Master Clock Talk
Jan 24, 2023 at 3:16 AM Post #811 of 3,353
As long as there are Flat Earth 2.0 people who argue that sine wave clocks are better
No flat Earth here. I'm just using my ears and think that a sinewave clock works better in my system.

There are also reasons why a sinewave clock may work better: the cable carries one single frequency which is not greatly affected by impedance; squarewaves need to carry all the harmonics that make up the waveform and are susceptible to impedance mismatches. Of course, a sinewave needs very accurate triggering at the receiving end, so there are downsides, too.

Jan 24, 2023 at 4:32 AM Post #812 of 3,353
I just received the ock2 clock.

So for connecting to the ddc should I use sine or square wave?

And does the dac use sine or square?

Also is there any particular way to remove the cover, it seems to be glued or something on one side. NM (I'm an idiot, they put tape over the allen head.)

Im using square on both the DDC/DI20 and DAC/R8. They both have 10Mhz input. Ext clock output is not used on DI20.

I hope its a correct answer

Jan 24, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #813 of 3,353
Im only 4 days in(approx 100hours OCK2, 400hours with DI20/R8 600hours HE9LE) I feel it starts now. AGD system. All the empty spaces in the music is silent, no distractions. Well controlled playback, at a volume level only 28/100(gain 2.)

Its scary beautiful...well Susvara does more than half the job I guess

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #814 of 3,353
http://audio-gd.com/R2R/R8mk2/R8mk2EN.htm

"
Please note:
If user want the R8 MK2 work with the external clock input , can update the firmware , the IN2 BNC input become the external 10MHz input. Download the R-8 EC firmware in the below link.The Extermal clock must be 10MHz, 75 ohm, 1-3Vp-p level, recommend the square wave output ,though sine wave also can work."
Ok so I just want to confirm, square wave on the R8EC and square wave on the DI20he?

I have the 50ohm version of the Di20. Is there any ideal setting for the ISO / Ground dip switches?

Jan 24, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #815 of 3,353
Thanks. I asked because I was a naughty and acquired a pair of Audience AU24SX BNCs. This is an upgrade from the Studio Ones.

The verdict after testing and thinking on it: Better to have a well-timed best wire than a perfectly-timed better wire.

I'm rocking Studio One at the clock for Gustard U18 and Silent Angel N8 ProCLK and AU24SX from HMS to TT2.

Dude. I'm getting LMR400-curious. Over the last 20 pages, everyone who's come into contact with one is having a religious experience. I need to get a couple and see how they compares to Studio One.
Count me as another LMR-400 happy camper. Can't go wrong with them and they're not stupid expensive.

Jan 24, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #816 of 3,353
Ok so I just want to confirm, square wave on the R8EC and square wave on the DI20he?

Kingwa recommends square wave in the one place I saw any discussion and this is completely unsurprising. But, there is no mention about waveform on the DI-20/HE pages so if you want to know, you could send him an email.

Edited: I remember that @FredA or one of the other guys said that Kingwa uses the REF10 as his clock. If so, it's square wave all the way. Pro audio gear doesn't have any option to do non-standard stuff...

I have the 50ohm version of the Di20. Is there any ideal setting for the ISO / Ground dip switches?

Are you talking about the DI-20/HE? I am not aware there are any DIP switches for that. If you're asking about the OCK clocks, I don't have one. Same suggestion, probably best to email Alvin.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #817 of 3,353
Im only 4 days in(approx 100hours OCK2, 400hours with DI20/R8 600hours HE9LE) I feel it starts now. AGD system. All the empty spaces in the music is silent, no distractions. Well controlled playback, at a volume level only 28/100(gain 2.)

Its scary beautiful...well Susvara does more than half the job I guess
I’m on day 4 as well for the OCK2 and I’ve seen improvement with burn-in. As previously mentioned in this thread if you’re running sine wave the cable impacts sonic presentation quite a bit. The LMR400 has made A/B tests between the internal K2 in the R26 and the OCK-2 much more stark.

Jan 24, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #818 of 3,353
Kingwa recommends square wave in the one place I saw any discussion and this is completely unsurprising. But, there is no mention about waveform on the DI-20/HE pages so if you want to know, you could send him an email.

Edited: I remember that @FredA or one of the other guys said that Kingwa uses the REF10 as his clock. If so, it's square wave all the way. Pro audio gear doesn't have any option to do non-standard stuff...

Are you talking about the DI-20/HE? I am not aware there are any DIP switches for that. If you're asking about the OCK clocks, I don't have one. Same suggestion, probably best to email Alvin.
The dip switches inside OCK-2, there are two for every output, one switch for 50/75 and one for ISO/GND.

My OCK-2 is running without caps on unused ports.

I’m on day 4 as well for the OCK2 and I’ve seen improvement with burn-in. As previously mentioned in this thread if you’re running sine wave the cable impacts sonic presentation quite a bit. The LMR400 has made A/B tests between the internal K2 in the R26 and the OCK-2 much more stark.

The sound is very firm and mature, Im still on low volume with Susvara, its like I have more better listening experience on low volume than before. No fatigue in my ear all day.

Jan 24, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #819 of 3,353
The dip switches inside OCK-2, there are two for every output, one switch for 50/75 and one for ISO/GND.

My OCK-2 is running without caps on unused ports.

The sound is very firm and mature, Im still on low volume with Susvara, its like I have more better listening experience on low volume than before. No fatigue in my ear all day.
I’m finding the same with the Susvara. For tracks I would normally be at 12 o’clock I’m finding 10-11 works now. The LMR400 has also helped with better dynamics at lower volumes.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023 at 6:54 AM Post #821 of 3,353
The BG7TBL was my first clock and it wasn't a bad start into the world of better external clocks.

Heh, heh, if you look back to post #1 you will see that I started it :)

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #822 of 3,353
Everyone should now peek at this post at Audiophilestyle, most of you have already seen it for sure: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...ur-etherregen/?do=findComment&comment=1229318
Thanks for sharing that. Interesting read. Regardless of Alex's phase-noise test results of the OCK-1, the clock sure does kick my rig up a notch. And, quite frankly, I think is a great bang for the clock buck. My ears are quite happy with it. No buyers remorse here because of below expected phase-noise tests.
I'm still waiting patiently for his EtherREGEN Gen 2 which maybe be available soon as hinted in the article. Bring it on! :relaxed:

Jan 26, 2023 at 8:18 AM Post #823 of 3,353
There's no doubt even clocks with bad phase noise numbers changes the sound to better/different/interesting, but we must agree the reason is other than the advertised low phase noise.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #824 of 3,353
Yes, that was my Ock-1 that got measured. It was purchased just a month before the Ock-2 release. Perhaps I just wasn’t as lucky as others on this thread and received a unit that didn’t perform as well.

I thought it sounded great! It has been a few months since ive had it in my possession, and my system has drastically changed since it was shipped out. It will be nice to have it back now that ive built an LMR-400 to try with it 😎.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back