Matrix Audio Element Series Thread
Sep 25, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #196 of 214
Element X 2.0 should be upgrade, but i doubt original is better than D90SE...
To buy dac now would absolute mistake since new Flaship chips from AKM and Sabre are released and manufacturers are surely working on those.

Respectfully disagree. There's always a new DAC chip around the corner. We need to stop thinking about audio devices the way we think about video cards. A DAC chip is not a GPU, where each generation has clearly defined performance increases. The general implementation of the chip, plus power supply, output stage, clocking system, jitter/noise reduction, etc are all at least as important, if not more so, than the bare DAC chip itself.

Implementation is key. Name just about any DAC in existence, from modern ESS to ancient Philips, and we can almost certainly find examples of devices using that same DAC chip but sounding wildly different from one another.

Sep 25, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #197 of 214
Respectfully disagree. There's always a new DAC chip around the corner. We need to stop thinking about audio devices the way we think about video cards. A DAC chip is not a GPU, where each generation has clearly defined performance increases. The general implementation of the chip, plus power supply, output stage, clocking system, jitter/noise reduction, etc are all at least as important, if not more so, than the bare DAC chip itself.

Implementation is key. Name just about any DAC in existence, from modern ESS to ancient Philips, and we can almost certainly find examples of devices using that same DAC chip but sounding wildly different from one another.
Yes, but why buy now when he have Pretty good dac? Unless 1 have unlimited money.
These new chips took a long time to come out so why rush?

Sep 25, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #198 of 214
Yes, but why buy now when he have Pretty good dac? Unless 1 have unlimited money.
These new chips took a long time to come out so why rush?
Hi - just to clarify, I bought the D90SE from Headphones.com in the US new, so have 365 days to try it out before I decide to keep it. So in this year I could either a) buy a used (or if I find a good deal, ie classifieds or open box) Matrix Element X OG and return the D90SE or b) wait to see what comes out over this next year re the next gen DAC with a better AKM/ESS chip, at which time I could (in a similar way) buy that one to audition and return whichever I like least. "A" would require me to be 'ready to buy' when the great deal is identified - I just need to decide if the X is enough better than D90Se to warrant the upgrade. For "B" I can bide my time and see what happens. (Aside, there is also C- decide to keep D90SE and do something totally other i.e. possibly add an R2R DAC for a different effect eg. Deanfrips Ares II).

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #200 of 214
That's a pretty crazy policy from headphones com
this is how I use it. Roon endpoint connected to a couple of headphone amps :
  • Balanced : Burson Soloist
  • Unbalanced : MicroZotl 2

Works like a charm, even in Wifi. Never had an issue with it, it sounds spectacular.
Honestly I don't understand what more the X2 is offering other than a nice display.
DAC chip and performance is the same. Headphone amp seems to be less powerful, at least for 300ohms headphones.
Maybe I am missing something ...
@jlemaster1957 , if you find a good offer for the original X I would definitely go for it

1663844858670.png
I'm considering a purchase of the Matrix Element X2...I was under the impression that it was more a powerful headphone amp than the original, but you mention the opposite? Can you elaborate. The X2 seems like a great unit, but not much info or discussion on it.

Nov 6, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #201 of 214
https://www.moon-audio.com/matrix-a...2Pj1PA4110tSJkzhC05s1Vs1VdYEb4ERoCgdwQAvD_BwE

You can see the output comparisons on the spec chart there. For low impedance headphones the X2 is significantly more powerful. But it is also slightly less powerful with higher impedance loads. Might be a fair trade for most people though, considering the number of 300+ Ohm headphones is very small these days.

Edit to add: if using an external amp, I don't see much compelling reason to go with the newer model. Then again the all-in-one aspect is sort of the main draw on these models so... Using the Matrix X-Sabre 3 might be the better choice in that case.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #202 of 214
https://www.moon-audio.com/matrix-a...2Pj1PA4110tSJkzhC05s1Vs1VdYEb4ERoCgdwQAvD_BwE

You can see the output comparisons on the spec chart there. For low impedance headphones the X2 is significantly more powerful. But it is also slightly less powerful with higher impedance loads. Might be a fair trade for most people though, considering the number of 300+ Ohm headphones is very small these days.

Edit to add: if using an external amp, I don't see much compelling reason to go with the newer model. Then again the all-in-one aspect is sort of the main draw on these models so... Using the Matrix X-Sabre 3 might be the better choice in that case.
Thanks, that is helpful. So far, I only have low impedance headphones. Yes, the all-in-one is compelling. I'm re-building from scratch so I like the idea of one unit that can serve as both streamer, DAC and headphones amp to start, with the ability to add additional amp(s) in the future.

Nov 7, 2022 at 6:50 AM Post #203 of 214
Thanks, that is helpful. So far, I only have low impedance headphones. Yes, the all-in-one is compelling. I'm re-building from scratch so I like the idea of one unit that can serve as both streamer, DAC and headphones amp to start, with the ability to add additional amp(s) in the future.
Hi, Sorry I have missed your first message but I see that was replied already.
lately I have purchased a new low impedance headphone (Denon 9200) and the matrix element x (V1) can drive that with no issues, power is more than enough. Same goes with Focal Clear. However, I still think the Burson produce a much better sound than the Matrix internal amp with more body and better dynamics.

Feb 18, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #204 of 214
Amir at ASR just wrote up the Element X2. The more powerful headphone out drives the Stealth with authority. I have had the same experience with the Expanse via the 4.4 output on the X2. I was about to buy a powerful amp, but this is doing the trick.

Measurements were great. The Element X had slightly less noise and distortion by tiny numbers. The X2 performed not so well only via the aux-in as a preamp. Not a feature I use.

Feb 19, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #205 of 214

I do this too. Have a topping A90 when needed and I couldn’t imagine upgrading. I still kind of want the benchmark amp but mainly to say I have one. Similar to a McIntosh amp, they are nice to look at.

Apr 18, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #206 of 214
Apr 18, 2023 at 11:51 PM Post #207 of 214
The new Matrix element S Music Streamer looks very promising. With USB, S/PDIF and IIS outputs, could this be the versatile high-quality streamer I've been looking for (as an upgrade to the Bluesound Node 2i)? It's not even up on the Matrix website yet, but here it is at Apos (I have no connection to Apos or any retailer).
https://apos.audio/collections/brand-spotlight-matrix/products/matrix-element-s-streamer

I'll have a review unit here soon to check out. Excited to hear that Matrix finally offers a dedicated transport-only device - I've been asking them to build such a thing for many years.

Not that I don't love their DACs and multi-function devices... they usually do a great job. But it will be nice to have a dedicated transport for use with my top-tier DACs.

Apr 21, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #208 of 214
I'll have a review unit here soon to check out. Excited to hear that Matrix finally offers a dedicated transport-only device - I've been asking them to build such a thing for many years.

Not that I don't love their DACs and multi-function devices... they usually do a great job. But it will be nice to have a dedicated transport for use with my top-tier DACs.
Looking forward to your thoughts, as I’ve looked at it as well! A quick question, most likely pertaining to most transports: using a pc as a source, is it possible to pass though the pc audio for movies/videos? My existing chain is a pc to the matrix spdif x2 out to my dac. I can listen to tidal masters, or watch shows whenever. I was told that transports don’t pass through pc audio which would throw a wrench in this structure. Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Apr 22, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #209 of 214
I would assume you could operate the new Element S in a similar way, but I'm not positive. After all, it basically takes an Element series device, swaps out the DAC and headphone stage, keeps the streamer and PSU, then adds what is essentially an X-SPDIF 3 into the case. So you'd use the Element S as transport for music but then would switch to PC as USB source when you want to use it that way. Makes sense to me but I could be wrong.

Maybe shoot a message to your local dealer or to Matrix themselves, see what they think.

Apr 22, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #210 of 214
It has the MA App. So you'll use the app to access your streaming subscriptions like Tidal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back