Matrix Audio Element Series Thread
Jan 28, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #107 of 214
I’ve own the Element M

They just updated the app a day or two ago.
I’ve been using mine with Tidal for the last 6 months with no issues.

Yes, the iOS app is buggy but I think they’ve cleaned it up a bit further with this update.

I used it with Roon for the trial period and it worked smoothly.
Way better than the MA (matrix app).

The amp inside the Matrix M sounds pretty good too.
It’s on the warmer side but I’ve been mostly using it connected to my tube amp.

Haven’t tried tried using the native storage side of the app though.

Jan 28, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #108 of 214
I’ve own the Element M

Yes, the iOS app is buggy but I think they’ve cleaned it up a bit further with this update.

Hi, I upgraded today and since then I’m not able to play any playlist/album in Tidal. I don’t use Roon but MA remote. Do you have a chance to test if you have any issue with MA remote when playing tidal album? Thanks in advance!
Edit: when I play an album, it stops after the 1st or 2nd song

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #109 of 214
Yes I’m super unhappy - with the new firmware I can’t even play continuously, it stops with the first song and skip the rest
That's something to worry about, though. I've been reading the thread over at ASR, and support for the Element X appears to be fleeting, if any. As a wired DAC/amp, it has no issues (that I know of), but the wireless and streaming modes appear to be satisfactory at best, and flaky at its worst.

Ideally, I'd like to utilize the wireless mode of the Element X; if I'm going to be sticking to a wired-only state, the X-Sabre Pro MQA appears to be a cheaper, but equally well-performing solution.

Jan 28, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #110 of 214
I’ve own the Element M

Using Roon is an option that I've considered; if this function works as intended, the Element X does fit the bill.

Ideally though, I'd like to use an app to control an attached hard disk or Micro SD card. Can the MA app do this?

Either way, the primary objective (of purchasing the Element X) is to free the DAC from being tethered to my PC.

Thanks!

Jan 28, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #111 of 214
That's something to worry about, though. I've been reading the thread over at ASR, and support for the Element X appears to be fleeting, if any. As a wired DAC/amp, it has no issues (that I know of), but the wireless and streaming modes appear to be satisfactory at best, and flaky at its worst.

Ideally, I'd like to utilize the wireless mode of the Element X; if I'm going to be sticking to a wired-only state, the X-Sabre Pro MQA appears to be a cheaper, but equally well-performing solution.

I read on ASR that they put a wrong WIFI network card in X/M, which only supports 802.11N instead of 802.11AC as advertised. My element M certainly comes with the wrong WIFI card so I have to use ethernet. I think it's a fine streamer with Roon, but not with MA remote, it's full of bugs.

Jan 28, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #112 of 214
Using Roon is an option that I've considered; if this function works as intended, the Element X does fit the bill.

Ideally though, I'd like to use an app to control an attached hard disk or Micro SD card. Can the MA app do this?

Either way, the primary objective (of purchasing the Element X) is to free the DAC from being tethered to my PC.

Thanks!
It supports local HDD/Micro SD card, I saw some users reporting some issues but my primary use is Tidal and no experience with local music.

Jan 28, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #113 of 214
I read on ASR that they put a wrong WIFI network card in X/M, which only supports 802.11N instead of 802.11AC as advertised. My element M certainly comes with the wrong WIFI card so I have to use ethernet. I think it's a fine streamer with Roon, but not with MA remote, it's full of bugs.
Yeah, that was one of the issues that I am concerned with - apparently, the company ordered the wrong wireless cards, resulting in a downgrade in overall bandwidth performance. In itself, that is a disappointing development; however, rather than fix this issue, the poorer-functioning wireless card still remains in all of its future builds. To compound things further, the price of the device has increased from $2,999 to $3,419!

1611868733491.png

This is not a cheap device by any means, so I want to make sure that any (major) bugs are thoroughly ironed out before I take the plunge.

Jan 28, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #114 of 214
It supports local HDD/Micro SD card, I saw some users reporting some issues but my primary use is Tidal and no experience with local music.
I am the other way around - all of my music is stored locally. For streaming services, I use Spotify occasionally.

Jan 28, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #115 of 214
Yeah, that was one of the issues that I am concerned with - apparently, the company ordered the wrong wireless cards, resulting in a downgrade in overall bandwidth performance. In itself, that is a disappointing development; however, rather than fix this issue, the poorer-functioning wireless card still remains in all of its future builds. To compound things further, the price of the device has increased from $2,999 to $3,419!

1611868733491.png

This is not a cheap device by any means, so I want to make sure that any (major) bugs are thoroughly ironed out before I take the plunge.
I didn't know they increased the price, interesting! The problem that worries me (and many potential buyers) is that after they realised they put in a wrong wireless card, they didn't communicate anything official but silently changed the spec on their website from AC to N.
Edit: BTW the wired connection is only 100Mbps so not even as fast as N. You'd better off with a RPI + DAC (you can get similar quality DAC for 1/3 price)

Jan 28, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #117 of 214
Hi, I upgraded today and since then I’m not able to play any playlist/album in Tidal. I don’t use Roon but MA remote. Do you have a chance to test if you have any issue with MA remote when playing tidal album? Thanks in advance!
Edit: when I play an album, it stops after the 1st or 2nd song

If I play an entire album from start to finish or a playlist it plays the albums continuously.
This is what I normally do.

The issue is not being able to jump around songs in random order because it stops and you have to manually select the next songs.

Also a bigger issue is you cant fast forward or rewind the songs....

This isn’t an issue with Roon at all

Thanks!

Since I don’t have any local files, here’s a snapshot of the USB/Memory card option to control through the app
2417D533-7F59-447B-853B-6A28B2C5FB7C.png

Using Roon with the Matrix works very well and let’s you focus on just the Roon app itself.

Jan 28, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #118 of 214
I didn't know they increased the price, interesting! The problem that worries me (and many potential buyers) is that after they realised they put in a wrong wireless card, they didn't communicate anything official but silently changed the spec on their website from AC to N.
Edit: BTW the wired connection is only 100Mbps so not even as fast as N. You'd better off with a RPI + DAC (you can get similar quality DAC for 1/3 price)
Yes, their silence on this particular issue is deafening, to say the least. Earlier, I was convinced that I'd get the Element X, but I'm not so certain at this juncture. Aftersales support is an important component of the decision-making process pertinent to my purchases. In this sense, their lack of communication is unforgiveable, sadly.

Jan 28, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #119 of 214
Flawless over wifi as a roon client for me.
Thanks, that's good to know. I don't use Roon at the moment, but I'm willing to try if my next DAC is "Roon ready".

Since I don’t have any local files, here’s a snapshot of the USB/Memory card option to control through the app
2417D533-7F59-447B-853B-6A28B2C5FB7C.png

Using Roon with the Matrix works very well and let’s you focus on just the Roon app itself.
Thanks! It's comforting to know that this particular feature is working as intended - it's probably more of an accolade on Roon's part than on Matrix Audio's though, I suspect.

Jan 28, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #120 of 214
Seems like there's not a lot of chatter about this DAC/amp/streamer. It looks like a fantastic all-in-one device.

I am looking for a high-end DAC to replace my Gungnir Multibit, and the Element X, the Yggdrasil, and the Chord Hugo TT2 are amongst the contenders. I have heard, and enjoy the latter 2, but not the Matrix Audio product; I will be trying them out soon, though.

Nevertheless, the packed feature sheet of the Element X is quite impressive. Has anyone had any issues using the Element X as a pure streamer (e.g. with an attached hard disk or Micro SD card)? Ideally, I'd like to keep the Element X away from my PC, which is very noisy at the worst of times. Thanks!

I use my element X exclusively with Roon, my personal experience is that it works flawlessly with Roon.

I have heard issues with some users using the X with the MA app, stream from NAS or SD card, etc., I cannot comment since I do not use my X that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back