Matrix Audio Element Series Thread
Feb 8, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #31 of 214
When you say much more complete than the matrix are you talking about the TT2 or Dave and what do you mean? I was also considering the chord line up but the features of the element x seemed much more comprehensive than anything in the chord line up. Not saying chord doesn’t make good products because I love the mojo, I just felt like bang for the buck the element x won hands down.

Feb 8, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #32 of 214
When you say much more complete than the matrix are you talking about the TT2 or Dave and what do you mean? I was also considering the chord line up but the features of the element x seemed much more comprehensive than anything in the chord line up. Not saying chord doesn’t make good products because I love the mojo, I just felt like bang for the buck the element x won hands down.

Bang for buck it is great value, just as long as you want it flavour of bang. The streamer is top notch, the DAC is s detail monster and the amp stage is adequate. Sadly based on what i was looking for the value fell away when the DAC didnt live up to my hopes. When i say the TT2 is more complete i was referring to the presentation/ sound quality of the DAC. Its very hard to pick any weaknesses on that front, highly resolving, dynamic, tonally right (subject IMO) and effortlessly organic sounding. The Elements DAC for me was a bit of a 1 or 2 trick pony. The TT2 also has awesome not just adequate amp stage, so although the unit itself if more expensive, for the me value is better because everything it does is does without compromise. Just wish it had a streamer!

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #34 of 214
Bang for buck it is great value, just as long as you want it flavour of bang. The streamer is top notch, the DAC is s detail monster and the amp stage is adequate. Sadly based on what i was looking for the value fell away when the DAC didnt live up to my hopes. When i say the TT2 is more complete i was referring to the presentation/ sound quality of the DAC. Its very hard to pick any weaknesses on that front, highly resolving, dynamic, tonally right (subject IMO) and effortlessly organic sounding. The Elements DAC for me was a bit of a 1 or 2 trick pony. The TT2 also has awesome not just adequate amp stage, so although the unit itself if more expensive, for the me value is better because everything it does is does without compromise. Just wish it had a streamer!
What do you mean 1 or 2 trick pony?

Mar 20, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #35 of 214
In the crazy uncertain times I figured I would potentially have a lot more time on my hands. I pulled the trigger on a Matrix Audio Element M a week ago. Today after a lot of rearranging, getting stuck at depots etc it finally arrived. I haven't set it up properly yet but what a piece of kit! Absolutely solid and surprising weight to it considering its diminutive size. Hoarded an absolute ton of High Res music and new albums from The Weekend, Pearl Jam and Four Tet to demo this evening. Can't bloody wait!

Mar 20, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #36 of 214
I don't think you will be disappointed. I still love mine. I unfortunately don't use it for headphones much these days since I am using it as a preamp until my active speakers are roon ready.

Mar 20, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #37 of 214
I don't think you will be disappointed. I still love mine. I unfortunately don't use it for headphones much these days since I am using it as a preamp until my active speakers are roon ready.

So we are due to have a home extension built (we shall see with all this economic collapse) and the plan was to use the Element M as a bedroom system too. Was considering Genelecs as I love them in my studio but as nearfields they probably aren't the best option. The Elac Navis look nice and also the Buchardt active S400s. What did you go for? Also, am I correct in presuming once headphones are plugged in the signal to the preamp section is cut?

Mar 20, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #38 of 214
So we are due to have a home extension built (we shall see with all this economic collapse) and the plan was to use the Element M as a bedroom system too. Was considering Genelecs as I love them in my studio but as nearfields they probably aren't the best option. The Elac Navis look nice and also the Buchardt active S400s. What did you go for? Also, am I correct in presuming once headphones are plugged in the signal to the preamp section is cut?

I am using it with Dutch and Dutch 8cs and love them. I have a friend who is a Kii Three dealer and can probably get you a deal if interested. Yes I usually just switch inputs, have never looked into doing both headphones and preamp section at the same time.

Mar 20, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #39 of 214
I am using it with Dutch and Dutch 8cs and love them. I have a friend who is a Kii Three dealer and can probably get you a deal if interested. Yes I usually just switch inputs, have never looked into doing both headphones and preamp section at the same time.

Yes very interested thanks. Will be in touch should the world not go completely to pot :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Will check out the Dutch and Dutch actives too. I turned 40 this year and was considering a pair of Dynaudio Special 40s. Need a suitable PA though if I went that route right?

Mar 20, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #40 of 214
Looks like you would need a preamp and amp for those although I'm not very familiar. I chose the 8cs because they will be roon ready some day, I hear the new ones are shipping with the roon firmware in place that is uncertified but very functional.

Apr 15, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #41 of 214
Looks like you would need a preamp and amp for those although I'm not very familiar. I chose the 8cs because they will be roon ready some day, I hear the new ones are shipping with the roon firmware in place that is uncertified but very functional.
How was the Bartok compared?
Cheers Tom

Apr 15, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #42 of 214
How was the Bartok compared?
Cheers Tom

I thought the Bartok was a very nice piece of equipment. Had all of the bells and whistles one could every ask for and couldn't imagine there would be a better DAC/AMP combo in one box. I believe it was better than what I currently listen to but it isn't even in the same ball park as far a price. Is it worth the extra $12,000 above what I spent, not for me. I think the law of diminishing returns is very much a real thing in this hobby. I suppose if cost were no object I would have a Bartok but that is not my situation. I also heard the Bartok with Sasha DAWs and that was an experience. I still think the device you listen to whether that is speakers or headphones is still the most important piece of the system and this is generally where I spend the majority of my money.

May 24, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #45 of 214
Thanks a lot for replying! I am in the same boat, I almost pulled the plug on a Bartok but I think it will be an Element X and spend the surplus on a nice pair of headphones instead.

This is what I ultimately did. Also as of last week I updated the firmware and the element X no longer says "uncertified" in Roon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back