Matrix Audio Element Series Thread
Jan 29, 2021 at 1:06 AM Post #121 of 214
I use my element X exclusively with Roon, my personal experience is that it works flawlessly with Roon.

I have heard issues with some users using the X with the MA app, stream from NAS or SD card, etc., I cannot comment since I do not use my X that way.
Thanks. Another vote of confidence for Roon. Looks like I might be using this service after all; the seamless (and wireless) functionality is very appealing to me.

Jan 29, 2021 at 1:29 AM Post #122 of 214
Yes, that’s the reason I went with a streamer and ultimately this Element M.
Eliminating USB cables from the chain is a step worth taking plus only really dealing with your headphone cable is really nice.

Also, It’s a solid all in one that allows me to configure my system around it primarily as DAC/streamer.

I’m in the middle of reconfiguring my system from a dynamic with tubes to a planar with a SS im still researching about so it’s nice that the integrated amp is powerful enough to drive most planars and I imagine the fully balanced X is even better.

There were a few on the classifieds that went for around $2100-2300.

Should’ve scored one especially before the price hike but I got my M for a good deal practically new.
It retails now for $2000. Damn.

Jan 29, 2021 at 3:01 AM Post #123 of 214
Just made a video to illustrate the problems:

1) The Tidal playlist has 55 tracks, when adding the the queue it becomes 58 tracks
2) The order of tracks are totally screwed up
3) It stops playing after 1st song and makes some random skips (looks like)

Jan 29, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #124 of 214
Yes, that’s the reason I went with a streamer and ultimately this Element M.
Eliminating USB cables from the chain is a step worth taking plus only really dealing with your headphone cable is really nice.

Also, It’s a solid all in one that allows me to configure my system around it primarily as DAC/streamer.

I’m in the middle of reconfiguring my system from a dynamic with tubes to a planar with a SS im still researching about so it’s nice that the integrated amp is powerful enough to drive most planars and I imagine the fully balanced X is even better.

There were a few on the classifieds that went for around $2100-2300.

Should’ve scored one especially before the price hike but I got my M for a good deal practically new.
It retails now for $2000. Damn.
Yes, moving to a wireless setup is one of my primary motivators in this "DAC hunt". My PC is terribly noisy; even using Unison USB input on my current Gungnir Multibit doesn't remove all of that electrical noise. Hence, trading up to an Yggdrasil (with the same Unison USB) doesn't spark a lot of confidence, at least in terms of noise.

On the wireless front, the DACs that have caught my eye are the Element X and the iFi Audio iDSD Pro. Both of these units have what I require / desire in an all-in-one DAC, streamer, and headphone amplifier package.

It appears that Roon is the way to go. If that's the case, the Element X is a good place to start, since the iDSD Pro isn't Roon certified at the moment. I'll be auditioning the Element X soon - if the sound and the wireless capabilities are up to scratch, this might be my next DAC.

Jan 30, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #125 of 214
Thanks. Another vote of confidence for Roon. Looks like I might be using this service after all; the seamless (and wireless) functionality is very appealing to me.
For your info., I am using ethernet now, before that I was using Wifi. About 3 meters from my N router, also flawless reception, almost instantaneous file loading, even big DSD file, the lag is so minimal I don't have any problem with it. Again this is my personal experience, cannot speak for others, I was looking for an all-in-one solution, other than dCS Bartok I cannot find another one fitting my needs, of course I don't have the money for Bartok :k701smile:

Jan 30, 2021 at 6:53 AM Post #127 of 214
For your info., I am using ethernet now, before that I was using Wifi. About 3 meters from my N router, also flawless reception, almost instantaneous file loading, even big DSD file, the lag is so minimal I don't have any problem with it. Again this is my personal experience, cannot speak for others, I was looking for an all-in-one solution, other than dCS Bartok I cannot find another one fitting my needs, of course I don't have the money for Bartok :k701smile:
What? Bartok? Let's not even go there. :joy:

I've been doing so much reading on the Element X, and the other members of the Element family, it almost feels like I've been inundated with an overload of information. For my use-case, the Element X almost matches my needs perfectly. Now, I'll just need to have a go at its sound capabilities to determine if it's a great-sounding device. :)

By the way, for anyone using an Element (X, M, or I), how does the line and headphone outputs function in tandem? I am thinking of connecting the Element X to an external amplifier (for headphone duty), but I also want to use the Element X with my IEMs. If the Element is connected to an amplifier via RCA or XLR, but I also plug in an IEM or headphone to the Element directly, does this mute the pre-outs to the external amplifier?

Jan 30, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #128 of 214
What? Bartok? Let's not even go there. :joy:

I've been doing so much reading on the Element X, and the other members of the Element family, it almost feels like I've been inundated with an overload of information. For my use-case, the Element X almost matches my needs perfectly. Now, I'll just need to have a go at its sound capabilities to determine if it's a great-sounding device. :)

By the way, for anyone using an Element (X, M, or I), how does the line and headphone outputs function in tandem? I am thinking of connecting the Element X to an external amplifier (for headphone duty), but I also want to use the Element X with my IEMs. If the Element is connected to an amplifier via RCA or XLR, but I also plug in an IEM or headphone to the Element directly, does this mute the pre-outs to the external amplifier?

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...matrix-audio-element-x-dac-streamer-amp.7782/

Not sure if you have seen the thread above with detailed measurement, which was exceptional, but also quite a few users complaining about their experience using MA app and other streaming issues, but again it seems not a lot of users there use Roon, I am one of the few and like I said my experience, mine alone, has been flawless with Roon.

As with headphone amp, you can switch between headphone amp output, or analogue output (XLR & RCA active together) by front panel button or the MA app, which can also switch your sources, control DSD and CD filters. I uses it with my Empyrean and I am very happy with it, is it the best with the Empyrean? I don't think so, but again I was looking for an all-in-one solution, and the X fits me essentially perfectly, I sure wouldn't mind to pay less :dt880smile:, but personally I think it is a fair asking price for what it can do.

Jan 30, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #129 of 214
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...matrix-audio-element-x-dac-streamer-amp.7782/

Not sure if you have seen the thread above with detailed measurement, which was exceptional, but also quite a few users complaining about their experience using MA app and other streaming issues, but again it seems not a lot of users there use Roon, I am one of the few and like I said my experience, mine alone, has been flawless with Roon.
Yeah, I've spent a whole day digesting that particular thread (and many others).

The Element X is a product whose sound quality has been roundly praised by many audio-related websites and/or fora, such as Head-Fi, SBAF, ASR, Headphones.com, et al. It's quite an impressive feat, to be honest.

Sadly, its wireless capabilities are not up to scratch; however, Roon appears to be a solid platform.

As with headphone amp, you can switch between headphone amp output, or analogue output (XLR & RCA active together) by front panel button or the MA app, which can also switch your sources, control DSD and CD filters. I uses it with my Empyrean and I am very happy with it, is it the best with the Empyrean? I don't think so, but again I was looking for an all-in-one solution, and the X fits me essentially perfectly, I sure wouldn't mind to pay less :dt880smile:, but personally I think it is a fair asking price for what it can do.
Ahh, okay. I was hoping that the Element X would mute the pre-outs automatically if the headphone-out socket was used. No worries, switching between the 2, via the menu, shouldn't be a problem. Thanks!

Jan 30, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #130 of 214
Yeah, I've spent a whole day digesting that particular thread (and many others).

The Element X is a product whose sound quality has been roundly praised by many audio-related websites and/or fora, such as Head-Fi, SBAF, ASR, Headphones.com, et al. It's quite an impressive feat, to be honest.

Sadly, its wireless capabilities are not up to scratch; however, Roon appears to be a solid platform.

Ahh, okay. I was hoping that the Element X would mute the pre-outs automatically if the headphone-out socket was used. No worries, switching between the 2, via the menu, shouldn't be a problem. Thanks!

In my situation, the Wi-Fi was more than enough, I guess the main complaint was the Wi-Fi card is not AC which the original spec mentioned, but N instead, but still plenty of speed for all the hires files I have. As for the switching between output, it's not automatic but easy as pie to switch.

Jan 30, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #131 of 214
In my situation, the Wi-Fi was more than enough, I guess the main complaint was the Wi-Fi card is not AC which the original spec mentioned, but N instead, but still plenty of speed for all the hires files I have. As for the switching between output, it's not automatic but easy as pie to switch.
Thanks! You've been a great help. Now, the next step is to audition the Element X (and probably the rest of the lineup). :)

For such highly-lauded devices, it's strange that the brand isn't getting much traction on Head-Fi. The X-Sabre Pro and the Element X have garnered their fair share of accolades.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 7:14 PM Post #133 of 214
Roon's awesome :L3000:

If it floats one's boat, it's really difficult to get back to anything else :)
I've never explored the possibility of using Roon all this while - I've been decidedly a wired audiophile; all of my files are stored locally (WAV, FLAC), and I hardly use any streaming services (Spotify for fleeting on-the-go convenience). Nevertheless, I've been greatly intrigued with the idea of integrating Roon into my entire ecosystem; this frees the wires, reduces electrical noise, and increases the convenience factor. I think it's a win-win situation. :)

I know this is off topic, but has iFi considered incorporating Roon into your DACs, specifically the flagship iDSD Pro? It's a product that I've also been looking at. However, the omission of Roon Ready capability is quite puzzling. Thanks in advance!

Feb 1, 2021 at 11:15 PM Post #135 of 214
If you pay premium to use roon you can stream to rpi and a good DAC for 1/3 price (like topping d90 mqa).

Agree Topping D90 + A90 + rpi are an excellent and lower cost alternative when compared to the element X, the combo however comes in more boxes and interconnecting cables. For some, like myself, I prefer an all-in-one solution, not necessarily better, just personal preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back