1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jude, Dec 20, 2017.
First

Back
191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200
202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211
Next

Last
  1. turbomustang84
    Take out the foam it drops the Bass a bit and elevates the highs .

2. King CATalyst
    My pair has what sounds like rattling on the right side, anyone else experience this issue? Also has anyone had to send an item back to massdrop for repairs/replacement? If so was it a quick and easy process or no?

3. JohannLiebert
    One of the best headphone purchases I've ever made. Had the likes of HD800s, Andromeda, T5p and PP8.
    I don't remember how much better they are in technicalities than the HD58x but once u fall into the trap wanting to compare everything - u will lose a lot of money.
    As it stands now.. the HD58x makes me think how ridiculous this hobby is. I could easily live for the rest of my live with my HD58x and spend the rest on something else <3

shahkhan, Tuneslover, letlive and 4 others like this.
  4. Colors
    That and the 6XX + Magni 3 also make me wonder.

5. Guidostrunk
    I say the same thing all the time. I don't miss anything I've previously owned. It really is quite the revelation. I honestly enjoy my music experiences more these days. Lol.

6. someyoungguy
    I got some time to listen to my HD58X in the weekend, paired with Massdrop CTH. Sadly I haven’t used them that much as most of my listening is on the go or in an office some days, hardly get the time and quiet space to sit down and listen at home anymore. In fact, I had been wondering about selling both the 58X and CTH as they’re so neglected.

But after the weekend I thought “nah, I’m keeping em”. I also just got a pair of Aeon Flow Closed, switching to the 58X I heard less air between instruments and an overall reduction in the sense of 3D space, but really it didn’t matter so much - the 58X still had a great presentation and sense of coherency, and I quickly got used to it.

I might end up keeping these for the rest of my life: they just sound good, and are light and comfy enough for long sessions :)

7. Luigi Milazzo
    I don’t think calling this hobby ridiculous in a forum where people are in search of something good to enjoy art is a really good idea. You are not the right hobbyists here if you consider stupid spending money in something better (and your mentions are immensely better than the mediocre hd58x, say thank you to your memory). I don’t feel this hobby so stupid unless you spend 1000 in a cable or an usb filter, buying a good flagship under 700 in the name of music, if this doesn’t leave you in the street, is Not a terrible idea. But i will not complaint you if you will listen your music with this model or even a ksc75 for your entire life, it’s for sure a better idea to save money and have a decent listen. And no, for sure decent is not my favorite word.

8. Luigi Milazzo
    I’m going to feel really jealous of your satisfaction, 150 euro to cure an obsession? What a bargain would be. After the 58x i felt in love with the dt880, an equally drivable can, but more precise, tonally correct and clean. But i know there will be another love for me...

9. Degree
    I don't think he meant it in a negative way, the other headphones he listed are more expensive than the hd58x and the fact that he feels very satisfied that he can be content with the hd58x even though he has HPs costing 2>4x more. Just like how Tyll from innerfidelity, after decades of reviewing hundreds of cans that range from pennies to thousands of dollars, he retired and stated that he'll end up just getting a pair of bose and beats.
    https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/thats-itim-out

It's ridiculous in the sense that in the world of audiophile its crazy. You can have graphs, measurements, cans that vary in very different price ranges, different types planar/dynamic/electrostatics,hundreds of different amp-dacs,different sound signatures etc. but at the end of the day, the fact that you can choose a $150~ headphone over a higher priced and maybe even better performing one is ridiculous and the possibilities are endless.

At least, that's how I read his post from my perspective and I could have gotten it entirely wrong :grimacing:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    jaco61 and someyoungguy like this.
  10. LazyListener
    For those that listened to both HD 650/6XX and the Massdrop HD 58X Jubilee enough to form a fair opinion, would you say that the high mids/low treble are more relaxed on the 58X? I owned a new HD 650 for a couple of months a couple of years ago. I found that at times, depending on the artist/song, the mids were slightly too forward/bright. It was actually bothersome enough for me, that I would stop listening after a while. Again, it wasn't terrible by any means, but I think I'm sensitive to this general frequency range. Curious if the 58X would be better for me.

Also, I've read comments that the 58X sound grainy, which I don't like. I loved the smoothness of the 650. Is the grain really that noticeable on the 58X?

Thanks in advance for any sound advice.

11. someyoungguy
    Yeah that’s the direction I was heading in too - the 58Xs are waay cheaper than the Aeon Flows, but I still really enjoy listening to music on the 58Xs without feeling I’m missing too much. It’s all down to personal preference and enjoyment in the end - if you like other headphones better than the 58X, all good, sit back and enjoy them!

Degree likes this.
  12. Luigi Milazzo
    I have a MDR-1AM2, in my collection. Elevated bass, good mids and articulated highs. A rollercoaster of hugeness. I never speak about that when a guy ask me a suggestion about a good mid fi can. That bass is intended to cover the train rumble outside, when i want something hot around the ears and the chill of december suggest me to wear something hot. That little wonderful shape is really good looking for people who don’t want a red b on their ears.
    In the case of 58x the hype made the drop, already. Now it’s time to talk about facts: if he talk about the Jubilee as an END GAME (!), after listening equipment 100 times better, talking about the paradox of hifi, it’s not a good suggestion for users who want better listening solution. Tyll wouldn’t agree. It’s like the ve monk hype: a lot of people tried to be smart and take the “best audio bargain of all time”, and to mantain their coherence, started to talk about miracles... i can describe other 50 audio hype, but it’s enough. Tyll alwais said the truth, scientifically proved and wonderfully described. The truth is that hd58x is an attempt to please the MASS with a convenient DROP, at a right price. But that enormous bass, that distant high mids, that unarticulate highs where the grain seems detail... no. It’s on par with shp9500, but I never admit it’s even on par with something like fidelio x2. And don’t forget that at 159 euro, a dt880 is the first step to the greatness, like the hd600 are. Oh yes hd650 is a wonderful relaxed listen, but the fidelity is oriented in a totally different direction. Sennheiser has even extremized the hd650 characteristics to please people, not to create sonething better. And with this Tyll would agree for sure.

13. forestitalia
    You're are confused, too many headphones in short time convinced you being Tyll. Take a break and work on the rest of the system

14. Luigi Milazzo
    Yes, i know that 15 years is not a lot. But i try to give my help, aren't you? (I am not shure that with a 150 euro amp i would be happier. My dt880 sing from everywhere. I'm very happy, but i will consider your suggestion, andi will ignore your description about me.

15. forestitalia
    Yeah, and we ignore the s**t you are throwing on this headphones. Why you don't go enjoy the dt880 that you said is perfect, be happy.

First

Back
191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200
202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211
Next

Last