Master Clock Talk
Jan 23, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #796 of 3,372
There is no silver bullet. As long as there are Flat Earth 2.0 people who argue that sine wave clocks are better (this goes against over 40 years of pro audio) blah, blah, blah there is no answer that everybody will accept. In the end your ears, psychology, budget, gear you already have or plan to buy, and level of tolerance for B.S. are gonna all factor in.
Indeed no silver bullet. And maybe also enough exceptions to not always discount sine wavers as Flat Earthers? For example, the manual for my SDA-6 PRO DAC states that it should be fed a sine wave when used with USB, and square wave with the other inputs (sans I2S). Actually they say Vpp and TTL respectively.

Jan 23, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #797 of 3,372
I don't find that compelling at all. Rather, all the hoopla detracts from the value of these threads. Thankfully, the ignore feature works well.

Jan 23, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #798 of 3,372
I just received the ock2 clock.

So for connecting to the ddc should I use sine or square wave?

And does the dac use sine or square?

Also is there any particular way to remove the cover, it seems to be glued or something on one side. NM (I'm an idiot, they put tape over the allen head.)

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 9:08 PM Post #799 of 3,372
I've been on the hunt for a quality BNC Cable to run with my LHY-OCK2 into the Gustard R26 feeding the Ferrum OOR / Hypsos & Susvaras. Up until today I've be using the Huber+Suhner enviroflex 400 cable silver coated stranded BNC Cable. The sonic presentation has good instrument texture, great attack on stringed instruments with plenty of detail / micro-detail but overall thin sound signature. Bass has amazing definition but no body, that is until today.

Build quality is outstanding. This thing is built like a tank with high quality parts. it's diameter dwarfs my previous cable. At a 12 inch length I did have to shape the cable a bit but there's plenty of flex to do so easily

Straight out of the box with no burn-in, sonic magic.

Pasternak BNC Male to BNC Male Low Loss Cable 12 Inch Length Using LMR-400 Coax With Times Microwave Parts SKU: PE3C6725-12

Find Here: shorturl.at/azBW2
$85.58 w/tax + shipping

I haven't added something to my chain with this degree of perceivable sonic improvement in a long time. I hate to overuse hifi terms but the sonic presentation now has body, weight, warmth, syrupy sound which the Susvaras aren't typically known for. Background blackness has increased as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0427.jpeg
    IMG_0427.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0430.jpeg
    IMG_0430.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0432.jpeg
    IMG_0432.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 11:32 PM Post #800 of 3,372
If it helps, I have two master clocks and run the better one right at the DDC/DAC (i.e. end of the downstream chain).
Thanks. I asked because I was a naughty and acquired a pair of Audience AU24SX BNCs. This is an upgrade from the Studio Ones.

The verdict after testing and thinking on it: Better to have a well-timed best wire than a perfectly-timed better wire.

I'm rocking Studio One at the clock for Gustard U18 and Silent Angel N8 ProCLK and AU24SX from HMS to TT2.

I've been on the hunt for a quality BNC Cable to run with my LHY-OCK2 into the Gustard R26 feeding the Ferrum OOR / Hypsos & Susvaras. Up until today I've be using the Huber+Suhner enviroflex 400 cable silver coated stranded BNC Cable. The sonic presentation has good instrument texture, great attack on stringed instruments with plenty of detail / micro-detail but overall thin sound signature. Bass has amazing definition but no body, that is until today.

Build quality is outstanding. This thing is built like a tank with high quality parts. it's diameter dwarfs my previous cable. At a 12 inch length I did have to shape the cable a bit but there's plenty of flex to do so easily

Straight out of the box with no burn-in, sonic magic.

I haven't added something to my chain with this degree of perceivable sonic improvement in a long time. I hate to overuse hifi terms but the sonic presentation now has body, weight, warmth, syrupy sound which the Susvaras aren't typically known for. Background blackness has increased as well.
Dude. I'm getting LMR400-curious. Over the last 20 pages, everyone who's come into contact with one is having a religious experience. I need to get a couple and see how they compares to Studio One.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 11:42 PM Post #801 of 3,372
Thanks. I asked because I was a naughty and acquired a pair of Audience AU24SX BNCs. This is an upgrade from the Studio Ones.

The verdict after testing and thinking on it: Better to have a well-timed best wire than a perfectly-timed better wire.

I'm rocking Studio One at the clock for Gustard U18 and Silent Angel N8 ProCLK and AU24SX from HMS to TT2.

Dude. I'm getting LMR400-curious. Over the last 20 pages, everyone who's come into contact with one is having a religious experience. I need to get a couple and see how they compares to Studio One.
I think that pasternak cable is pretty much the same as this cable.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...00028423339889!sea&curPageLogUid=lH8AiX8WUh4E

I have my clock connected to my audio-gd di20 with this cable. I can't really comment on the sound since I haven't tested or heard any other cable but the clock is sounding really good.

There is big increase in separation its really excellent. It seems like the leading and trailing edge of notes are a bit quicker giving a sense of better separation. Overall it sounds more resolving, more stage and microdetails shine through. The separation though is really where biggest difference seems to be, I think this is contributing to the other improved aspects.

Can't wait to see how it sounds with the oyaide bnc cable connected to the dac.

Jan 24, 2023 at 12:05 AM Post #802 of 3,372
I think that pasternak cable is pretty much the same as this cable.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804033912799.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.1.fb8a42deBzCgaJ&algo_pvid=6f670166-1e90-4c4f-a50c-4fed73c737b7&algo_exp_id=6f670166-1e90-4c4f-a50c-4fed73c737b7-0&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id":"12000028423339889"}&pdp_npi=2@dis!USD!26.0!14.3!!!!!@2102160416745350085326937d06cd!12000028423339889!sea&curPageLogUid=lH8AiX8WUh4E

I have my clock connected to my audio-gd di20 with this cable. I can't really comment on the sound since I haven't tested or heard any other cable but the clock is sounding really good.

There is big increase in separation its really excellent. It seems like the leading and trailing edge of notes are a bit quicker giving a sense of better separation. Overall it sounds more resolving, more stage and microdetails shine through. The separation though is really where biggest difference seems to be, I think this is contributing to the other improved aspects.

Can't wait to see how it sounds with the oyaide bnc cable connected to the dac.
It's so ridiculously cheap, it's hard not to be skeptical of its efficacy.

Anyone tried both LMR400 vs LMR400UF, the ultraflexible version. Wondering if it would provide the same religious experience. I despise fighting overly stiff wire—its a personal hangup.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2023 at 12:40 AM Post #803 of 3,372

Standard coaxial cable is already built to high standards to meet the needs of industry.

At least that is my theory.

Unlike standard power cables etc.

Jan 24, 2023 at 12:59 AM Post #804 of 3,372
Standard coaxial cable is already built to high standards to meet the needs of industry.

I'm new to external clocks and have nothing else running via coax so this BNC connection has introduced me to what appears to be quite a few variations of coaxial. I don't know if coaxial has an industry standard to predict quality. If it's anything like other hifi cables then it could vary wildly. I'm by no means a teacher on the subject...still very much a student.

Jan 24, 2023 at 12:59 AM Post #805 of 3,372

I think your theory is more than reasonable.

I mean it requires a minimum level of capacitance. These are very detailed specs, not like ethernet, power, interconnect cables.

Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 00-56-05 213 vs LMR400 Allied University.png
Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 00-55-54 213 vs LMR400 Allied University.png
Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 00-55-34 213 vs LMR400 Allied University.png

Jan 24, 2023 at 1:03 AM Post #806 of 3,372

Anyone tried both LMR400 vs LMR400UF, the ultraflexible version. Wondering if it would provide the same religious experience. I despise fighting overly stiff wire—its a personal hangup.
This is what I found in my research, great article on LMR-400 and it's variants.

"LMR UltraFlex is a close runner up in terms of popularity. This cable was created to offer easier flexing abilities for repeated or periodic flexures. On the whole, it is an easier cable to work with when routing the cable.

The LMR Ultraflex cable achieves better flexing abilities by employing a stranded centre conductor and a rubber (TPE) outer jacket.

Better Flexing Abilities come at a cost of 15% higher attenuation than the LMR-400 however!

It is worth noting, should you choose the LMR-UF as your preferred option, you can only use ‘TC’ style connectors with the cable – as ‘EZ’ connectors are not recommended for use with the LMR-400-UF stranded centre conductor."

Article: https://www.mcgillmicrowave.com/lmr-400-variant/

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2023 at 1:10 AM Post #807 of 3,372
This is what I found in my research, great article on LMR-400 and it's variants.

"LMR UltraFlex is a close runner up in terms of popularity. This cable was created to offer easier flexing abilities for repeated or periodic flexures. On the whole, it is an easier cable to work with when routing the cable.

The LMR Ultraflex cable achieves better flexing abilities by employing a stranded centre conductor and a rubber (TPE) outer jacket.

Better Flexing Abilities come at a cost of 15% higher attenuation than the LMR-400 however!

It is worth noting, should you choose the LMR-UF as your preferred option, you can only use ‘TC’ style connectors with the cable – as ‘EZ’ connectors are not recommended for use with the LMR-400-UF stranded centre conductor."

Article: https://www.mcgillmicrowave.com/lmr-400-variant/
Great info

Jan 24, 2023 at 1:15 AM Post #808 of 3,372
I think your theory is more than reasonable.

I mean it requires a minimum level of capacitance. These are very detailed specs, not like ethernet, power, interconnect cables.

Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 00-56-05 213 vs LMR400 Allied University.pngScreenshot 2023-01-24 at 00-55-54 213 vs LMR400 Allied University.pngScreenshot 2023-01-24 at 00-55-34 213 vs LMR400 Allied University.png
Its a bit unusual with the lmr400 being the higher level cable, it uses copper clad aluminum which is inferior to pure copper in terms of audio.

I suspect this spec is specifically in regards to achieving a higher max voltage rating which doesn't really apply to us for audio equipment.

Jan 24, 2023 at 2:05 AM Post #809 of 3,372
I just received the ock2 clock.

So for connecting to the ddc should I use sine or square wave?

And does the dac use sine or square?

Also is there any particular way to remove the cover, it seems to be glued or something on one side. NM (I'm an idiot, they put tape over the allen head.)

http://audio-gd.com/R2R/R8mk2/R8mk2EN.htm

"
Please note:
If user want the R8 MK2 work with the external clock input , can update the firmware , the IN2 BNC input become the external 10MHz input. Download the R-8 EC firmware in the below link.The Extermal clock must be 10MHz, 75 ohm, 1-3Vp-p level, recommend the square wave output ,though sine wave also can work."

Jan 24, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #810 of 3,372

This is correct as far as I know. And the other thing is that normal cable deployments are hundreds or thousands of meters (new home, office building, shop etc.) so the price per foot/meter makes the so-called "pigtails" or patch cables surprisingly cheap compared to microphone cabling. AES/EBU cable should be cheaper than it is, I don't have an explanation for that except that volume of RF coax made and sold yearly is so many magnitudes more than digital audio cable.

I should have also said, RF coax is normally used at frequencies which are much, much higher than anything encountered in audio, even digital audio. So there is huge headroom in terms of bandwidth when using RF coax. A lot cables people are talking about here are rated to multiple GHz, 10 MHz clocks don't push them at all.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back