Matrix Audio Element Series Thread
Jan 14, 2022 at 11:30 PM Post #181 of 214
Have been using the MA Element X for the last year and am still loving it. Superb features/functionality paired with great performance. Roon support is a must for me these days, so the unit fits seamlessly into my setup. My only quibble I have is that MA do not produce the unit in black.

I've used the unit as a stand alone all-in-one and also tried pairing it to couple of different headphone amps (the Sennheiser HDV 820 and the Woo Audio WA22 (2nd gen)). I definitely prefer the Woo Audio combination above all else but still find myself using it as stand alone unit a fair amount of time as well. Look forward to future MA products.
How did you feel pairing it with the WA22? My main reason for purchasing the X is as a DAC for my WA22 and to cut the computer out of the mix. Did you feel you gained much warmth with the 22, or didn’t gain enough to feel it was worth having in the mix?

Mar 6, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #182 of 214
Bumping this thread so I can link to my review of the Element i located HERE. I really enjoy the "baby" model in the lineup and when paired with an external linear PSU, it performs that much better.

I have not compared the Element i with PSU upgrade to the Element M. That would be interesting as the final price would be vaguely similar. The M adds a few minor features like higher sample rate/DSD rate playback but for the most part they are a good match, so we'd be pitting the integrated Matrix-designed internal PSU versus whichever brand of external PSU chosen for the Element i. Results probably vary based on which one is used but with my Wyred4Sound PS-1 I get superb performance.

Mar 8, 2022 at 8:32 AM Post #183 of 214
HI Everyone !
I just received my Element X and I am facing some issue... hoepefully I can get some help here :

1. Display : the display keeps turning off after 5 seconds, I could not find a setting to change this behavior
  2. Network: it won't connect to my network...
    1. Wired: keep saying "Auto Scanning" but nothing happens. There is no orange/green light flashing on the network socket
    2. Wifi : the instructions requires to push the knob for 5 seconds to put the matrix in hotspot mode. When I push the volume knob, nothing happens
This is getting a bit frustrating, anyone experienced anything like this ?

Mar 8, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #184 of 214
HI Everyone !
I just received my Element X and I am facing some issue... hoepefully I can get some help here :

1. Display : the display keeps turning off after 5 seconds, I could not find a setting to change this behavior
  2. Network: it won't connect to my network...
    1. Wired: keep saying "Auto Scanning" but nothing happens. There is no orange/green light flashing on the network socket
    2. Wifi : the instructions requires to push the knob for 5 seconds to put the matrix in hotspot mode. When I push the volume knob, nothing happens
This is getting a bit frustrating, anyone experienced anything like this ?
You need select 110v first at bottom panel.

Mar 8, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #186 of 214
I live in Europe, I think 230V should be ok, no?
I managed to fix all the issues I faced
Issue 1 was self inflicted, I just changed the dimmer settings :)
For the network, I had to connect the matrix directly to the router in order to see that on the app and update the firmware. Once done, all is working fine

Sep 21, 2022 at 11:31 PM Post #187 of 214
Looks like this thread is not getting much traffic anymore. @Malevolent did you ever go the the Element X and if so how’d it work out for you? With the new X2 out (even more expensive) cost of the older unit has come down. Other than 1 reviewer early on this thread who didn’t find the X as dynamic as would have been liked (in contrast to many other reviewers) and some problems with playing music in the MA app nothing I read on this thread was damning, and it sounds like Matrix customer service was ok and responsive.

Similar to others, if I purchase I too will focus on Roon use (wifi, Ethernet or possibly I2S, whichever works best l and pair it as a DAC with a downstream amp (A90 Discrete to start with), and compare the headphone output impedance to thar and use whichever works best. Not worried about the MA app as long as it will operate the unit as a remote,

Sep 21, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #188 of 214
This thread is not getting much traffic anymore ... this unit is not exactly new and to me, its just rock solid, when it works as intended, handles media well, work seemlessly with Roon, probably not much to write about, especially when there is a new model. I love mine, perhaps the new one is better? I will stick with mine, especially with the XLR HP output. Just my 2 cents.

Sep 22, 2022 at 7:08 AM Post #189 of 214
Similar to others, if I purchase I too will focus on Roon use (wifi, Ethernet or possibly I2S, whichever works best l and pair it as a DAC with a downstream amp (A90 Discrete to start with), and compare the headphone output impedance to thar and use whichever works best. Not worried about the MA app as long as it will operate the unit as a remote,
this is how I use it. Roon endpoint connected to a couple of headphone amps :
  • Balanced : Burson Soloist
  • Unbalanced : MicroZotl 2

Works like a charm, even in Wifi. Never had an issue with it, it sounds spectacular.
Honestly I don't understand what more the X2 is offering other than a nice display.
DAC chip and performance is the same. Headphone amp seems to be less powerful, at least for 300ohms headphones.
Maybe I am missing something ...
@jlemaster1957 , if you find a good offer for the original X I would definitely go for it

1663844858670.png

Sep 22, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #190 of 214
If we talk about the "entry-level" Element i, the new i2 version seems like a decent improvement. It adds the better Crystek clock, upgrades the CPU to the quad-core version used in the higher models, adds an integrated linear PSU, and gives balanced headphone out (4.4mm, not XLR, but still). That all seems pretty worthwhile, though I still love the original with the ability to "roll your own" PSU upgrade that fits your budget/desired SQ.

But I agree that on the X model, the newer version doesn't really seem like a huge improvement. They added the touch screen, which might be nice for transport controls. The preamp section has been improved as well. And there are some potentially useful connectivity options like USB C and ARC-capable HDMI. None of that really matters to me though, and they actually took away the full-size XLR balanced headphone out in exchange for a 4.4mm jack - not a fair trade imho. A used first-gen X does seem like the way to go.

Or, it might be worth considering the X-Sabre 3 instead. It has a lot in common with the Element X, and arguably looks/sounds a bit better. For someone using external amps anyway (like the pic above), the lack of integrated headphone out won't be an issue. Beyond that the only major difference is the Element models can play music from attached drives while the X-Sabre 3 is streaming only. But someone like me using Roon with external amplification would not care about that.

Sep 22, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #191 of 214
If we talk about the "entry-level" Element i, the new i2 version seems like a decent improvement. It adds the better Crystek clock, upgrades the CPU to the quad-core version used in the higher models, adds an integrated linear PSU, and gives balanced headphone out (4.4mm, not XLR, but still). That all seems pretty worthwhile, though I still love the original with the ability to "roll your own" PSU upgrade that fits your budget/desired SQ.

But I agree that on the X model, the newer version doesn't really seem like a huge improvement. They added the touch screen, which might be nice for transport controls. The preamp section has been improved as well. And there are some potentially useful connectivity options like USB C and ARC-capable HDMI. None of that really matters to me though, and they actually took away the full-size XLR balanced headphone out in exchange for a 4.4mm jack - not a fair trade imho. A used first-gen X does seem like the way to go.

Or, it might be worth considering the X-Sabre 3 instead. It has a lot in common with the Element X, and arguably looks/sounds a bit better. For someone using external amps anyway (like the pic above), the lack of integrated headphone out won't be an issue. Beyond that the only major difference is the Element models can play music from attached drives while the X-Sabre 3 is streaming only. But someone like me using Roon with external amplification would not care about that.
I hate that they want every dac = streamer.
Sabre pro mqa cost 2000 and Sabre 3 3000 for mostly streamer that many dont need.
If one wants features then one can buy cheaper Element i or expensive Element X, but why add useless features and increase price for every dac?
I dont like this approach where every device should be able to multitask for increased price.

Sep 23, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #192 of 214
I hate that they want every dac = streamer.
Sabre pro mqa cost 2000 and Sabre 3 3000 for mostly streamer that many dont need.
If one wants features then one can buy cheaper Element i or expensive Element X, but why add useless features and increase price for every dac?
I dont like this approach where every device should be able to multitask for increased price.

I can see your point for sure. If you already have a source you are satisfied with, the X-Sabre 3 doesn't make as much sense. I believe the streaming portion is fairly well integrated into the design though, so I'm not sure how they would separate that out.

Despite using a lot of the same chips and such, the 3 is actually completely redesigned from the earlier Pro MQA model. Which may at least partially justify the price increase. That, plus the streaming part, plus general inflation, add up to account for the higher cost.

I do think the X-Sabre 3 is priced fairly considering its capabilities (it's a really great sounding DAC) but I can also see how that would make the Pro MQA version seem like a bargain in relation.

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing Matrix separate things further and give us a dedicated streamer product, without any integrated DAC/headphone amp on board. But they seem reluctant to offer that even after many years of being asked about it.

Sep 24, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #193 of 214
I can see your point for sure. If you already have a source you are satisfied with, the X-Sabre 3 doesn't make as much sense. I believe the streaming portion is fairly well integrated into the design though, so I'm not sure how they would separate that out.

Despite using a lot of the same chips and such, the 3 is actually completely redesigned from the earlier Pro MQA model. Which may at least partially justify the price increase. That, plus the streaming part, plus general inflation, add up to account for the higher cost.

I do think the X-Sabre 3 is priced fairly considering its capabilities (it's a really great sounding DAC) but I can also see how that would make the Pro MQA version seem like a bargain in relation.

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing Matrix separate things further and give us a dedicated streamer product, without any integrated DAC/headphone amp on board. But they seem reluctant to offer that even after many years of being asked about it.
Yup i read about improvements, but when MQ model is discounted it kinda sucks to pay for extra for something you dont need.
It wasnt that long that non mq sabre pro model costed 1600 euro.
You could keep both products 1 pure dac with no mqa and other bs and Sabre 3 for customers who want multitasking device.
this way they could sell a lot more units... If somebody wants multitasking device then he will get Element X2.
I feel like Mqa model was competing very well with other Sabre dacs like Gustard x26 pro and Topping d90se, but now people wont pay double or triple for slight improvement.

Sep 24, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #194 of 214
Yup i read about improvements, but when MQ model is discounted it kinda sucks to pay for extra for something you dont need.
It wasnt that long that non mq sabre pro model costed 1600 euro.
You could keep both products 1 pure dac with no mqa and other bs and Sabre 3 for customers who want multitasking device.
this way they could sell a lot more units... If somebody wants multitasking device then he will get Element X2.
I feel like Mqa model was competing very well with other Sabre dacs like Gustard x26 pro and Topping d90se, but now people wont pay double or triple for slight improvement.
This is exactly on point for me. I have D90SE but the OG Element X has appeal for the superior (?) quality of the DAC and direct streaming capabilities (though apparently the Wifi card was downgraded for some units due to shortages and has slower max speed). I am a Roon user and my base use case is to stream Roon to a Wifi point —> Ethernet cable—> Sonore MicroRendu —> USB into my existing DACs (I also have an IFI micro iDSD signature that uses a Burr Brown chip). The X could potentially replace the D90SE and also cut the MicroRendu and cables out of the signal path- ie direct stream via Wifi into the X as a Roon endpoint. (My Roon core is a 2014 dedicated MacBook Air hardwired to my network in another part of the house separate from the listening room- the listening room does not have hardwired Ethernet access).

Thoughts? Given all that would the X be a worthy upgrade to the D90SE?

Sep 25, 2022 at 3:33 AM Post #195 of 214
This is exactly on point for me. I have D90SE but the OG Element X has appeal for the superior (?) quality of the DAC and direct streaming capabilities (though apparently the Wifi card was downgraded for some units due to shortages and has slower max speed). I am a Roon user and my base use case is to stream Roon to a Wifi point —> Ethernet cable—> Sonore MicroRendu —> USB into my existing DACs (I also have an IFI micro iDSD signature that uses a Burr Brown chip). The X could potentially replace the D90SE and also cut the MicroRendu and cables out of the signal path- ie direct stream via Wifi into the X as a Roon endpoint. (My Roon core is a 2014 dedicated MacBook Air hardwired to my network in another part of the house separate from the listening room- the listening room does not have hardwired Ethernet access).

Thoughts? Given all that would the X be a worthy upgrade to the D90SE?
Element X 2.0 should be upgrade, but i doubt original is better than D90SE...
To buy dac now would absolute mistake since new Flaship chips from AKM and Sabre are released and manufacturers are surely working on those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back