Master Clock Talk
Jan 26, 2023 at 9:13 AM Post #826 of 3,353
Yes, that was my Ock-1 that got measured. It was purchased just a month before the Ock-2 release. Perhaps I just wasn’t as lucky as others on this thread and received a unit that didn’t perform as well.

I thought it sounded great! It has been a few months since ive had it in my possession, and my system has drastically changed since it was shipped out. It will be nice to have it back now that ive built an LMR-400 to try with it 😎.
I have the OCK-1 as well. If you don't mind what did it measure at 1Hz and 10Hz?

Interesting they have to measure for 6 hrs to get the plot but are going down to 0.01hz. There is a lot of mystery as to why 10M synthesized clocks sound as well as they do.

Jan 26, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #828 of 3,353
Exactly! I listen to music not measurements or specs! From reading some of that thread on Audiophilestyle it's apparent that the best measuring devices do not necessarily mean they are the best sounding.
I always go back to tube amplifiers. Measure lousy compared to transistor amps but they sound great to the ear. It's more that even order harmonics as noise floor on my amp is about 30dB higher that my other transistor amp.

Jan 26, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #829 of 3,353
Its a nice journey to experience different dacs and setup.

What hit me the most as getting closer to perfection, is how “less” the music really sounds because of all the noise is gone. When distortion/noise is part of the music, it gives the sensation of it sounds of “more” - after a master clock, It takes no effort to listen to the smallest details, even when song fades out Im surprised how low I can hear, and this is even on a low volume session.

For any critical listener: Get the clock!

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #830 of 3,353
Its a nice journey to experience different dacs and setup.

What hit mit the most as getting to perfection, is how “less” the music really sounds because of all the noise is gone. When distortion/noise is part of the music, it gives the sensation of it sounds of “more” - after a master clock, It takes no effort to listen to the smallest details, even when song fades out Im surprised how low I can hear, and this is even on a low volume session.

For any critical listener: Get the clock!
You get it. 😉😉😉

Jan 26, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #831 of 3,353
I have the OCK-1 as well. If you don't mind what did it measure at 1Hz and 10Hz?

Interesting they have to measure for 6 hrs to get the plot but are going down to 0.01hz. There is a lot of mystery as to why 10M synthesized clocks sound as well as they do.
If you check the thread, Alex says he wants the guys at LHY to respond before the measurements are posted. I actually don’t know if they will ever be publicly shared. Id rather let Alex decide if those numbers will go public.

Numbers aside, lets use our ears? I too run a tube amp (Rogue ST-100) and love it. Many of our systems are transparent enough to appreciate the differences introduced by cable changes, fuses, clocks etc. Ultimately I think it makes sense to use our ears and stick with what we like 👍.

This is such an awesome thread.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #832 of 3,353
If you check the thread, Alex says he wants the guys at LHY to respond before the measurements are posted. I actually don’t know if they will ever be publicly shared. Id rather let Alex decide if those numbers will go public.

Numbers aside, lets use our ears? I too run a tube amp (Rogue ST-100) and love it. Many of our systems are transparent enough to appreciate the differences introduced by cable changes, fuses, clocks etc. Ultimately I think it makes sense to use our ears and stick with what we like 👍.

This is such an awesome thread.
I could care less what the numbers says. Best money I spent on my rig in awhile. Brought mine to bud's house for as test drive and now he has one on order. LHY rocks IMHO.

Enjoy the music!

Jan 27, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #833 of 3,353
My LHY OCK-2 is trying to convince me of: LHY SW-10

It really has some great feature, I did buy the OCK2 thinking of more compatible devices for the clock output.

https://www.beatechnik.com/product-page/lhy-sw-10

1. good clock crystal
2. optical sfp
3. clock input and output.

Tempted to save up and try it!

I mean I got 4 outputs left on my OCK-2 :joy: :sweat_smile:

Anybody who already bought it?

Jan 27, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #834 of 3,353

It really has some great feature, I did buy the OCK2 thinking of more compatible devices for the clock output.

1. good clock crystal
2. optical sfp

I'm waiting (im)patiently for the EtherRegen Gen 2 that should be available in the not too distant future. I think it may be a better bang for the buck if Uptone keeps the cost near the original Regen.

I also wonder of what benefit the OCK-2 would be given the SW-10 has the same or similar OCXO as the OCK-2???

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #835 of 3,353
I'm waiting (im)patiently for the EtherRegen Gen 2 that should be available in the not too distant future. I think it may be a better bang for the buck if Uptone keeps the cost near the original Regen.

I also wonder of what benefit the OCK-2 would be given the SW-10 has the same or similar OCXO as the OCK-2???
Thats really interesting. Any rumours of specs and features?

SW-10 has clock output. Thats interesting.

But I intent to use all the outputs I can on my OCK-2. I am looking for PCI card with 10Mhz/75Ohm input also. @dougms3 I know you are looking for one also. I have only seen Linus make a video of one:

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #836 of 3,353
Not much yet but found this over on Audiophilestyle:
the clock synthesizer we used in the first generation EtherREGEN (Silicon Labs/Skyworks Si5340) adds less that 150 femto seconds of total RMS jitter.

And the new brand synths we will use in EtherREGEN Gen2 add dramatically less than that.

And this:
the reason we use a clock synthesizer at all is that the ultra-low jitter, 10GHz-capable differential flip-flops we use—to reclock the data on each side of our active differential isolation “moat”—need a 250MHz clock (for the 100Mbps data across the moat), and will need 1.25GHz in EtherREGEN Gen2 as we are going Gigabit to the ‘B’ side this time.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #837 of 3,353
the clock synthesizer we used in the first generation EtherREGEN (Silicon Labs/Skyworks Si5340) adds less that 150 femto seconds of total RMS jitter.
We know the Gen 1 synthesiser is good as it works so well with an external clock. What is less good is the internal Crystek 575 clock, which despite good numbers never sounds great. I know this not just from the EtherREGEN but also my previous LKS DAC that was held back by the same clock until I had it changed for a Coherent clock.

Jan 27, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #838 of 3,353

1. good clock crystal
2. optical sfp

It makes a big difference.

I bought a Silent Angel N8 Bonn Pro CLK with 10 Mhz input. The difference between its internal TXCO vs clocking it with external OCK-2 is huge.

This SW-10 has its own internal LPS and for the money, it's a good value compared to the others on the market - with the exception of the Uptone Etherregen, but that is no longer sold new, doesn't include external LPS and its form factor and heat output are not ideal.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #839 of 3,353

SW-10 has clock output. Thats interesting.

But I intent to use all the outputs I can on my OCK-2. I am looking for PCI card with 10Mhz/75Ohm input also. @dougms3 I know you are looking for one also. I have only seen Linus make a video of one:

If you find one thats not a ridiculous price lmk.

If connected to the master clock along with the ddc, dac, and sw-10, one can only imagine what that might sound like. May need to wear a mouthguard and diaper before listening because I imagine it will induce an immediate eargasm and cause you to bite your tongue and soil your pants.

Great vid btw. Linus is always so good at explaining things.

Jan 28, 2023 at 8:03 PM Post #840 of 3,353
Hello! I've been reading many posts about adding a master clock and was curious regarding recommendations
I recently purchased Gustard U18 and R26. I have Gustard U18 connected to my imac via USB and the U18 to R26 via HDMI (I2S)

If I get a master clock, do I connect it to BOTH the U18 and the R26 ? (so 2 BNC cables?)

Any thoughts re: LHY OCK-1 or 2 vs the C18 ?
I also read the BNC cable shorter is better, the gustard BNC cable is 1m. Is that considered long? It's also quite a bit more $$ compared the beatechnick bnc cable (gustard is $240 and beatecnick is $79)

Lastly, is there a recommendation for the C18 to use the sine or square connectors to the u18/r26 ? does it make a difference or just personal preference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back