Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Dec 3, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #2,971 of 4,845
So I just got the HD58X. It's very weird to listen to it after previously owning a K701 which had a very weak bass.
I think the sound is technically better than the K701 which was really bright. I can picture more details. Obviously the K701 has a much wider soundstage.
I have one issue though. I think the bass a little tad too overwhelming for my taste, and the highs are much less powerful than the K701, so when it comes to noisier tracks I do have a preference for the K701.

I don't know if I should sell them both and try something more adequate to my taste.
Give them some time to burn in. I thought the bass was bloated at first but it improved over a week or two of use.

Dec 3, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #2,973 of 4,845
I don't have K701. But I believe I can have a sense of the sound signature of 701 based on my K240DF. I recommend HD600. 600 is much neutral than 58X. I also feel the bass of 58X is a little bit too bloated. It's a gospel of basshead. That explains why some people like 58X much.
Yeah but the HD600 is much more expensive though. Is it really worth it for that price difference ?

^^ +1
This cans can/will morph like no other ,just give it some time
Alright but what about the headband ? This will sound weird but how exactly do I adjust to headband to loosen it a little bit with the adjuster ? I also read about bending some metal part of which I have no clue on how to proceed.

Dec 3, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #2,974 of 4,845
Yeah but the HD600 is much more expensive though. Is it really worth it for that price difference ?

Alright but what about the headband ? This will sound weird but how exactly do I adjust to headband to loosen it a little bit with the adjuster ? I also read about bending some metal part of which I have no clue on how to proceed.
I'm one that doesn't agree with @yangian about the HD600, yes its more expensive and its also not quite as easy to drive as the HD58X but since the treble of the K701 does not bother you it might be okay. If anything I think the HD660S is more of what you are looking for but its even more expensive than the HD600 which is my main problem with them.

As for the headband, extend out the sliders all the way, and only bend the slider/metal part. You might also try to check on youtube since I think there used to be a video on how to bend the sliders.
20181203_132905.jpg
the are within the yellow line is where you want to bend a little

Dec 3, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #2,978 of 4,845
I'm one that doesn't agree with @yangian about the HD600, yes its more expensive and its also not quite as easy to drive as the HD58X but since the treble of the K701 does not bother you it might be okay. If anything I think the HD660S is more of what you are looking for but its even more expensive than the HD600 which is my main problem with them.

As for the headband, extend out the sliders all the way, and only bend the slider/metal part. You might also try to check on youtube since I think there used to be a video on how to bend the sliders.

the are within the yellow line is where you want to bend a little

Thanks dude.

Dec 4, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #2,979 of 4,845
Could someone recommend me some good DAPs under or around $200 that could drive the HD58X Properly? I'm looking into the HiBy R3, the Fiio M7, the Cowon Plenue D and the Sony NWA45. The Cowon apparently does drive headphones under 300 Ohm, but I've seen posts from people complaining about it unable to drive headphones with much lower impedance. Which of these would sound best with the 58X?
I'd suggest checking out the Topping NX4. There's a thread on it here. I've been very pleased using it to drive both the 58X and the 6XX.

Dec 4, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #2,980 of 4,845

You can remove the foam as well back as well. It really shouldn't change anything, there is no reason Sennheiser said the foam is acoustically transparent, but somehow I feel more treble. Maybe it's worth trying? Maybe you can feel it / get affected with placebo?

Also search for an EQ setting but Oratory1990 for the HD58X, it improves treble response and makes it brighter but also increases sub-bass (so you might want to adjust it).

I'm used to brighter headphnes as well and this EQ is good for me, cymbals are more realistic and more present for example, you can really notice it in Dave Brubeck's Take Five, live at Carnegie Hall

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #2,982 of 4,845
After using both extensively, I much prefer the HD58X over my HD600. The reason being the HD58X's stronger lower end give vocal voices much more depth than my HD600 can.
Also, even though I am not an old guy I really do find too many songs these days have overwhelming highs that pierce my ears. The HD58X is just such a joy to listen to without any fatigue at all.
The HD600 can be overwhelming at time.

Dec 8, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #2,983 of 4,845
I'm listening to 58X with 2.5mm balanced cable with balanced mode of Pono. I was shocked by the sound of balanced mode of Pono and 58X became much balanced and neutral. Now it sounds very close to 600.

Dec 9, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #2,984 of 4,845
I'm listening to 58X with 2.5mm balanced cable with balanced mode of Pono. I was shocked by the sound of balanced mode of Pono and 58X became much balanced and neutral. Now it sounds very close to 600.
I am also using a Pono player in balanced mode. Very happy with this combo & I can hear the difference with high-res files over standard CD rips.
Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back