Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Aug 28, 2018 at 1:20 AM Post #1,936 of 4,845
I couldnt find exactly what he had either, but my barcode matches his, along with some other numbers, but the format isnt the same.

I'm using this and I like the results, I just want to have basically exactly what he has and be happy.

Yeah, that's interesting. The fabric in your pic looks identical to mine--although mine's the white colored felt--kind of a smooth texture. The tag on mine says Creatology Stiffened Felt 100% Polyester.

His looks, like I said, like sort of a rougher surface, almost like a scrub pad. Can see it really well when I blow it up a few hundred percent. Is yours smooth or rough? I guess it's possible that it's just a higher resolution in solderdude's picture but I could swear his has almost a scrub pad texture.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 2:57 AM Post #1,937 of 4,845
+1 ....back to stock also, I missed some lower meat :wink: I like the 58X without the mods best

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #1,939 of 4,845
Just got mine. Stretching them a bit first. Any suggestions for a replacement cable? I like the 6 footer but for my work station I could use some more length. Should I just get a stock 650 cable?

I went on Amazon and got a 1 Meter (3 foot) extension cable for under $10 free shipping with Amazon prime. Also a cheap but solid hard case there. That cable is high quality, no sound issues. I can leave that plugged in to my main home rig with the 1/4 adapter (the extension has a 1/8 plug). If I ever wanted to take them to use portable (not likely, I have others for that), that allows me to just unplug the stock cable from the extension and go. I don't know why others aren't doing this. The stock HD650 is more expensive and not necessary to address this.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #1,940 of 4,845
Yeah, that's interesting. The fabric in your pic looks identical to mine--although mine's the white colored felt--kind of a smooth texture. The tag on mine says Creatology Stiffened Felt 100% Polyester.

His looks, like I said, like sort of a rougher surface, almost like a scrub pad. Can see it really well when I blow it up a few hundred percent. Is yours smooth or rough? I guess it's possible that it's just a higher resolution in solderdude's picture but I could swear his has almost a scrub pad texture.

Mine is slightly coarse, maybe like a rougher billiards felt. Yea I found that white stiffened felt but saw it was 100% and the red was closest to what Solderdude used.

Aug 28, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #1,941 of 4,845
This is the first headphone I got that I actually love, with nothing bad about, the sound is not fatiguing, soft yet powerful, even from my tablet or phone. I have it for some days now and I've spent almost all the time with them on my head.
Really fell in love with it's sound signature, granted, I only have Low end headphones and headsets.

ehws33X.jpg

I tried it without the foam, and also did the mod, but in the end, I found it to become a little more harsh in treble, which I'm very sensitive to.
It did made it look more stylish though, not that it matters, now in the end of the day, I reverted the mod, which was very easy, and it really does sound more pleasurable in stock form to me.

Nau7ETJ.jpg

Like many pointed out, easy to listen to, and to me, with a powerful and fast response, it's just very smooth sounding, but while keeping the punch and detail, it hits strong in feelings.
Plays every genre well, but I feel its very special to classical genres. As a first entry level headphone, I'm so amazed with these.
They made me so very happy ^-^

You can also do the felt circle mod using the stock foam, just cut it into 22mm circles like you would the felt... stock sound but just a little more open.

For the price the HD58X is AWESOME and probably the best pair of headphones you can get new for under $200!

Aug 28, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #1,944 of 4,845
I really want the correct felt, and from my understanding NO ONE is using the right stuff. \

With that said, stock 58x is a little too much bass for my liking, a little too aggressive as well.

Honestly, there is probably no right stuff. Doing mods like this is really going to be dependent on your own personal preferences. The felt Solderdude used was chosen for his personal preference. Some folks just may not like what it does. This particular mod is simple and easy enough to do that you can always just try different materials and find the one that suits you best (the PDF shows how different materials affect the sound). Who knows, ulitimately you may just prefer the stock sound anyways. Probably the only certain thing about doing this mod is to make sure the tape isn't covering the vent (you'll lose way to much bass - apparently the same applies to using self-adhesive felt)

For the record, I'm trying out some standard craft store felt myself (Kunin, I think). I can't really decide if it has lowered the bass too much or not…

Aug 28, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #1,945 of 4,845
Honestly, there is probably no right stuff. Doing mods like this is really going to be dependent on your own personal preferences. The felt Solderdude used was chosen for his personal preference. Some folks just may not like what it does. This particular mod is simple and easy enough to do that you can always just try different materials and find the one that suits you best (the PDF shows how different materials affect the sound). Who knows, ulitimately you may just prefer the stock sound anyways. Probably the only certain thing about doing this mod is to make sure the tape isn't covering the vent (you'll lose way to much bass - apparently the same applies to using self-adhesive felt)

For the record, I'm trying out some standard craft store felt myself (Kunin, I think). I can't really decide if it has lowered the bass too much or not…

It's just the felt he used to get the sound close to the 660, which is what I am interested in. So far I'm happy with the felt I have, but would be way happier if I could find "his" stuff to get close to 660 and see if I like it.

Aug 29, 2018 at 2:25 AM Post #1,946 of 4,845
It's just the felt he used to get the sound close to the 660, which is what I am interested in. So far I'm happy with the felt I have, but would be way happier if I could find "his" stuff to get close to 660 and see if I like it.
How do you know if you have or not the “right” felt? Unless you measure his headphones and yours to see if the sound is the same, there’s no way to know. You could have been using the “right” felt and just because you don’t like how it sounds you think it’s not.

Aug 29, 2018 at 6:45 AM Post #1,947 of 4,845
20180829_195624.jpg

I am addicted to the sound of the HD58X.

For the first time since receiving the 58X, I located my HD800S and had a listen. These are my HD800S I bought new.

Listening to the HD800S for the first time in a while and since I bought the 58X has really put things into perspective. What a difference, wow. I never knew the gap could be so large.

The HD800S is simply not as good a headphone as the HD58X.

I turn the volume down...the upper mids are too recessed. I turn it up...the treble becomes too dominant. In the middle... it sounds unbalanced.

The superb clarity, layering and harmonised imaging on the HD58X is replaced with disjointed, vague and out of focus in the HD800S.

The physical act of mounting the driver baffles as far away from the ears, deep within the ear cup cavities of the 800 to maximise the soundstaging simultaneously works against it's ability to accurately resolve elements in the centre and upper mids. It's a blended vague mess here due to the cavity enabling reflections to blur the separation and imaging.

The superb sound quality of the the HD58X, and indeed the entire family of this headphone is due a large part to its entire chassis. It is a derivative of the HE60, HE90 and upon which the New Orpheus is built upon. This blueprint, this DNA is what drives unanimous praise for all its derivatives. With tribal warfare waging on which derivative rules supreme!

One could probably put a mosquito in the earcup of these headphones for a driver and it would still be praised for its musicality.

I eagerly await the arrival of the HD666. The one to rule the world.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #1,948 of 4,845

Boy, I really need to go into the felt sales business. I'd get rich, just off this thread. :ksc75smile:

Aug 29, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #1,949 of 4,845

I am addicted to the sound of the HD58X.

For the first time since receiving the 58X, I located my HD800S and had a listen. These are my HD800S I bought new.

Listening to the HD800S for the first time in a while and since I bought the 58X has really put things into perspective. What a difference, wow. I never knew the gap could be so large.

The HD800S is simply not as good a headphone as the HD58X.

I turn the volume down...the upper mids are too recessed. I turn it up...the treble becomes too dominant. In the middle... it sounds unbalanced.

The superb clarity, layering and harmonised imaging on the HD58X is replaced with disjointed, vague and out of focus in the HD800S.

The physical act of mounting the driver baffles as far away from the ears, deep within the ear cup cavities of the 800 to maximise the soundstaging simultaneously works against it's ability to accurately resolve elements in the centre and upper mids. It's a blended vague mess here due to the cavity enabling reflections to blur the separation and imaging.

The superb sound quality of the the HD58X, and indeed the entire family of this headphone is due a large part to its entire chassis. It is a derivative of the HE60, HE90 and upon which the New Orpheus is built upon. This blueprint, this DNA is what drives unanimous praise for all its derivatives. With tribal warfare waging on which derivative rules supreme!

One could probably put a mosquito in the earcup of these headphones for a driver and it would still be praised for its musicality.

I eagerly await the arrival of the HD666. The one to rule the world.

Hi, what amplifier you using? I had same feeling many times, but have to say the 800s was not driven well, 58x sounds good with much less difficult.

Aug 29, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #1,950 of 4,845
Hi, what amplifier you using? I had same feeling many times, but have to say the 800s was not driven well, 58x sounds good with much less difficult.

The reason people say the 58X doesn't scale as much as other phones is simple. Other phones have major flaws that border on fatal...and the careful selection of DAC and amp to cover that flaw seems such a relief that the headphones is imagined to "scale" with attempts to alleviate the near fatal flaw. It seems such a relief to get away from that flaw that it seems to have improved immensely with other likely larger 'investments'.

I choose an upper mid resolving DAC and amp, and my H800S is acceptable. Go the wrong way, and it's awful.

The 58X is tonally correct, you couldn't select electronics coloured enough to stray away from its core neutrality (yes they match my Klein & Hummel monitors, the 800S does not). The HD58X can go brighter or softer...it doesn't matter.

There is every chance that the 58X can pickup detail that the studio monitors used to master the recording will completely miss. Which is why some declare that the mids are too strident, the reason they got pulled back, because it is picking up extra ambient tails that the engineer threw in too much of, because most speakers will never resolve that well. That is why Tyll complained of the HD660 being strident when they are of no greater amplitude than the HD650. These drivers pickup ambience best...what other drivers cannot reveal, not HD800, not HD650.

Going back to componen matching, It's like a neutral handling car... When a passengers go for a ride with you...it will still drive well, no matter where they sit. Other cars are better off with the passenger in the boot to better balance the handling.

And no. I do not condone kidnapping someone to improve the handling of your hot hatch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back