Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Aug 27, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #1,921 of 4,845
This is the first headphone I got that I actually love, with nothing bad about, the sound is not fatiguing, soft yet powerful, even from my tablet or phone. I have it for some days now and I've spent almost all the time with them on my head.
Really fell in love with it's sound signature, granted, I only have Low end headphones and headsets.

I tried it without the foam, and also did the mod, but in the end, I found it to become a little more harsh in treble, which I'm very sensitive to.
It did made it look more stylish though, not that it matters, now in the end of the day, I reverted the mod, which was very easy, and it really does sound more pleasurable in stock form to me.

Like many pointed out, easy to listen to, and to me, with a powerful and fast response, it's just very smooth sounding, but while keeping the punch and detail, it hits strong in feelings.
Plays every genre well, but I feel its very special to classical genres. As a first entry level headphone, I'm so amazed with these.
They made me so very happy ^-^

I'm glad you like it! I've owned a few headphones and I was really pleasantly surprised that something so good can come out of a $150 can! I'm a bit treble sensitive too and I agree that taking the foam out makes it more aggressive. I've always been struggling with looking for a pair of headphones with the right amount of soundstage and sparkle while trying not to have my ears too fatigued from an over energetic treble. I've owned the Sennheiser HD700 and a few Beyerdynamics which at the start was very engaging but soon became too bright sounding. On the other end of the spectrum I found the HD650 too dark for me, I think the HD58X with the foam off might be a good balance or my own personal preference.

Over the years when our hearing perception changes, I imagine that's why our sonic preferences will change accordingly.

Aug 27, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #1,924 of 4,845
aar.PNG
Just a simple synthetic felt ^-^

SolderDude used a specific felt that I would assume is pretty important to use to get the same results as him, but if you are happy if your results thats all that matters.

that link doesnt take you to SolderDudes specific felt

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #1,925 of 4,845

SolderDude used a specific felt that I would assume is pretty important to use to get the same results as him, but if you are happy if your results thats all that matters.

that link doesnt take you to SolderDudes specific felt

You're right and I went ahead and deleted my post when I grabbed my felt piece and checked again. The barcode is almost identical 75052 vs solderdude's 75054. When I looked closer at the felt it appears solderdudes' may be slightly more porous and has a more "brambly" composition. I think I tried looking for the 50/50 here in Canada and that was closest I could get. In my haste to try the mod I might have assumed that it was the Canadian equivalent (However, it appears they sell the same stuff I bought in Canada in the states as per that link I provided to the US Michaels--dohh!). I appear to have been wrong--it ain't the same stuff.. The mod has improved the sound although maybe it would have been better to get the eco-fi 50%. Hey, there's a new project!

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #1,926 of 4,845
You're right and I went ahead and deleted my post when I grabbed my felt piece and checked again. The barcode is almost identical 75052 vs solderdude's 75054. When I looked closer at the felt it appears solderdudes' may be slightly more porous and has a more "brambly" composition. I think I tried looking for the 50/50 here in Canada and that was closest I could get. In my haste to try the mod I might have assumed that it was the Canadian equivalent (However, it appears they sell the same stuff I bought in Canada in the states as per that link I provided to the US Michaels--dohh!). I appear to have been wrong--it ain't the same stuff.. The mod has improved the sound although maybe it would have been better to get the eco-fi 50%. Hey, there's a new project!

I couldnt find exactly what he had either, but my barcode matches his, along with some other numbers, but the format isnt the same.

asda.jpg

I'm using this and I like the results, I just want to have basically exactly what he has and be happy.

Aug 27, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #1,927 of 4,845
You don't really need to get both, just get a 2.5 balanced to 3.5 unbalanced adapter and then you don't have to switch the cable back and forth (which will save your connectors in the long run). I'll have to measure it, I think it's about 5 or 6 feet.

I do think it's a worthy upgrade. It's a very nice braided cable, and very high quality. If you have a balanced source, it will generally allow you to feed them more power. I'm not sure it's less cumbersome -- the stock cable is pretty good in the first place and I'm not sure I'd describe it as cumbersome. I think because it's braided with so many cores, it's a touch less flexible, but not by much and they've never been an issue for me. Neither the stock or this one is anywhere close to as bad as a Pinnacle P2 cable.

I'm not sure I understand the theory behind multiple cores, I've always assumed the more the better. You'd think that more cores equals thicker, but that's not the case because it depends on the thickness of the wires. I have a 4-core that is pretty thick, and a high core count one that is very thin and flexible.
Thanks for the info. I had no idea that balanced adapter was even a thing. Will the balanced adapter work with single 3.5mm cables, or does the cable need to be double ended like the one that came with the 58X?
Using a Shanling m3s, if I plug the 2.5mm male end on the adapter into the balanced output, and then put the 3.5mm jack from say my B&O play H6 into the female end of the balanced adapter, will this work - do I now have balanced audio, or must I use a double ended cable such as the one from my 99 Classics?

Aug 27, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #1,928 of 4,845
Thanks for the info. I had no idea that balanced adapter was even a thing. Will the balanced adapter work with single 3.5mm cables, or does the cable need to be double ended like the one that came with the 58X?
Using a Shanling m3s, if I plug the 2.5mm male end on the adapter into the balanced output, and then put the 3.5mm jack from say my B&O play H6 into the female end of the balanced adapter, will this work - do I now have balanced audio, or must I use a double ended cable such as the one from my 99 Classics?
not sure what you mean by double ended but you usually don't want to use an adapter to go from a balanced amp to SE headphone connector since it might fry the amp since the grounds are combined in a SE connection while in a balanced configuration they are always separate. Most use a balanced cable on the headphone and have an adapter to go from the balanced headphone side cable to a SE jack and only use the adapter when the amp only has SE output.

Aug 27, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #1,929 of 4,845
I think we're on different pages here. The adapter would allow you to buy the balanced headphone cable, and also use it with players that only have a 3.5mm unbalanced jack. That way you don't have to keep switching headphone cables. You put the adapter on when you need it, take it off when you don't.

It won't work with the B&Os because they only have one jack, like it won't work with my AKGs. You can have those kind of headphones rewired so they have two plugs, but that's not something I'd do myself (and isn't cheap to have someone else do). Those headphones are, by nature of their wiring, unbalanced. Luckily the Jubilees only need a new headphone cable.

Aug 27, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #1,930 of 4,845
not sure what you mean by double ended but you usually don't want to use an adapter to go from a balanced amp to SE headphone connector since it might fry the amp since the grounds are combined in a SE connection while in a balanced configuration they are always separate. Most use a balanced cable on the headphone and have an adapter to go from the balanced headphone side cable to a SE jack and only use the adapter when the amp only has SE output.
I think you said to skip the balanced cable and get a balanced adapter. Here's a picture of a balanced adapter I found on Amazon. So if I'm understanding correctly, I can use this adapter with my stock 58x cable, in lieu of purchasing a separate balanced cable for them, correct?
My question is if this adapter will also produce balanced audio with a standard 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male cable, such as the stock cable on my H6 - Or, will it only work for balanced audio with a split headphone cable such as the cable that came with the 58X

Aug 27, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #1,931 of 4,845
I think you said to skip the balanced cable and get a balanced adapter. Here's a picture of a balanced adapter I found on Amazon. So if I'm understanding correctly, I can use this adapter with my stock 58x cable, in lieu of purchasing a separate balanced cable for them, correct?
My question is if this adapter will also produce balanced audio with a standard 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male cable, such as the stock cable on my H6 - Or, will it only work for balanced audio with a split headphone cable such as the cable that came with the 58X
Screenshot_2018-08-27-18-30-21.png

Aug 27, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #1,932 of 4,845
I think we're on different pages here. The adapter would allow you to buy the balanced headphone cable, and also use it with players that only have a 3.5mm unbalanced jack. That way you don't have to keep switching headphone cables. You put the adapter on when you need it, take it off when you don't.

It won't work with the B&Os because they only have one jack, like it won't work with my AKGs. You can have those kind of headphones rewired so they have two plugs, but that's not something I'd do myself (and isn't cheap to have someone else do). Those headphones are, by nature of their wiring, unbalanced. Luckily the Jubilees only need a new headphone cable.
Okay, gotcha. The only balanced output I have is 2.5mm, so it's irrelevant anyways. Always learning on here

Aug 27, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #1,933 of 4,845

Wait, so I can buy the balanced cable AND the balanced adapter, and then use them together with my V30, and voila, balanced audio!?

Aug 27, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #1,934 of 4,845
Wait, so I can buy the balanced cable AND the balanced adapter, and then use them together with my V30, and voila, balanced audio!?
Well, no. You can use them with your V30, but that doesn't make it balanced. The adapter "unbalances" it to match the phone's jack. You can't make a balanced input unbalanced, and vice versa. But you can change the 2.5 jack to work with a standard 3.5 one. As was said before, you can't go the other way - it doesn't work like that. The adapter couples the two separate grounds together that are separate in the balanced cable, so you'll have R/L/ground. Hopefully I explained that correctly...it's getting late. :sleeping:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back