Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro
Dec 14, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #407 of 520
I just read on the denafrips terminator thread that they don't recommend plugging in both xlr and rca plugs into the dac at the same time. Does the same go for the x-sabre pro?

Dec 18, 2019 at 4:24 AM Post #409 of 520
Does anyone use Roon with matrix x-sabre pro?

Seems like the dac doesn't like having DSPs added to the chain.. When I add a convolution file, or even parametric eq, either the song doesn't play and I get the message that the dac failed to initialize, or one or two songs play and then subsequent songs suddenly fail (and then failed to initialize msg pops up).

Once I take away the DSPs, the songs play as per normal.

Dec 20, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #411 of 520
For anyone playing DSD, or converting to DSD, did you find that the sound was better directly into the USB port, or better via XSPDIF2 i2s if you have one?

I find IIS into the Matrix using PC --> Singxer SU-1 --> DAC has a blacker background and more detail, while still being very engaging and musical. This is with HQPlayer software either outputting direct DSD source or converting PCM --> DSD.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2019 at 6:42 AM Post #412 of 520
I find IIS into the Matrix using PC --> Singxer SU-1 --> DAC has a blacker background and more detail, while still being very engaging and musical. This is with HQPlayer software either outputting direct DSD source or converting PCM --> DSD.
Hmm i find the sound to be kind of less exciting going through my Shanti lps > usbridge signature > idefender > xspdif2 i2s > matrix sabre pro than directly connecting it to the Allo streamer technically I think a direct connection will give the lowest jitter as DSD is more sensitive to it than PCM.

Dec 21, 2019 at 8:22 AM Post #413 of 520
Hmm i find the sound to be kind of less exciting going through my Shanti lps > usbridge signature > idefender > xspdif2 i2s > matrix sabre pro than directly connecting it to the Allo streamer technically I think a direct connection will give the lowest jitter as DSD is more sensitive to it than PCM.
Sometimes less is more

Dec 21, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #414 of 520
Sometimes less is more
Yeah the thing the i2s output has going for it is the galvanic isolation that matrix audio says they deploy, which is probably not needed depending on how clean the usb port used is from EMI/RFI common mode noise, data line noise etc.
It's probably possible for the jitter to be lower via the i2s but we won't know for sure without measurements.
On another note i don't get why more usb converters don't use the NDK SDA clocks, their close-in phase noise at 10hz is lower than the crystek clocks at around -105 to 115dbc.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #415 of 520
Sometimes less is more
Agreed, but the key word is "sometimes". Ultimately, listening tests and subjective preference factor in, explaining why reasonable people may differ in their conclusions.

Dec 22, 2019 at 1:13 AM Post #416 of 520
Does anyone use Roon with matrix x-sabre pro?

Seems like the dac doesn't like having DSPs added to the chain.. When I add a convolution file, or even parametric eq, either the song doesn't play and I get the message that the dac failed to initialize, or one or two songs play and then subsequent songs suddenly fail (and then failed to initialize msg pops up).

Once I take away the DSPs, the songs play as per normal.

Did you try EQ with another DAC?

Would consider the issue in Roon.

Is your PC fast enough to handle EQ?

Dec 22, 2019 at 2:11 AM Post #417 of 520
Did you try EQ with another DAC?

Would consider the issue in Roon.

Is your PC fast enough to handle EQ?

Yep I have done EQ with another dac (benchmark dac3b) and no issues. PC is Intel 8th gen core i7 2.7GHz with 32gb ram.

Dec 22, 2019 at 3:14 AM Post #418 of 520
Yep I have done EQ with another dac (benchmark dac3b) and no issues. PC is Intel 8th gen core i7 2.7GHz with 32gb ram.

Ok.

How are your DAC's connected to Roon?

PC(core, bridge) - usb - DAC?
PC(core) - roon bridge -?? - DAC?

Is the roon signal path different between the dacs (different conversion, etc) ? Or the speed factor?

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #419 of 520
Ok.

How are your DAC's connected to Roon?

PC(core, bridge) - usb - DAC?
PC(core) - roon bridge -?? - DAC?

Is the roon signal path different between the dacs (different conversion, etc) ? Or the speed factor?

I have two setups.

Qnap Nas (core)
Network switch
PC (bridge)
Dac (matrix audio mqa x-sabre pro)

Qnap nas (core)
Network switch
Cambridge audio cxn v2
Dac (benchmark dac3b)

Not sure what you mean by speed factor..

I can live without adding dsp to the first setup, just that it would be nice if I could, to just do a parametric eq to reduce gain a bit at about 2khz for when I listen with headphones.

Dec 22, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #420 of 520
I have two setups.

Qnap Nas (core)
Network switch
PC (bridge)
Dac (matrix audio mqa x-sabre pro)

Qnap nas (core)
Network switch
Cambridge audio cxn v2
Dac (benchmark dac3b)

Not sure what you mean by speed factor..

I can live without adding dsp to the first setup, just that it would be nice if I could, to just do a parametric eq to reduce gain a bit at about 2khz for when I listen with headphones.

Are the following assumptions correct: The benchmark is connected to the Cambridge with S/PDIF (coax or toslink). The Cambridge seems not to be directly roon ready, but you can connect via Built-In Chromecast, which is limited to 24Bit/96kHz?

If correct: Have you tried to connect the matrix via S/PDIF to the Cambridge? I'm pretty sure, it will work incl. EQ.

Are the next assumptions correct as well: The matrix is connected to the PC via USB? The PC runs Roons Bridge only, not the core?

If correct: USB connections allow higher sample rates, then Chromecast. Higher sample rate, higher compute requirements. Your i7 PC has quite good specs, but it doesn't matter as the DSP/EQ calculations are done in the roon core. Not sure about the qnap NAS spec, but if have the normal version for home use, it not compareable with the compute power of your PC.
Depending on the complexity of your EQ and other conversion, you NAS maid be not fast enough. You can check your signal path. On top of it there should be "Performance/Speed factor" like "8.3x" or any other number. If this factor is close to 1.0x it means your nas is to slow. Please note, this factor is not stable, but change depending on the load of your nas.

Another potential problem could you the USB driver from matrix, especially for very high sample rates.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back