Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Aug 25, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #1,876 of 4,845
Yeah the clamp on new sennheisers is ridicilous, just extend the headband out and stretch the hell out of it multiple times till its perfect, Iw done that with all sennheisers Iw had, its not gonna break they are very durable.

Aug 25, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #1,877 of 4,845
58X isn't really that bright. You guys just haven't heard real bright headphones yet. Trust me when I say they are smooth (this is relative to what I've heard).

HD650 is considered being dark treble by a lot of people. If you consider that smooth, I would guess treble isn't your thing.
I believe you, I'm sure they're way more tolerable than the DT770! I couldn't stand those at times, way too bright for me in many cases, ended up selling them. Not suitable for longer listening sessions. I consider myself to be a bit treble sensitive.

Sennheiser Finland sells HD 650's for 459 €. Pretty ridiculous price considering it's usually a bit over 300 € everywhere else. In any case though, it's much cheaper to buy from Massdrop.

I think that would be pretty accurate. I find HD 58X's treble one the edge at times, HD 6XX has a tiny bit more room to play with. I find this to be more preferable usually. It does mean that HD 58X has a bit more initial wow factor but for longer times it's not necessarily a that pleasant (and some things that are on the edge, maybe thanks to poor mastering, may end up sounding a bit harsh or tiring). HD 58X has impressive bottom end and nice speed which can be really nice. But the somewhat recessed mids/vocals get somewhat lost in some cases where treble and bass overpowers them. With HD 6XX it's the other way around, which at least in my opinion is usually the better approach (which means that dialogue in movies etc. is clear and natural sounding). Also HD 6XX just does the vocals better - they sound smoother and more natural.

Both do some things really well. It comes down to personal preference and what kind of trade off you find acceptable. Now that I have both it's kinda win-win situation for me but if I could smash them together things would get really awesome. HD 58X speed and bottom end, HD 6XX mids and vocals (and the smoothness) and treble maybe somewhere in between. That would be close to perfection (well, maybe HD 700 or HD 59x style soundstage in the mix).

Both are absolutely fantastic headphones and I love them both.

This is how much HD 650 costs if one would buy them directly from Sennhei

There's one thing that I'm thinking of testing: Swapping the HD 6XX pads to HD 58X. My HD 6XX pads are definitely deeper which means it's actually more comfortable... I also wonder if those could make any difference in sound.
The 58X seems closer in signature to my H6 Gen 2. Great headphone but a little lacking in mid-bass and low-mids (smooth but a little distant), so it seems the HD6XX will fit the bill as the open back alternative as it has great mids. The H6 will be the fun headphone and the HD6XX will be the casual/relaxing at home headphone :)

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #1,878 of 4,845
58X isn't really that bright. You guys just haven't heard real bright headphones yet. Trust me when I say they are smooth (this is relative to what I've heard).

HD650 is considered being dark treble by a lot of people. If you consider that smooth, I would guess treble isn't your thing.
Agree with you that if you haven't heard a Beyer or Grado you might think the HD58X or HD660S is a touch on the bright side but I'm finding its also how the treble is presented, a person tolerance at various frequencies and also the choice of genre which can make a headphone seem bright, veiled or neutral. My RS2e and Ypsilon R1 are quite a bit brighter than the HD58X but as I found out last night when I had some friends over that brighter does not always mean that it would be fatiguing, sibilant or harsh since these non-audio friends found the HD58X to be way less bright than either the RS2e or Ypsilon R1 but found it the most fatiguing to listen to due to the HD58X having a touch more grain and a peak at a more noticeable frequency to most versus the higher treble peaks of the RS2e and R1.

Aug 25, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #1,879 of 4,845
Correctly me if I'm wrong, but isn't the HD6XX regarded as being identical as the HD650?

Was there measurements showing otherwise?

For those think there is a difference between the two, does HD6XX sound speedier? I recall HD650 wasn't speedy (not like 58X or 660S), so for high energy music, the bass didn't thump quickly enough or just in general not fast enough for fast music. Jazz on the other hand or vocals centric, probably not an issue. I do recall euphoric moments with certain vocal centric songs with the HD650 as it was my go to for a very long time. Particularly live recordings I enjoyed.

Evolutionary wise, I think 58X (HD66S) is a progression for the treble (and I guess bass for 58X). Although, 650 is the mids headphone with rich mids.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #1,880 of 4,845
Correctly me if I'm wrong, but isn't the HD6XX regarded as being identical as the HD650?

Was there measurements showing otherwise?

For those think there is a difference between the two, does HD6XX sound speedier? I recall HD650 wasn't speedy (not like 58X or 660S), so for high energy music, the bass didn't thump quickly enough or just in general not fast enough for fast music. Jazz on the other hand or vocals centric, probably not an issue. I do recall euphoric moments with certain vocal centric songs with the HD650 as it was my go to for a very long time. Particularly live recordings I enjoyed.

Evolutionary wise, I think 58X (HD66S) is a progression for the treble (and I guess bass for 58X). Although, 650 is the mids headphone with rich mids.

The HD650 and HD6XX are identical but I found the HD6XX be ever so slightly more sparkly in the high frequencies when comparing both. A few others on head-fi noticed this as well but we seem to be in the minority.

Aug 25, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #1,881 of 4,845
My second pair of HD58X arrived a few days ago. I have yet to unbox them. For the price I paid for two, I would have gladly bought just the one, if these costed twice as much.

Last night I had a monster marathon gaming session playing The Last of Us Remastered on the PS4 using the HD58X (Fireflies better be at the hospital...oh no...Zombies everywhere! Crap! Oh well, should probably get some sleep).

I would have defaulted to the K701 if not for the HD58X. I am not a competitive gamer...I suck at that, I keep dying by mysterious assassin's within milliseconds of starting a game (although in real life, I am an accurate shooter with cardio to sprint after prey and, yet still, hold a rifle steady). Therefore whatever competitive gamers require from a headphone I do not know.

However for the casual gaming I do, I want immersion. The HD58X seem to pinpoint sounds better than the K701. More importantly, the sounds of the world just comes alive with HD58X. The frequency response is just more realistic than the K701. The chirps of birds are pristine and sharp, even though the headphone is not bright. It's more convincing than the K701. The HD650 won't even try to chirp correctly, it's a bit too dull. Flies buzzing around also sound more convincing - we all know that familiar sound of a fly buzzing past our ears.

I work in QA. In my day job, I use more than two decades of professional experience to feel for vibrations in my bum, back, feet and hands. Whilst concurrently listening to and pin pointing sounds and harmonics. This is my primary function. I sign off the entire production line prior to customer collection based in this expertise. This is my fundamental and primary function, what I was employed to do. Test drive.

images (4).jpeg

I am a human version of one of these. My vision sense whilst analysis is being carried is used merely to keep the car on the road and is of little use at this stage of the diagnostic procedure.

What headphone in my collection could accurately replicate the sounds I experience?

2 headphones I will reference.

The LCD2 to reproduce the sound of a top fuel dragster. This is unheard of in my Hi-Fi experience.

The HD58X to reproduce the sounds of a Formula one car. The combination of bass sounds as the engine climbs into a screaming 20,000 rpms...at least the days before turbo.

These two headphones also make sense to me and the sounds I heard when in my youth I played the drums. A most memorable time of my life where I was not only inside the music, but at one with the music. When I had played live on stage numerous times and rehearsed countless times in the music room...which had a massive safe-like entry door and sound absorption everywhere.

The general purpose reference of my HD650 is no longer required. I find the HD58X to be far more versatile, in audio quality and convenience factors.

To me, it's the HD650 that is jack of all trades, master of none. The HD58X also fill that duty quite well, although I hear it as very masterful at uppermid resolution. Best in my collection. Where they lack, My LCD2 surpass anything...that acoustic sound...measured low distortion as low as the best and unsurpassed in bass.

Nevertheless in many recordings, the HD58X is arguably the best headphone I have ever owned.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #1,884 of 4,845
I like listening to Imagine Dragons with 58X. On Tidal it sounds better. I think the 58X does well for stuff like this.

Today's hottest hits sound best on 58X

From Meghan Trainor to Camila Cabello, Sia to Chainsmokers. All can be heard in unprecedented fidelity to artistical intent.

@SP Wild great mini review, really enjoyed that. I decided not to do the mod to mine. Did you the do the mod? Or is that review with stock? Mine have not arrived yet, they will be here next week.

I did not modify it. I have other headphones that can achieve other audio perspectives as the desire arises.

I guess if it were the only headphone I own, I would modify them.

Remember, just because everyone else said so, does not make it fact.

Also the longest lesson to learn...price does not equate to fidelity. In fact anyone caught ranking things corresponding to price in this hobby is ruled in my book as one who enjoys the sound of an empty wallet and dollar bills floating away in the air.

Aug 26, 2018 at 1:37 AM Post #1,885 of 4,845

It's not but it has more spark than HD 650. Sometimes it works great, sometimes maybe not. It comes down to personal preference. Also if pad wear reduces it on HD 58X or brings the mids forward, things get quite interesting.

By the way, I need to order new pads. The ones that came with my HD 58X aren't as good as the ones that came with HD 6XX. It's like they are wider rather than deeper. It might be pure lottery, but still. I now swapped the pads and it's noticeable comfort wise (to my right ear at least).

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2018 at 4:34 AM Post #1,886 of 4,845
Some say that cables matter, others say they don't. If you just have a regular single ended connection DAP/Phone/amp I would just stay with what you have for now. If you want to experiment there are countless aftermarket single ended or balanced cables out there. In my case, as I have a couple of 2.5mm balanced items, I bought a balanced cable off of Amazon and I do think it has truly improved the sound of these cans. The problem with my particular cable is that its ear cup pins are slightly too large for my 58X and the fit is very very snug and doesn't quite seem right. Anyway it does work.

Dsnuts in a previous post said that he just got a balanced cable off of ebay that he really likes. It looks like they also sell the cable in single ended (3.5mm) and other permutations.

Here's the link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/XLR-3-5-2-5-16-Cores-Headphone-Cable-For-Sennheiser-HD25-1-SP-HD580-HD650-HD600/222948192204?hash=item33e8bf6fcc:m:m8offLBmxSmfa1Mo0VTYpIw&var=521760375102

He says the pins fit perfectly.

Anyway, good luck, it's a great headphone to try out different things with!

Hey I did the mod and it was very easy to do.

How is the sound?
The headphones are less warm now and the bass extension feels nicer.
The sound is more airy and feels more fresh! Because the muddiness got reduced.
Also the treble is a bit more pronounced and still far from fatiguing.

I definitely recommend the mod, because it is very easy to do.
In addition to that, the sound quality improves for like 7-9%.

How to do it?
1. Buy a black 1mm soft felt from your local store. Black because it fits the color scheme and soft for more air.
2. Cut the felt, luckily the diameter of the driver is exactly like a 5 cent coin (Im from Germany).
3. Cut the double sided tape into little pieces and apply them on the driver. I used four pieces on each driver.
4. Smash your felt onto the driver and profit.

The end product should look like this:

IMG_20180826_101223.jpg IMG_20180826_101438.jpg IMG_20180826_101519.jpg

Edit:
The bass boost on the fiio e10k is a WAY BETTER with this mod.
Stock 58x with fiio bass boost was horrible, the bass was too much and muddy.
Sound stage feels more closed.
After mod:
The bass boost feels just right now. Not muddy and sound stage is preserved.
Sound quality increased to 12% instead of 7-9% like before^^

EDIT AGAIN:
i changed my mind, its freakin 20% now. Its like another world.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #1,887 of 4,845
Absolutely agree. HD700, HD800, HE500,and HE560, are way brighter than the 58x. I'm in the smooth camp with these cans. No fatigue whatsoever. I usually do 2 to 4 hour sessions when listening.

Aug 26, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #1,888 of 4,845
Absolutely agree. HD700, HD800, HE500,and HE560, are way brighter than the 58x. I'm in the smooth camp with these cans. No fatigue whatsoever. I usually do 2 to 4 hour sessions when listening.
I didn't expect HE500 to be on the bright side.

When I first heard the HD650 was along side DT880 and K701. LOL. It sounded dim and the two others weren't helping. I gave the HD650 about a week and my ears got used to the smoother treble, or the not bright sig comparatively. I found it to be low energy sig. But, it ended up as my main headphone for awhile.

Mids is nice on the HD650, but I find speed is more important with more treble. If we can get HD650 mids with much faster response, it would be interesting.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #1,889 of 4,845
Out of the 4 mentioned, they're the least bright. Still a lot brighter than the 58x. One thing about the HE500. It's hands down the midrange champion from everything I've heard to date. I'll put the 58x next in line. For me the 650's would bore me over time during sessions. I've always wanted a can that could give me the goodies from the HD700& the HE500 with the smoothness of the 650 . 58x is pretty damn close. lol
I didn't expect HE500 to be on the bright side.

When I first heard the HD650 was along side DT880 and K701. LOL. It sounded dim and the two others weren't helping. I gave the HD650 about a week and my ears got used to the smoother treble, or the not bright sig comparatively. I found it to be low energy sig. But, it ended up as my main headphone for awhile.

Mids is nice on the HD650, but I find speed is more important with more treble. If we can get HD650 mids with lots of speed, it would be interesting.

Aug 26, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #1,890 of 4,845
I really enjoy them with R2R DAC,they actully made me realized that my source have W shape signature ,forward mids complement them very nicely,all tho they sound great with most sources in comparison to my Sabre based D50 the difference is noticeable
Some complain about the pads being little stiffer then the HD650 pads ,I actually prefer 58x pads -can't stand my ears touching drivers and it seems they do change sound sig over time due to pads being to mushy (I think someone mention this already)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back