Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Feb 28, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #3,571 of 4,845
HD59x? Are we talking about the HD58x? If so what is wrong with the dots on the left side? Not only do I find it easier and more convenient since I can figure out the correct orientation without even looking at them I like not having colors on them or having to look around for a tiny L or R. I find those dots to be the quickest solution.

Oops yes it's 58x not 59x. And, what's wrong with the dots? Firstly, I did not know these existed. So, I wasted 10 seconds x 100 days of my life away checking for left right orientation when I could've just rubbed my fingers on the dots. Secondly, what's wrong is I actually now prefer the minimalist way of discovering the correct orientation hence adding to me liking this headphone even more. I will find more to complain about this pair of headphones later.

Feb 28, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #3,572 of 4,845
HD59x? Are we talking about the HD58x? If so what is wrong with the dots on the left side? Not only do I find it easier and more convenient since I can figure out the correct orientation without even looking at them I like not having colors on them or having to look around for a tiny L or R. I find those dots to be the quickest solution.

Yeah I was going to mention the dots--I almost have an OCD thing where I run my left finger against them by pure habit to get the sides right as I put them on; 6XX's, 58X's and PX-100's (V-1, modded version of the latter--they are the most bang-for-the-buck!), all three w/dot indicators.

HiFiMan HE-4XX's I've got to look first.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #3,575 of 4,845
Are you not aware that there are three raised dots on the left earcup yoke next to the HD58X badge?

In fact, all in the HD6 line has them.
The three dots is the letter L in Braille, btw :)

Feb 28, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #3,577 of 4,845
Hey man!

I wasn't talking about the closed LCD-2 (is there even such a thing?). I was talking about the LCD-2 Classics, although I did also listen to the LCD-2 at the same show. While I do agree that they do some things exceptionally well and much better than the 58x, that would not be the first thing one would notice. We're probably describing the same thing here, but from different perspectives. They're just so different that a comparison is kind of invalid. The Audezes sound absolutely stunning and the LCD-X is the best thing I've heard to date. It's just that when you put it all down and directly compare the details of what makes each headphone what it is, I think that they are not that much better than the 58x to the point that if you can own an Audeze the 58x don't need to exist. It's just a very different thing, a different experience, a vastly different way to experience the music. If I had to choose, I'd of course pick the LCD-2, no one denies that they are better. But I could see why someone would prefer the 58x. These headphones do so many things right that they are commendable. I'll go back to my MX-5 VS Mustang example. The little Mazda can't hope to beat the better versions of the Mustang, but it's still a great little car that can provide a lot of fun. Still, a different kind of fun, though, you won't get a roaring V8 in front of you.

Regarding the comment about the rest of the Sennheiser 6 line, I can't comment on that, haven't heard them sadly. But I refuse to believe that it's some sort of night and day difference like that guy implies. The higher models may do some things better, or just differently, but I'm quite sure they're so close that anyone who says "the 600 (or 650) is superior by so much that the 58x is trash" is probably just delusional. Again, they are probably better on some things, and so are the 660s. But the 58x is also better in other areas. I'm sure I wouldn't like the 600 due to the thin sound described by many (due to the lack of sub bass more than anything ) , while I find the sound of the 58x delicious. Audio is a very personal thing and no one's word should be treated as gospel. Everyone has their agenda, no matter how pure their intentions are. If someone's first good headphone was the 600 and they liked them to death, I can see why they would bash the 58x as inferior. I don't agree with that behavior but I'm more than guilty of it. We all have our biases. Let your own ears be the judge of your gear, not someone else's. And most importantly, enjoy the music, not the equipment!!

Hahahah I think I mixed the 1060C. Most of the times I can only post on Headfi before going to bed when I'm already dead after some "fun" in university so by the time I'm writing I'm already half asleep.

I agree, the 58X has some things going for it, the LCD is just darker some people will of course like the 58X better. The LCD is also super bulky and heavy I didn't like it on my head (Focal Elex was so amazing I wanted to sleep using them). So yeah for sure the 58X will shine in some things and there would be reason to keep it over the LCD even. But for me on the specific part of having this big immersive wall of sound and very realistic timbre the LCD was just much better. The car thing makes sense, sometimes you can't just go out on the Mustang, the Mazda is just so versatile maybe it's worh to use the Mazda only...

LCD-2 Closed-Back does exist. This was confusing to me for a while seeing so many references to the Classic as LCD-2c.

I have the HD600 and the original HD580 (which was just an all plastic 600 back then). I've always been quite happy with the Sennheiser line, but would be first to agree that the planar HPs are quite different sound wise and not easy to compare to a dynamic model.

Oh so closed LCD's are real... my half asleep brain didn't fail completely.

This ^...if someone was considering the LCD2C vs the 58X as an 'either/or' decision, that doesn't make much sense to me from a comparison standpoint ($799 vs $149, planar vs dynamic, sound signature, etc.). I'd really hope that the Audeze would be 'better' since it's over 5x the price! :wink:

Might make sense to compare some of Audeze's lower cost options. For instance, I picked up some b-stock, EL8 Opens last year for $229. Those might be a more relevant comparison; or possibly the Sines?

Intitially, I thought EL8s were just ok; somewhat bass light actually. That said, I ended up liking them more when I use them on my iFi Audio setup and engage the Xbass feature. TBH, I really wish I'd gotten the Sines instead given their 'portability' compared to the EL8s.

May have to pick up a pair of 58X's to see how they stack up to some other high-value cans. If they can provide me with the same level of listening enjoyment that my HD650 and 600s have for $149, that's a real win. Based on the overwhelming number of reviews/comments, it sounds like they are one of the best values out there.

Nice, if you ever get the 58X I would love to read some impressions.

It's laughable how that "incisive" comment is very ironically seeking confirmation bias itself when audiophilia is a subjective hobby and it is perfectly fine to hold differing opinions. In fact, non-audiophiles would point and laugh at how ridiculous this entire farce is.

It isn't as if we're comparing the 58X to the HD800S, Utopia, Clear (although there has been a comparison to this which I won't link), etc.
Imo, I would highly question anybody who thinks the HD650 and HD600 play in a different league.

I think a lot of the HD58X backlash just arises from people who aren't pleased with the fact that there's an uppity newcomer in the HD58X which is attracting a lot of attention. Look, the HD6-- line and OG HD580 are wonderful, a brilliant balance of timeless sound and price now that the HD6XX exists, but there's a lot of nitpicking you could do with the faults of all of those headphones, same with the HD58X. So either we can devolve into an argument based on subjectivity or we can move on.

Finally, the LCD2C comparison is difficult due to a different sound sig, different driver tech, different target price bracket. That said, the LCD2C is the superior can if you're looking for easy listening with quality linear bass and romantic mids, but not for pristine clarity at that price (the LCD2C still resolves alright). The upper mids and highs are laidback to me so no harshness at all but there are drawbacks to that.

I agree, it's common people trying to argument based on subjectivity, and trying to prove something or be right based on subjective sound preference.
Of course there's also the side that spreads misinformations like: The 58X and 660S have the same driver.
But on the other hand this guy talks just like the people he is criticising, he is also full of subjective opinions and confirmation bias. This continued for some pages, poor 58X was bashed hard there. I read people with high-end gear that don't have such a negative opinion on the 58X, they actually like it, some say it has less detail but nothing close to this guy. Well at least we can say that he has a lot of passion for his HD600 which I respect...

@Electrolite Thanks for the kind words!

About the hd600 resolving a lot more treble detail against the hd58x.

I found this statement over exagerated and not true for the most part.
The hd600 has a lower treble emphasis with a peak at 3 khz. This gives a sonic cut, immediacy and presence to the sound. The sound is very clear overall. I’ll not call this a defect, but the lower treble it’s not what is supposed to be. Some people love it, some people don’t.

The hd58x is more flat in this sense, and also has more bass. Putting head to head against the hd600, it’s normal hearing a more clear sounds from the hd600.
Insted of a driver limitatation of the 58x, I think it’s a matter of different frequency response why peoples are hearing more detail on the hd600.

Anyway, the 58x bass blows out of the water the hd600 bass. It slams hard without being overdone. Punchy and deep bass is a lot of fun for music listening.

Also, the 58x, I repeat myself here, is more tridimensional and open sounding. HD600 is more closed in and uninvolving.
I guess I can call this a driver limitation of the hd600 for a 1996 design?
To me they are just different flavor and they clearly belongs to the same family of headphones.

The 58x to me, sounds like a blend between the Hd600 and hd25.
It has all the fun of the hd25 in a bigger hd600 package.

At this point the hd600 seems to me the weak chain of the family. Prior the hd58x, the hd600 was the faster and snappier alternative to the hd650. Now, the 58x beats the 600 in her own playlist.
Rock, Metal and elettronica fans will love thw 58x better than the hd600.
Slow paced music will be better suited with the hd650.
This leaves the hd600 in a weak spot. Still a great headphone and I loved my time with it. But It’s time to move on!
I still think the hd600 a bit more detail in the midrange and treble smoothness against the 58x, but as I said the difference is very minimal, and easily covered from the other advantage the 58x brings on the table.

Cheers guys!

Thank you, this comparison was very good. I got the 58X because of the things you described, a more punchy bass but also keeping a Sennheiser signature and easier to drive. I love their sound and you helped me see it was a good decision, my only issue was some slight grain in the treble but after some EQ tweaking and some foam on the bass hole I never had the same problem. After reading I think I'll forget about the 650. I wanted to try it for some smooth jazz that I listen but it's not worth so much money and problems importing it just to use a very similar headphone for some specific genres. I'll just force myselft to chill and someday jump to maybe the $350 tier. Best case scenario: Elex. But I still, l want to try the mellow 650 sound eventually.

Feb 28, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #3,578 of 4,845
The design of the cups , and the way they're attached to the yokes at a slight angle works for me in figuring out right and left. Putting them on backwards I feel you'd notice it immediately. The fit would be extremely wonky. Lol

In fact, all in the HD6 line has them.
The three dots is the letter L in Braille, btw :)

Not to mention the logo and word "Sennheiser" on the top of the headband is on the left side too.

Feb 28, 2019 at 11:55 PM Post #3,579 of 4,845
Speaking on the ability to identify which ear cup is left and right there is also and L and R on the frame above each ear cup under the HD58X Jubilee name plate. I'm running my 58X and 6XX balance now.

Mar 1, 2019 at 3:07 AM Post #3,580 of 4,845
Any lcd-2c users who also happens to have 58x, plz comapre and make us jealous how audeze blow these sennz.
I haven't heard the LCD-2C (classic) but do own a LCD-2F, HD58X, HD650, HD6XX and have owned the HD600, heard HD660S and have owned or heard quite a few other headphones.
I agree with most of the others that the HD58X is a really good headphone but to me they are a level behind the HD600, HD650 and HD660S due to the grain in the highs and far behind the LCD-2F in bass, sound stage and grain. When taking about the LCD-2 family its important to note which version you are talking about since the different versions do sound different (LCD-2.1, LCD-2.2, LCD-2F 2014-2016, LCD-2F Dec2016 and newer, LCD-2c). I have 3 friends who got the HD58X after hearing mine but they all agree that the HD600, HD650 and HD660S have less grain and for some its an issue while for others its a non-issue but they got the HD58X due to it sounding great on simple phones or computer headphone jacks. If you are willing to get a decent amp + DAC to drive headphones then I'd say get the HD6XX, a decent OTL (BH Crack + tubes) or hybrid (Ember) amp and a decent DAC (Modi 3) for smoother cleaner sound over the HD58X IMO.

If you can hear the differences between 320 MP3 and FLAC files then the HD58X will most likely sound worse than the other HD6 series headphones but if the differences between 320MP3 and FLAC is not easy to notice then the HD58X will probably sound quite good to you. Another thing to consider is how loud one listens since to me it has a fairly large impact on how one will perceive a headphone sounds. If you like to listen at +85dB most of the time the LCD-2F will be a much better sounding headphone over the HD58X due to the clean tight bass, lack of mid-bass hump, way less grain and way less grain in the highs but if you listen at fairly low levels like under 75dB most of the time the HD58X will hold its own most of the time.

With that said I think there are very few headphones that will better the HD58X for under $200 without an amp since I've found a few of my friends liking either the HE400i, SR225e, and MDR-7506 over the HD58X but it comes down to the genres, environment, and personal preference that they like which makes the differences. These days there are so many good/great headphones that there is something out there for anyone and to me there are few that are really bad sounding and anytime I read a post were someone says "X" headphone "blows away" "Y" headphone I really don't take the post seriously since no headphone "blows away" any headphone IMO.

Mar 1, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #3,581 of 4,845
Ordered me a set on the 15th of Feb, shipped out on the 16th. Unfortunately for international orders you only have the option of shipping with the regular DHL postal service. This is such a shame because it means that they are sent from the US, then off to Germany, and then to me in the UAE. I bet the Germans must be cringing at that level of inefficiency lol.

Mar 4, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #3,582 of 4,845
The cable for my HD58X broke after limited use. I returned it to Sennheiser for a replacement - but they instead sent me a new in-box HD600 instead.

I'd be more excited if I didn't already own a HD600 (and HD650, HD580, HD58X). I'm still pondering if I should tell them of their mistake and ask they instead send me the cable I requested.

Mar 4, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #3,584 of 4,845
The cable for my HD58X broke after limited use. I returned it to Sennheiser for a replacement - but they instead sent me a new in-box HD600 instead.

I'd be more excited if I didn't already own a HD600 (and HD650, HD580, HD58X). I'm still pondering if I should tell them of their mistake and ask they instead send me the cable I requested.
That's... some mistake to say the least. Wouldn't hurt to call them to find out. Big company like that may not even notice it was gone, so they may not care to have it back. But, as Guido stated above, the right thing would be to at least check in. If they say keeping it is fine, you could grab just the cable from it and then sell (or raffle?) the resulting cable-less headphones.

Seeing as you have the whole family, have you already posted your impressions of their comparison? I can't remember... this thread has been going on for a while <sheepish look>

Mar 4, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #3,585 of 4,845
If you like to listen at +85dB most of the time the LCD-2F will be a much better sounding headphone over the HD58X due to the clean tight bass, lack of mid-bass hump, way less grain and way less grain in the highs but if you listen at fairly low levels like under 75dB most of the time the HD58X will hold its own most of the time.

+85 dB is not a safe volume to listen to music. Instead of a much better sounding headphone, it will be a much better way to get hearing loss. You'll hear much more detail if you keep the volume < 75 dB. Now I understand why some peoples hear too much grain on the 58x: they listen super loud!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back