1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jude, Dec 20, 2017.
First

Back
231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240
242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251
Next

Last
  1. DrKrFfXx
    Ha!

The dammed thing has two sides marked as L side. It posibly has the pinnouts wrong also (the original connector has one pin slightly thicker than the other one).

https://www.amazon.es/lovinstar-act...8&qid=1551814874&sr=8-13&keywords=hd650+cable

DON'T EVER BUY THAT crap!

wje likes this.
  2. HeretixAevum
    I got mine today, loving the sound but I've tried loosening the clamp force manually by hand, which has worked to an extent, but it's still a bit too tight for my liking. I'm pretty sensitive to clamp, but I also just want to avoid wearing down the pads prematurely as they're far from cheap. I'm struggling to bend the metal further as it feels like it's going to snap or something, though that might be my own paranoia. I'm employing the technique shown in this video:
    though it seems like he can bend his much more effortlessly than I can mine. I wonder if the 58X has thicker metal or something?

update: never mind, I took the pads off, extended the arms to full length and stretched them over some books last night. Now they're just shy of perfection! Much more comfortable. I'll probably do them again tonight and that'll be it.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    TheRH likes this.
  3. Ultrainferno
    Yeah, that would be Headfonics, it was never reviewed on HFN

https://headfonics.com/2019/02/massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd-58x-jubilee-review/

4. knalb
    I have a theory on the grain.

I am very sensitive to grain but I find that the 58x + JDS Atom is (almost) grain-free. This could be due to its low distortion? I've used the 58x on other (higher distortion) sources and it's not as smooth as it is with the Atom.

Anyone able to confirm?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  5. shahkhan
  6. Ultrainferno
    No plans for that one, sorry.

7. DavidA
    Tried my HD58X on some decent/good gear and the grain was still there in comparison to HD660S, HD650 and HD600 to me and my friends who heard them.
    Gear:
    DACs: Bimby, AudioGD Master7, Metrum Musette, MHDT Pagoda, UD501, Mimby
    Amps: HA501, Elise, Icon HP-8, DarkStar, V280, MicroZOTL2, Liquid Carbon, Hugo1 and 2, EC ZDS, Jot, Lyr2, Asgard2, Magni3

8. knalb
    That is interesting given that Magni3 should be low distortion. There could be sample variability between sets.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  9. Electrolite
    After I put a foam on the bass port and tweaked my EQ I never had more issues with grain on the 58X and it looks much better

10. DavidA
    I've heard 4 different pairs of HD58X and they all pretty much sounded the same and the owners of the other HD58X, also Sennheiser tends to have quite good QC with the HD6 series and higher from what I've experienced over the years.
    To me the Magni3 is a better match for the HD6XX since its a very small touch on the bright side IMO after doing some quick comparisons with other amps and why I consider it a better pairing with the HD6XX which is a bit rolled off in the treble. Right now my HD58X is usually connected to my Ember (Telefunken 6922 CCa, output impedance set to low), granted this is overkill but its a pretty nice sounding combo aside from the occasional issue with grain for me.

11. shahkhan
    I haven't heard the grain people are talking about. Even i elevated the highs by Eqing, as i find 58x to be lill veiled sounding.

12. VRacer-111
    Just ordered the Yaxi HD650 Alcantara pads since they are now back in stock. Also ordered both versions of the Fostex TH pads (for a custom one I'm modding) and 2 more of the Porta Pro pads... so yeah spent some money on pads just now... LOL

13. Mrcrunch08
    My pair doesn't have the grain either but the pair I got for my son seems a bit drier/grainy compared to mine and his sister's. Also noticed there seems to be variation to the pads as well. Mine are nice and soft while his seem very stiff. My daughter's seem a bit stiff as well. Have you tried oratory1990's eq for the 58X? It seems to brighten them up a bit and adds some clarity along with separation and soundstage. So far I have been impressed with most of those oratory1990 eq settings.

14. knalb
    There is certainly some evidence of variability. We see on diyaudioheaven that solderdude measured a likely extreme outlier.

15. wje
    Not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but Massdrop has increased the price of the HD-58x to $159.99. On my order from Jan 13, 2019, I paid $149.99.

First

Back
231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240
242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251
Next

Last