Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro
Jul 14, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #436 of 520
Using X-Sabre Pro in DAC mode for a long time, but with my current OTL and certain low gain power tubes, wondering if there would be any sonic merit to using pre-amp. mode so I can add gain through the Sabre which is only possible in pre-amp. mode. My chain is per signature below. I'm not knowledgeable about the pro's / con's / differences between DAC and pre-amp. mode in sound quality or functionality beyond the ability to adjust output gain in latter. Hoping someone can educate me further!
Thanks!

Jul 16, 2020 at 1:00 AM Post #437 of 520
Useless post whitout mentioning of your headphones or speakers youre listening.

Thanks for the comment!

Well, i focus on Matrix X-Sabre Pro as no one will have the exact items that I have. I am using on my hifi system: Musical Fidelity M5SI amplifier and Elac Bs244.3 speaker. Even if you have the same audio equipments as mine, the room will also be different. The placement of the speakers also have effects on the sound too. Many factors can affect the sound. Even footers on the equipments can have effects which I have experience it. So hoping to share my experience base on Matrix X-Sabre Pro since this thread is on this item. Thank you!

Aug 4, 2020 at 3:14 AM Post #439 of 520
does anyone have the latest firmware update folder for the mqa xsabre pro? i tried to download it from the matrix website but it says the archive is incomplete or corrupt.

Aug 29, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #440 of 520
I checked our download and it seems fine. This is a RAR file. You need an upzipping app that supports RAR files. Windows does not included RAR support.

does anyone have the latest firmware update folder for the mqa xsabre pro? i tried to download it from the matrix website but it says the archive is incomplete or corrupt.

Aug 29, 2020 at 12:16 AM Post #441 of 520
I checked our download and it seems fine. This is a RAR file. You need an upzipping app that supports RAR files. Windows does not included RAR support.

I use WINRAR for RAR files and it works fine with others but not with the one I got from your site.

Oct 26, 2020 at 1:00 AM Post #447 of 520
Looking at the Matrix Sabre Pro MQA and probably top of my list but wondering other peoples thoughts and how people think it compares to a few other DAC.

Matrix X
Hear as a DAC the Sabre is better but not by much and the amp in the X is average.

Mytek Boston DAC+
Heard it and it is a good all rounder but it has a older chipset but a bit more expensive. Sounded like a good package but seems to have some average internals including a average internal power source.

Denafrips Ares 2
It is meant to be warmer, does not have MQA, no remote but is almost half the price.

Oct 26, 2020 at 1:15 AM Post #448 of 520
Looking at the Matrix Sabre Pro MQA and probably top of my list but wondering other peoples thoughts and how people think it compares to a few other DAC.

Matrix X
Hear as a DAC the Sabre is better but not by much and the amp in the X is average.

Mytek Boston DAC+
Heard it and it is a good all rounder but it has a older chipset but a bit more expensive. Sounded like a good package but seems to have some average internals including a average internal power source.

Denafrips Ares 2
It is meant to be warmer, does not have MQA, no remote but is almost half the price.

For this type of modern, clean sound (i.e. the kind of people who like gin neat) I don't think that there's much better than the X-Sabre Pro. I don't own mine anymore but I still recommend it.

As far as Sabre-based DACs, it's the best I've heard period. And I prefer it to all AKM-based DACs I've heard, even CS Solaris.

Fwiw, I dislike all Mytek DACs I've heard including Brooklyn.

Hard to compare with R2R DACs because again, the presentation is completely different.

Oct 26, 2020 at 4:03 AM Post #449 of 520
For R2R sound, I wouldn't recommend Denafrips. Might as well go for Bifrost 2.

The X-Sabre Pro is the best Sabre DAC I've ever heard. Very clean and clear. There is still a very slight sense of inner warmth in the sound, though still far from multibit. The biggest trait that I love is that sweet upper mids that comes out in female vocal.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #450 of 520
Very clean sounding DAC with good imaging. Can't believe it's D/S DAC. Quite precise in how sounds are presented. I like it's sound presentation.
I first thought it was bright sounding initially, but I think once I got used to the sound, it doesn't sound that bright. I like the snappiness of the microdynamics, very quick transients.

Bass is tight hard feel, not presented larger like tight hit then some subsequent soft release stage after. If done right, I prefer the ladder. Ladder type I refer to outputs are greater bass area. I'm not saying bass is lacking on the X-Sabre Pro, and it's one of the better bass presentation due to the tightness.

Best way to put it is that the imaging is quite vivid. This is the best sounding DAC among best measured I've heard. Unfortunately, best measured doesn't always mean good sounding.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back