Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Jul 2, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #1,006 of 4,845
I have 580/595/598ivory/600/6xx/ (had 660s). Do I need 58x? - Are they different enough than the rest of the lineup to warrant purchase? - I keep thinking of getting a 579, but I want 'better'. So I keep saying "No" to them.

Yes, sure! for its tight but still thick sub bass response and dynamics. None of what you have, 500 series or 600 series, is comparable to the HD58x in the sub bass and bass. But then again, its midrange, while still good, is probably the coldest amd dryest of all the 600 Series. You won’t get th sweetness amd emotion of the other 600 series in the midrange of the HD58x. it’s your pick.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #1,007 of 4,845
Made in Ireland, shipped out of New Jersey.

ujGh6FC.png

Jul 2, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #1,008 of 4,845
Great taste there man. I was thinking of getting myself a pair of DT990 before I got into this drop, maybe it could provide an alternate presentation to my beloved Grado - which always remain my main drivers for Rock/Metal

I have DT990 600 ohms for Metal and LIVE them. Get the HD 58X FIRST.

THEYRE THAT good. Listening to Gojira Magma and it's mind blowing off my Magni 3. Drums are presented with a dynamic realism. I'm a drummer so I REALLY pay attention to how drums and cymbals are presented.

I also like how the volume can be increased and they don't distort. They just keep taking the power in stride. I always start a new album with the volume low and it's surprising how much they come alive as the volume goes up.

Jul 2, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #1,011 of 4,845
You’re missing the first leg of the journey - from the US to Frankfurt. It’s completely coincidence that they make their way through Germany, it’s DHL’s around the world economy shipping method. It’s happened with everything I’ve bought off of Massdrop - it leaves the US and travels through Europe before making its way to Australia. These are not being shipped from Germany,

Jul 3, 2018 at 12:06 AM Post #1,013 of 4,845
Jul 3, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #1,015 of 4,845
You’re missing the first leg of the journey - from the US to Frankfurt. It’s completely coincidence that they make their way through Germany, it’s DHL’s around the world economy shipping method. It’s happened with everything I’ve bought off of Massdrop - it leaves the US and travels through Europe before making its way to Australia. These are not being shipped from Germany,

Hmm that's weird, heres another order from massdrop that did seem to come from the US

q1G2sNB.png

Jul 3, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #1,016 of 4,845
Yes, sure! for its tight but still thick sub bass response and dynamics. None of what you have, 500 series or 600 series, is comparable to the HD58x in the sub bass and bass. But then again, its midrange, while still good, is probably the coldest amd dryest of all the 600 Series. You won’t get th sweetness amd emotion of the other 600 series in the midrange of the HD58x. it’s your pick.

So basically, it's like the low mid/bass end of the 660, but with the mid response of the 580, and treble of the 595?

Jul 3, 2018 at 3:59 AM Post #1,017 of 4,845
I don't have much else to compare to, the high end phone you all seem to have, but after a bit of testing, I think I like the way my old Sennheiser Momentum renders the voices. More smooth, laid back and relaxed, specially female voices.

Everything else is just wow. Everything seems layered, uncongested and detailed. Althoug maybe a bit cold, maybe not harsh but just a bit below that threshold. I'm gonna test a bit more, yesterday, when they arrived, I was dead tired to enjoy them fully.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2018 at 5:02 AM Post #1,018 of 4,845
HD 58X Sound impressions:
I'm running a Yulong D100 II through its high impedance output-->HP

The 58X is quite warm (kinda funny how I adjust, go back to brighter hps ie: msr7 and feel it sounds sibilant when I usually don't) & how they do the imaging & soundstage is very Sennheiser like. They have a very specific kind of expansive, airy, & well imaged soundstage quality that I've found in the 6 series so far.
I passed on the Sennheiser 6 lineup before because their veiled mids coupled with their airier spatialization along with their laid back sound wasn't my cup of tea. A lot of vocals just sounded really airy, and an example for the laid back sound is having detailed but slow decay on the bass as opposed to a tight & fast transient response.
The HD650 sounded unnaturally warm throughput the spectrum to me, and the HD600 became the ATH R70x instead.
The 58X are definitely more dynamic. It loses it's more laid back quality for a tighter sound, but still keeps the very nice airy spatialization. I approve of this.
Sound wise, treble is amazing, bass quality was a relative meh, mid or upper bass quantity felt slightly boosted, running into the still somewhat airy mids a bit.

How they fit into the lineup for me:
Overall, it's the combination of a tighter sound and how they presented that in their airy spatialization that sold it for me. I don't like warm headphones, but I do like this sound as a whole.
As to what this is not, and will never become, are...
1. My planar M1060. That is a different sort of bass and sound. The 58X doesn't have great bass quality or the extremely detailed & fast quality of a planar bass.
2. My MSR7. Which is a bright headphone & has quite the shiny & shimmery treble, as I'd call it. The 58X treble is not as present due to the volume, but the quality is there.

Mod impressions:
I found that the mids were still a bit airy & with the airy soundstage, it felt like the mids was just like air trying to escape through the grille and away from me rather than registering as someone singing to me from somewhere else. I also felt part of the bass was boosted and wanted to see what I could do.

Modding became a battle of
1. What to add or not add to reflect sound back to keep the sound present
2. ^^Same but in regards to dampening distortion or modifying dB curves.

Removing the black dampener against the grille:
Airier sound in general. Would not recommend. I know some people who do this and just turn up the volume because they couldn't hear the sound as well anymore. Now they can't really hear anything real well anymore.
More present & airier treble that actually fatigues, decreased bass, and just not for me.

DIY audio heaven's felt mod: I could only find red stiffened felt from the same brand.
Disclaimer: His green felt has a 50/50 composition while mines had a 85 poly/15 acrylic composition. Couldn't find his specific one anywhere online or in stores.
I think the mid & upper bass might have been lowered, but I was too focused on how completely covering the bass port with the felt closed up the soundstage & how the imaging became the biggest cluster__*. A lot of sounds running into each other, not a mod for me if I'd like to keep the original presentation.

Cutting ovals into the red felt & putting it back on the port:
So I just cut ovals into the circles so that a small part of the oval actually goes over the port, but if I'm not going insane, it actually firms up the mids of bit. Whether I'm hallucinating, it be from reflection dampening, or from partially covering the port, I hope it still keeps sounding good.
It looks kinda wonky but it sounds different if only 1 side is covering the port a bit, so it's doing something.
36528002_10216801066723368_4339763581558980608_n.jpg
36481187_10216801066603365_2318096404880293888_n.jpg

Mod conclusion: I'm quite happy with the firming up of the mids. As for the bass, don't think I can do much without something too adverse for me to handle, without going back to housing or driver design. Think I'm happy enough with how the mids are doing.

Edit: I wear glasses so the decrease in bass volume is kinda there now due to the imperfect seal.:L3000:

I did the felt mod also except I used green felt,attached it with Blu tac. I cut a perfect circle to start. I'm not sure if it improved anything but I don't hear anything that sounds wrong.

I'll have to remove the felt and do more listening and replay the same tracks with the felts back in place. If anything did change it was not for the worse.

I'm really digging these cans. I've been listening to my music for much longer stretches. These are extremely musical and enjoyable cans.

Attachments

• 20180702_214459.jpg
    20180702_214459.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20180702_214841.jpg
    20180702_214841.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 3, 2018 at 5:05 AM Post #1,019 of 4,845
20180702_214459.jpg
20180702_214841.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread