Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Jul 2, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #991 of 4,845
Jul 2, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #992 of 4,845
Excited to receive these in a few days. I had the 6XX but I wasn't really a big fan of them. I've liked most of Sennheiser's products though and enjoy my HD 4.40BT throughly.

From what I've hear, and if you guys could confirm, these have less recessed treble, better subbass but less detail. There seems to be a bit of modding going on already which is a huge plus for me. I've not heard much about soundstage however. How do they compare the the HD6XX's?

Hello! I actually just made this account to reply to you, becuase I have been using my HD 650’s for a while (same as the 6xx), and I got my 58x’s a few days ago. From my point of view, the treble is indeed ever so slightly more forward on the 58x. The bass is NOTICEABLY louder, and I have not yet decided whether I like this or not. Since there is not much written about their sound-stage, I thought I would add to the conversation. To me, it sounds like the 58x has a moderately more closed-in soundstage than the 650, and it sounds more like the music is in your head rather than around it. My impression is that listening to the 58x is a more analytical and less emotional experience than the 650.

I hope this helps!

Jul 2, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #993 of 4,845
From what I've hear, and if you guys could confirm, these have less recessed treble, better subbass but less detail. There seems to be a bit of modding going on already which is a huge plus for me. I've not heard much about soundstage however. How do they compare the the HD6XX's?

Pretty much. I've still got another round of testing to do with the 58x against the 580/600/650/660.

The 58x's have the smallest soundstage out of them all. Not a huge difference between the 600/650, but it is noticeable. Instrument separation and imaging is also not as good as the others.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #994 of 4,845
Does it sound less dynamic, specifically the bass? This is the issue I had with the HD660S. It didn't sound all that dynamic.

I just bought it and mine already shipped.
sorry for the late reply, I never really understand the term "dynamic", so I can't help you.
But bass is tight, compared to HD600

Jul 2, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #995 of 4,845
Hello! I actually just made this account to reply to you, becuase I have been using my HD 650’s for a while (same as the 6xx), and I got my 58x’s a few days ago. From my point of view, the treble is indeed ever so slightly more forward on the 58x. The bass is NOTICEABLY louder, and I have not yet decided whether I like this or not. Since there is not much written about their sound-stage, I thought I would add to the conversation. To me, it sounds like the 58x has a moderately more closed-in soundstage than the 650, and it sounds more like the music is in your head rather than around it. My impression is that listening to the 58x is a more analytical and less emotional experience than the 650.

I hope this helps!
I agree, the treble is a little forward, and the soundstage is OK, basically, it is not sound that open, maybe because of those materials inside of mesh grill, it looks like to prevent to leak.

Jul 2, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #999 of 4,845

I hope this helps!
Appreciate the response! I thought that the HD6XX had a good amount of mid-bass but wasn't happy with the roll off. As long as it doesn't bleed into the mids I'd be very happy. Thanks again and I can't wait.

Jul 2, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #1,000 of 4,845
Pretty much. I've still got another round of testing to do with the 58x against the 580/600/650/660.

The 58x's have the smallest soundstage out of them all. Not a huge difference between the 600/650, but it is noticeable. Instrument separation and imaging is also not as good as the others.

My experience with the soundstage was the opposite on the 58x vs 650. Separation and imaging I thought a bit better on the 650, although I'm still not 100% sure about that, but the 58x sounded a tad wider. Noticed this most on Clapton Unplugged and with Fleetwood Mac.

Jul 2, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #1,001 of 4,845
California seems to be far far away from Massdrop. Mine won't arrive until Friday.
Pretty sure they're coming from Germany, not from a Massdrop warehouse.

Jul 2, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #1,003 of 4,845
My experience with the soundstage was the opposite on the 58x vs 650. Separation and imaging I thought a bit better on the 650, although I'm still not 100% sure about that, but the 58x sounded a tad wider. Noticed this most on Clapton Unplugged and with Fleetwood Mac.

Compared to the HD600, its noticeably less detailed. The 600 definitely has the wider soundstage, and the 650 (from memory) is a bit wider than the 600. Id agree with the guy above about the soundstage and imaging. But its not as "bright" as the 600. This is from A/B in my personal inventory. I would say the soundstage and treble too a hit in favor of the bass.

Note Im not trashing these. I quite like their flavor

Jul 2, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #1,004 of 4,845
I have 580/595/598ivory/600/6xx/ (had 660s). Do I need 58x? - Are they different enough than the rest of the lineup to warrant purchase? - I keep thinking of getting a 579, but I want 'better'. So I keep saying "No" to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back