Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro
Dec 22, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #421 of 520
Thanks very much for the help. I suspect you may be right ie the nas computing power not up to par.

Here are screenshots of with and without parametric eq. The processing power does seem to drop quite a bit.

20191223_043348.jpg

20191223_043510.jpg

Jan 4, 2020 at 1:42 AM Post #422 of 520
So I took the nas out of the chain.
Intel Nuc as Roon core, usb to matrix.
Applied the EQ and same thing happens.
Either it fails to initialize the dac straight away, or one or two songs play before it fails to initialize for the subsequent song.
Processing speed is 30 to 40x.

Any ideas?

Jan 31, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #423 of 520
I got the Matrix Pro MQA today and haven't got a clue on how to get it working properly in Windows 10, what am I missing?

- Connected the DAC to my HP 450 G6 with Windows 10 1909
- Installed the latest USB Driver from Matrix
- DAC shows 24/48 no matter what I do
- Tried playing Tidal Masters tracks, DAC still says 24/48 PCM

h341W6O.png
EJsX7ot.png

wLU4Gd6.png

6nsWkQQ.png

I doubt 'SPEAKERS' is the correct thing to see for a USB device?
wW8AtBa.png

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #425 of 520
It will show up as speakers because thats the device that is controlling the audio sort of how a tv will show as speakers if you are using it as a monitor and audio out. Any way you need to use WASAPI to allow the dac to take over and change according to the output its receiving.

https://newsandviews.dataton.com/what-is-wasapi?hs_amp=true

pretty much you need to use foobar and make sure its in WASAPI mode or use tidal and go into streaming settings and allow for it to control the dac.

I got the Matrix Pro MQA today and haven't got a clue on how to get it working properly in Windows 10, what am I missing?

h341W6O.png
EJsX7ot.png

wLU4Gd6.png

6nsWkQQ.png

wW8AtBa.png

Feb 6, 2020 at 4:46 AM Post #426 of 520

h341W6O.png
EJsX7ot.png

wLU4Gd6.png

6nsWkQQ.png

wW8AtBa.png
Open the Tidal, click "Setting", then click the "streaming", at the "sound output", choice the X-sabre Pro. Then click the "(more setting)",turn on "Use Exclusive mode"

Feb 21, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #427 of 520
So I've finally hooked up my MQA sabre pro to my oppo 105d using coaxial cable.

Playing from tidal app from the oppo, I realize the oppo can't send mqa files. Playing mqa songs (or whatever songs on tidal for that matter) always show up on the sabre pro as: coa pcm 44.1kHz 16 bit.

Also, am I supposed to hear a big difference when switching between
Dither on/off
Jitter on/off
Async/sync

Can't seem to really hear an obvious difference...

I have the BDP-105. Never used the Tidal app myself. But I might know what is wrong with your setting.
On the Oppo player, you should set your audio format to bitstream instead of fix PCM.
Otherwise, OPPO will try to convert everything into the fix PCM rate you have configured on it.
Hope this will get you issue resolved.

Jun 1, 2020 at 12:54 AM Post #428 of 520
After reading this review and a short discussion with Amirm (from ASR) , ordered the Matric Sabre X Pro for the second workstation/office at home.

AK SP2000 > Matrix SABRE X Pro > McIntosh MHA100 > Focal Utopia/FiR M5

Just arrived last week and the second workstation setup is complete.
20200529_231439.jpg
20200529_231432.jpg
20200531_003441.jpg
20200531_233800.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2020 at 2:02 AM Post #430 of 520
Very nice! Dig the Focal Profile 908 as well.
Thank you, am thinking about the B&W 805 Diamonds next since this work from home thingy might end up being a long term thing

Jun 1, 2020 at 2:21 AM Post #431 of 520
After reading this review and a short discussion with Amirm (from ASR) , ordered the Matric Sabre X Pro for the second workstation/office at home.

AK SP2000 > Matrix SABRE X Pro > McIntosh MHA100 > Focal Utopia/FiR M5

Just arrived last week and the second workstation setup is complete.
20200529_231439.jpg20200529_231432.jpg20200531_003441.jpg20200531_233800.jpg
Those super thick cables look ridiculous though

Jun 1, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #434 of 520
After having Matrix X-Sabre Pro and Matrix x-spdif2 for quite sometimes, I have different setting now. Just sharing what I found. Initially, I am using Async, filter 7, dither On and Jitter Off. I like it a lot as it sounds like my Chord Qutest but better in vocal too. All these changes are relatives too. When i was using filter 7, i am using wireworld starlight 7 usb cable initially but the synergy was too clinical so I bought cardas high speed usb cable then it was better. Then i have not change any settings.

During these Covid-19, I have a lot of times to play the setting and adjust my system. After reading from forum, I change the Async to Sync. Immediately, I hear the change in sound and I like it a lot! It sounds more holographic. I realize i miss so much joy for so long.

Then I am curious and starts to play with all the filter setting. Then I notice filter 6 sounds more natural. Although filter 7 sounds good as it is more neutral, clear and very good soundstage but some songs seems too clinical that I have to turn down the volume. As for filter 6, I don't hear the clinical sounds. When I change from filter 7 to 6, initially I may find the filter 6 is a bit too round off in high treble but after a while, I hear filter 6 is more natural. Then I also change the Jitter On as the vocal sounds better.

I am using piano music to test as I want my system to sounds as real as possible to real piano. Using filter 7, it sounds nice but lack of weight for the piano. Using filter 6, I hear more weight on the piano and more natural. I also use violin music to gauge the filter. The violin sound clean and squeaky using filter 7. No wonder, i need to turn down the volume as it sounds too clinical. Filter 6, i can hear the violin have the resonance from the body of the violin instead of just the string only.

With the new setting, I realize that even trumpet and bass also sounds more real too. Without the weight, although it sounds good for filter 7 but can be fatigue and not so real. With some weight in filter 6, the music sounds more real now. The timbre and tone is more accurate to me now so it sounds more real to me.

Jun 1, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #435 of 520
After having Matrix X-Sabre Pro and Matrix x-spdif2 for quite sometimes, I have different setting now. Just sharing what I found. Initially, I am using Async, filter 7, dither On and Jitter Off. I like it a lot as it sounds like my Chord Qutest but better in vocal too. All these changes are relatives too. When i was using filter 7, i am using wireworld starlight 7 usb cable initially but the synergy was too clinical so I bought cardas high speed usb cable then it was better. Then i have not change any settings.

During these Covid-19, I have a lot of times to play the setting and adjust my system. After reading from forum, I change the Async to Sync. Immediately, I hear the change in sound and I like it a lot! It sounds more holographic. I realize i miss so much joy for so long.

Then I am curious and starts to play with all the filter setting. Then I notice filter 6 sounds more natural. Although filter 7 sounds good as it is more neutral, clear and very good soundstage but some songs seems too clinical that I have to turn down the volume. As for filter 6, I don't hear the clinical sounds. When I change from filter 7 to 6, initially I may find the filter 6 is a bit too round off in high treble but after a while, I hear filter 6 is more natural. Then I also change the Jitter On as the vocal sounds better.

I am using piano music to test as I want my system to sounds as real as possible to real piano. Using filter 7, it sounds nice but lack of weight for the piano. Using filter 6, I hear more weight on the piano and more natural. I also use violin music to gauge the filter. The violin sound clean and squeaky using filter 7. No wonder, i need to turn down the volume as it sounds too clinical. Filter 6, i can hear the violin have the resonance from the body of the violin instead of just the string only.

With the new setting, I realize that even trumpet and bass also sounds more real too. Without the weight, although it sounds good for filter 7 but can be fatigue and not so real. With some weight in filter 6, the music sounds more real now. The timbre and tone is more accurate to me now so it sounds more real to me.
Useless post whitout mentioning of your headphones or speakers youre listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back