Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Mar 5, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #3,601 of 4,845
LOL I have a Balanced KK-Cable from Amazon, they are inverted compared to stock, the L/R go to the inside instead of outside. When you realize this, you don't have to force them in much and they sound normal. Took me a minute to realize that's why it wasn't going in "normally"

Ha!

The dammed thing has two sides marked as L side. It posibly has the pinnouts wrong also (the original connector has one pin slightly thicker than the other one).

https://www.amazon.es/lovinstar-act...8&qid=1551814874&sr=8-13&keywords=hd650+cable

DON'T EVER BUY THAT crap!

Mar 7, 2019 at 12:34 AM Post #3,602 of 4,845
I got mine today, loving the sound but I've tried loosening the clamp force manually by hand, which has worked to an extent, but it's still a bit too tight for my liking. I'm pretty sensitive to clamp, but I also just want to avoid wearing down the pads prematurely as they're far from cheap. I'm struggling to bend the metal further as it feels like it's going to snap or something, though that might be my own paranoia. I'm employing the technique shown in this video:
though it seems like he can bend his much more effortlessly than I can mine. I wonder if the 58X has thicker metal or something?

update: never mind, I took the pads off, extended the arms to full length and stretched them over some books last night. Now they're just shy of perfection! Much more comfortable. I'll probably do them again tonight and that'll be it.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #3,603 of 4,845
Nice review on headfonia, and i must say although 58x is given a respectable score of 8.5, its still grilled by reviewer by saying it boaring, dry and non engaging etc. My pair is on the way, and I'm wondering how it will compare to my Msr7.

Do you mean Headfonics?

I stopped reading these pompous blowhard reviews.

Yeah, that would be Headfonics, it was never reviewed on HFN

https://headfonics.com/2019/02/massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd-58x-jubilee-review/

Mar 10, 2019 at 5:54 AM Post #3,604 of 4,845
I have a theory on the grain.

I am very sensitive to grain but I find that the 58x + JDS Atom is (almost) grain-free. This could be due to its low distortion? I've used the 58x on other (higher distortion) sources and it's not as smooth as it is with the Atom.

Anyone able to confirm?

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #3,607 of 4,845
I have a theory on the grain.

I am very sensitive to grain but I find that the 58x + JDS Atom is (almost) grain-free. This could be due to its low distortion? I've used the 58x on other (higher distortion) sources and it's not as smooth as it is with the Atom.

Anyone able to confirm?
Tried my HD58X on some decent/good gear and the grain was still there in comparison to HD660S, HD650 and HD600 to me and my friends who heard them.
Gear:
DACs: Bimby, AudioGD Master7, Metrum Musette, MHDT Pagoda, UD501, Mimby
Amps: HA501, Elise, Icon HP-8, DarkStar, V280, MicroZOTL2, Liquid Carbon, Hugo1 and 2, EC ZDS, Jot, Lyr2, Asgard2, Magni3

Mar 10, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #3,608 of 4,845
Tried my HD58X on some decent/good gear and the grain was still there in comparison to HD660S, HD650 and HD600 to me and my friends who heard them.
Gear:
DACs: Bimby, AudioGD Master7, Metrum Musette, MHDT Pagoda, UD501, Mimby
Amps: HA501, Elise, Icon HP-8, DarkStar, V280, MicroZOTL2, Liquid Carbon, Hugo1 and 2, EC ZDS, Jot, Lyr2, Asgard2, Magni3

That is interesting given that Magni3 should be low distortion. There could be sample variability between sets.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #3,609 of 4,845
After I put a foam on the bass port and tweaked my EQ I never had more issues with grain on the 58X and it looks much better

Mar 10, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #3,610 of 4,845
That is interesting given that Magni3 should be low distortion. There could be sample variability between sets.
I've heard 4 different pairs of HD58X and they all pretty much sounded the same and the owners of the other HD58X, also Sennheiser tends to have quite good QC with the HD6 series and higher from what I've experienced over the years.
To me the Magni3 is a better match for the HD6XX since its a very small touch on the bright side IMO after doing some quick comparisons with other amps and why I consider it a better pairing with the HD6XX which is a bit rolled off in the treble. Right now my HD58X is usually connected to my Ember (Telefunken 6922 CCa, output impedance set to low), granted this is overkill but its a pretty nice sounding combo aside from the occasional issue with grain for me.

Mar 12, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #3,613 of 4,845
I haven't heard the grain people are talking about. Even i elevated the highs by Eqing, as i find 58x to be lill veiled sounding.

My pair doesn't have the grain either but the pair I got for my son seems a bit drier/grainy compared to mine and his sister's. Also noticed there seems to be variation to the pads as well. Mine are nice and soft while his seem very stiff. My daughter's seem a bit stiff as well. Have you tried oratory1990's eq for the 58X? It seems to brighten them up a bit and adds some clarity along with separation and soundstage. So far I have been impressed with most of those oratory1990 eq settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back