming sense of color tones, from low to high frequency harmonics, to be compared.1ppm clock has put the reputation of the net Yamagami Sawa. Please confirm.

"Mini-i VA2 Edition" version and a normal part of the Mini-i can see the difference from the picture above."

I already have an upgraded (external) clock so I don't think I'm interested even though the better capacitors may also improve the DAC section. My Bravo only works on the coaxial input however, I switch between that and a toslink source as well so an internal upgrade would have the advantage of working with multiple inputs.

It would be nice though if Cool Fun Gadget or someone had an upgrade program for original Mini-i owners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back