Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Aug 27, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #1,906 of 4,845
My 58X headphones, ordered on the 21st Aug, arrived CDG Paris yesterday and in my letterbox in SW France this morning ... that's outstanding! And, what's more, I haven't been asked to pay any import duty or VAT. I sense a music session is on the cards later this evening.

Nice one! I was lucky with my Hifiman x Massdrop HE-4XX but unfortunatly not with these. Additional cost was 40 euro but still easily worth it for the HD 58X imo.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #1,907 of 4,845
Hey, it's me again lol. Can you tell me how long this cable is please? Also, I'm looking at the 3.5mm single ended cable. Do you think this is a worthy upgrade over the stock 58x cable? I might get the balanced 2.5 cable as well. There is another similar cable on ebay but it's only 4 core, where as this cable is 16 core. I know nothing about cables, or how the core number works. One last question. Is this cable less cumbersome than the stock 58x cable? Much appreciated
You don't really need to get both, just get a 2.5 balanced to 3.5 unbalanced adapter and then you don't have to switch the cable back and forth (which will save your connectors in the long run). I'll have to measure it, I think it's about 5 or 6 feet.

I do think it's a worthy upgrade. It's a very nice braided cable, and very high quality. If you have a balanced source, it will generally allow you to feed them more power. I'm not sure it's less cumbersome -- the stock cable is pretty good in the first place and I'm not sure I'd describe it as cumbersome. I think because it's braided with so many cores, it's a touch less flexible, but not by much and they've never been an issue for me. Neither the stock or this one is anywhere close to as bad as a Pinnacle P2 cable.

I'm not sure I understand the theory behind multiple cores, I've always assumed the more the better. You'd think that more cores equals thicker, but that's not the case because it depends on the thickness of the wires. I have a 4-core that is pretty thick, and a high core count one that is very thin and flexible.

Aug 27, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #1,908 of 4,845
Hey, it's me again lol. Can you tell me how long this cable is please? Also, I'm looking at the 3.5mm single ended cable. Do you think this is a worthy upgrade over the stock 58x cable? I might get the balanced 2.5 cable as well. There is another similar cable on ebay but it's only 4 core, where as this cable is 16 core. I know nothing about cables, or how the core number works. One last question. Is this cable less cumbersome than the stock 58x cable? Much appreciated

It is 5 ft from connector to termination. Perfect length for portable use. I would give these a try see how you like em. Can't recommed a better cable at double the price. Core number is not as important as material used. The build quaity on the cable is excellent and is very flexable, much better that the stock cable. Will be the best $40 spent on a cable I am willing to bet you.

Aug 27, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #1,909 of 4,845
My 58X headphones, ordered on the 21st Aug, arrived CDG Paris yesterday and in my letterbox in SW France this morning ... that's outstanding! And, what's more, I haven't been asked to pay any import duty or VAT. I sense a music session is on the cards later this evening.

Nice. I had to pay taxes and customs fees at the counter when picking up the parcel.

Aug 27, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #1,910 of 4,845
It's good to keep in mind that the foam actually does protect the driver from all kinds of dust and other stuff. If you remove it then there's nothing to protect it. I'm still rather sceptical about removing it making a huge difference. After all, there's quite a bit of air between the foam and the back of the driver. It's very similar to the foam that is used to protect the driver inside the ear cup. I'll definitely be keeping the foam in place.

I’d bet the foam is exactly the same.. as well as the pads across the board for all HD6-models. I’ve only seen one kind in the spares shop. Also, production-wise it would make a lot of sense.

Aug 27, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #1,911 of 4,845
It's good to keep in mind that the foam actually does protect the driver from all kinds of dust and other stuff. If you remove it then there's nothing to protect it. I'm still rather sceptical about removing it making a huge difference. After all, there's quite a bit of air between the foam and the back of the driver. It's very similar to the foam that is used to protect the driver inside the ear cup. I'll definitely be keeping the foam in place.

Removing foam does nothing.

Aug 27, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #1,913 of 4,845
Removing foam does nothing.

v5lvuh.png
Yeah, I know. Solderdude did the measurements and it just doesn't show any difference. Now I don't know if it would make any difference to other aspects of the sound but that should at least confirm that there's no difference in bass with and without. Basically everything is within margin of error.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #1,914 of 4,845
Uh? What is your system?

What do you mean?

Yeah, I know. Solderdude did the measurements and it just doesn't show any difference. Now I don't know if it would make any difference to other aspects of the sound but that should at least confirm that there's no difference in bass with and without. Basically everything is within margin of error.

I tried it myself and didn't hear a difference. If it can't be measured it shouldn't be said imo.

On Solderdude, has anyone been able to find that creatology ecofi 50/50 felt he used?

Aug 27, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #1,915 of 4,845
Have you tried it? Just for a few minutes?

Aug 27, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #1,916 of 4,845
I've tried the headphones for a while without the rear foam and without the grill entirely for a few hours each. I haven't tried removing the earcup side at all. Most likely it would introduce more treble which I feel the headphones already have enough of.

To me, it didn't make much difference to me in terms of FR signature. It actually may have sounded slightly harsher overall when the grill was on without foam for me. This was after the felt mod however. It may have sounded slightly more open but not enough that I would care enough to keep the foam off.

Most of my time have been dedicated to modding my T50RPs recently. But listening to the HD58X again, I'm still in love with their balanced sound.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #1,917 of 4,845
Have you tried it? Just for a few minutes?
I have not tried it myself. I don't like the idea of dust getting in the driver. Removing it would definitely make it easier. Besides it doesn't need any more treble. Since Solderdude did do the measurements... I think that's all the data I need. I'd need two cans to do any semi reliable testing.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #1,918 of 4,845
I have not tried it myself. I don't like the idea of dust getting in the driver. Removing it would definitely make it easier. Besides it doesn't need any more treble. Since Solderdude did do the measurements... I think that's all the data I need. I'd need two cans to do any semi reliable testing.
What happens if dust enters the driver?

Aug 27, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #1,920 of 4,845
This is the first headphone I got that I actually love, with nothing bad about, the sound is not fatiguing, soft yet powerful, even from my tablet or phone. I have it for some days now and I've spent almost all the time with them on my head.
Really fell in love with it's sound signature, granted, I only have Low end headphones and headsets.

ehws33X.jpg

I tried it without the foam, and also did the mod, but in the end, I found it to become a little more harsh in treble, which I'm very sensitive to.
It did made it look more stylish though, not that it matters, now in the end of the day, I reverted the mod, which was very easy, and it really does sound more pleasurable in stock form to me.

Nau7ETJ.jpg

Like many pointed out, easy to listen to, and to me, with a powerful and fast response, it's just very smooth sounding, but while keeping the punch and detail, it hits strong in feelings.
Plays every genre well, but I feel its very special to classical genres. As a first entry level headphone, I'm so amazed with these.
They made me so very happy ^-^

What felt did you use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back