Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro
Nov 23, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #451 of 520
Ok, I was curious enough if measurements can tell us how the well the DACs perform sonically. My logic initially was, if X-Sabre Pro sounds good and measures good, why not another DAC that measures good perform just as well?

This is where Topping D90 comes in, and what a disappointment it was. It's nowhere close to performance of the X-Sabre Pro, and I would not drop that much for such level of performance, and would rather go with a much cheaper Schiit DAC or if want to be fancy go for Bifrost 2 or higher. For the kind of mediocre performance of D90, why not just buy a dirt cheap DAC?

So, the lesson is that measurements do not correlate directly to the performance of a DAC. Topping is no where near the imaging and resolution performance of the X-Sabre Pro.

After this, I probably will not look at another Topping again. It seems Topping was raising their price by raising hype of pure objectivists that cannot tell DACs apart sonically.

Hear and look at measurements, not look at measurements and not hear. So, I would not look at a SINAD ranking chart and assume the higher ranked is the best sounding. That would be a BIG MISTAKE people can make and put down hundreds on mediocre sounding DAC. Smarter people actually compare by hearing, not by assumptions from data that doesn't give the complete picture.

I guess good stuff can come from China. Who designed the X-Sabre Pro?

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #457 of 520
Gotta love that soundstahe huh
Yeah, it's larger stage than the usual of more focused stage which sounds less realistic and seamingly like the speakers are beaming the sound vs spacious imaging.

Slight caveat is that the lower treble seems slight more emphasized, which makes it seem detailed, but also unnatural.

It seems this DAC is on the cool side for tonality. It is tight can clean, but also lack any warmth. Even the bass is super tight, that doesn't release hardly any 2nd stage warmth. So, the bass comes off as mainly mid bass with hardly any subs.

Interestingly, imaging is not so flat like most delta sigma DACs. Quite vivid imaging. Cheaper DACs usually have flat imaging or not vivid.

So yeah, it's an unusual DS DAC.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #459 of 520
I am hesitating between Matrix x saber Pro, Qutest or hugo TT. I have already high end preamp .
which dac is the softest, the least tiring, the less analytical and the most musical. which one is the most indulgent for lofi - indie pop music for example not well recorded

Dec 3, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #461 of 520
I am hesitating between Matrix x saber Pro, Qutest or hugo TT. I have already high end preamp .
which dac is the softest, the least tiring, the less analytical and the most musical. which one is the most indulgent for lofi - indie pop music for example not well recorded
Matrix easily beat Qutest... They sound kinda simmilar in tone, but Matrix is a little bit more organic and better when it comes to technicalities. Its simply is slightly step up. For me its as good as Hugo tt2 or very close to it. Dave is still the king though.
Keep in mind that if Usa brands would make such dac, then it would cost 5k easily. There is no better build quality than Matrix products...
Matrix and Fiio makes devices with amazing build quality and craftmanship and it feels as premium as best items in this business, doesnt matter the price.

Dec 3, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #462 of 520
Matrix easily beat Qutest... They sound kinda simmilar in tone, but Matrix is a little bit more organic and better when it comes to technicalities. Its simply is slightly step up. For me its as good as Hugo tt2 or very close to it. Dave is still the king though.
Keep in mind that if Usa brands would make such dac, then it would cost 5k easily. There is no better build quality than Matrix products...
Matrix and Fiio makes devices with amazing build quality and craftmanship and it feels as premium as best items in this business, doesnt matter the price.
But he mentioned Lo-Fi. I can't imagine using X-Sabre for lofi/indie... haha

Dec 3, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #463 of 520
Thank you !
I listen lofi music pavement / sonic youth / grandaddy sometimes... but not only.
I wouldn't want a Dac to be so resolving that it's impossible to listen to bad recordings.
In fact, I'm looking for the best allround dac

Dec 4, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #464 of 520
Get a good AKM DAC like the SMSL M400 or Gustard A22. For your music my vote goes to M400 100%. Sabre is known for its detail... not the most forgiving.

Thanks for your advice, indeed you are probably right, go to the AKM chip is perhaps better for a slight softness sound and warmth.
What would be the best choice for a DAC on which I would not use the Preamp part (I already have one) with the best USB implémentation
(I have a Matrix element H USB board) and i prefer not buy an interface USB/I2S
Burson 3XP looks like good too

Dec 4, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #465 of 520
Get a good AKM DAC like the SMSL M400 or Gustard A22. For your music my vote goes to M400 100%. Sabre is known for its detail... not the most forgiving.
After hearing the touted D90, I got a feeling all those DACs are mediocre and probably better off getting a much cheaper schiit DAC and save the money. D90 has AKM DAC, and sounded pretty mediocre for the price. I'm not saying X-Sabre pro is value priced, but the performance is on another level.

Like I've stated earlier, sound doesn't correlated to SINAD values, it's not that simple. I wish it was however.

As a dedicated DAC I thought DAVE was mediocre for the ridiculous price. I agree Matrix is a step up from the Qutest.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back