Matrix Audio Element Series Thread
May 25, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #152 of 214
It does say ALAC supported. I just don't know to what extent. Maybe the Matrix Audio guys that frequent this board will let us know.
But I wonder if Airplay 1 will allow to transmit ALAC

May 25, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #153 of 214
But I wonder if Airplay 1 will allow to transmit ALAC
Now via USB, it will probably work, via airplay, time will tell

May 25, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #155 of 214
In that case you should be fine. I mean I hope haha

May 25, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #156 of 214
I actually have a Mini-i 3 Pro and now I wonder the same...

May 25, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #157 of 214
Jul 9, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #158 of 214
Hi all, what other dac/amps have you guys considered?

Jul 12, 2021 at 1:37 AM Post #160 of 214
The Mytek Brooklyn was a consideration for me.
I bought mine before the price hike (used) at a decent price so the Mytek was hundreds more back then.

Ive been using it as my main DAC for exactly a year now. I don't have experience with much DACs or streamers so I'm no help with comparisons.
I'm not sure the Element M would qualify as high end with its Sabre 9028Pro chip but Im pretty sure Id recognize if someone swapped it out for something less. Or something more too since after a year I think I'd notice an abrupt change.

Via the Matrix app the sound is quite good (the thing is buggy AF tho but I survived an entire year with it).
Ive never thought it wasn't detailed enough or had an odd glare or brightness to it but again nothing to compare it with
except my iFi DACs which isn't a fair comparison. The Matrix easily out resolves the Burr Brown configuration of the iFi Diablo.

Recently subscribed to Roon as the main attraction to this DAC is that its Roon Ready. Via Roon this DAC steps up in sound noticeably (the Diablo did too)
It sounds wider, deeper, more hi fi. Thats Roon DSP right? Qobuz sounds better than Tidal BTW....
Ive never connected it via LAN input so I'm not sure if that would increase the quality even more so.
My router is downstairs and my bedroom is directly above where its placed in my living room and the less cables the better.

Its been running smoothly since day one so over 365 straight days now. I can't really complain about this DAC. Its the baby brother to the ASR revered Element X so its probably on the objective side of "good" if that's your thing.
Im sure separates could maybe sound better but the convenience and footprint of the Element M is a reasonable trade off for me.

I just wish it came in a nice black too.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #161 of 214
Hi, I hope everyone is well. I wanted to see if anyone had experience using the Element X in wifi and Lan mode and if so, is there any noticeable or appreciable difference in sound quality? If so, what are those differences. Right now I'm listening through wi fi mode and I'm satisfied with the sound quality, but I've been wondering if there might be any benefit to connecting the unit directly via Lan. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks, James

Aug 30, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #162 of 214
The Mytek Brooklyn was a consideration for me.
I bought mine before the price hike (used) at a decent price so the Mytek was hundreds more back then.

Ive been using it as my main DAC for exactly a year now. I don't have experience with much DACs or streamers so I'm no help with comparisons.
I'm not sure the Element M would qualify as high end with its Sabre 9028Pro chip but Im pretty sure Id recognize if someone swapped it out for something less. Or something more too since after a year I think I'd notice an abrupt change.

Via the Matrix app the sound is quite good (the thing is buggy AF tho but I survived an entire year with it).
Ive never thought it wasn't detailed enough or had an odd glare or brightness to it but again nothing to compare it with
except my iFi DACs which isn't a fair comparison. The Matrix easily out resolves the Burr Brown configuration of the iFi Diablo.

Recently subscribed to Roon as the main attraction to this DAC is that its Roon Ready. Via Roon this DAC steps up in sound noticeably (the Diablo did too)
It sounds wider, deeper, more hi fi. Thats Roon DSP right? Qobuz sounds better than Tidal BTW....
Ive never connected it via LAN input so I'm not sure if that would increase the quality even more so.
My router is downstairs and my bedroom is directly above where its placed in my living room and the less cables the better.

Its been running smoothly since day one so over 365 straight days now. I can't really complain about this DAC. Its the baby brother to the ASR revered Element X so its probably on the objective side of "good" if that's your thing.
Im sure separates could maybe sound better but the convenience and footprint of the Element M is a reasonable trade off for me.

I just wish it came in a nice black too.
I too have the Matrix find it is a great one box solution (handles all my local streaming via roon or jriver/dlna not the buggy app) Unfortunately the HP output is a bit low for me and why i am looking for another, more powerful solution.

Aug 30, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #163 of 214
Hi, I hope everyone is well. I wanted to see if anyone had experience using the Element X in wifi and Lan mode and if so, is there any noticeable or appreciable difference in sound quality? If so, what are those differences. Right now I'm listening through wi fi mode and I'm satisfied with the sound quality, but I've been wondering if there might be any benefit to connecting the unit directly via Lan. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks, James
There is no difference in the sound, nor should there be (all else being equal) unless you have wifi problems (dropped packets due to latency issues or other network gremlins).

Aug 30, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #164 of 214
Same here, and agree it's great. Nice to have a modestly priced Roon ready device that sounds great, especially when paired with a great amp - a Feliks Echo in my case.
Just to confirm if you can, this will only play with roon, or airplay right?
No dlna access like the i, m and x, correct? I dont mean through the matrix app but any app like jriver which uses dlna to access local files

Aug 30, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #165 of 214
Hi, I hope everyone is doing ok. I have a question relating to the element x volume settings. sometimes use the matrix element x in my 2 channel system plugged directly into a Pass Labs stereo amplifier. I realize that my question may be a little off topic for headphones, but I'm hoping for guidance. I would be using the element x as the pre-amp and volume control. (The Pass Labs amplifier does not have a volume control.) I'm not clear as to which pre-amp setting to use on the element x. The element x settings are 0dB Fixed (I think for use only if an external pre amp is used), fixed 0dB ADJ, and 10 dB ADJ (+10dB gain, attenuation adjustable). Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back