1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jude, Dec 20, 2017.
First

Back
55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64
66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75
Next

Last
  1. baiyy1986
    I got mine yesterday, my brief impression:
    It is cleaner than HD600, but yes it is drier.
    don't have the mid-bass hump like HD600 do.
    It is still very very natural, I think it is even more natural than HD600. But lack some of the lush sounds.
    The tuning of HD58X is between HD800 and HD600.
    As a big fan of Sennheiser, I would say it is a very good fit for the price point. It is a "reference" level of headphone.
    One more thing, because of 150-ohm impedance, it does not scale up like HD600.
    I really wish they didn't change the old look of HD58x, the new look.....meh.....
    I will burn in several days then give some updates for it in the future.:):):)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    TheRH and PeteMtl like this.
  2. Assimilator702
    I believe you'll be pleasantly surprised. It's a nice sound signature and great for Rock and some Metal. Female vocals are engaging while not quite as detailed as the HD650. Bass level is nice. Kick drums really have nice impact. Bass gutar lines on albums like Simon Phillips Out Of The Blue are presented with authority. FYI....one of THE BEST live recordings if you like Jazz/Fusion.

That's just a mini review as I've only had a few hours of listening time.

A MUST BUY for anyone still on the fence or for those who've cancelled their orders.

TheRH, Mouseman and PeteMtl like this.
  3. turbomustang84
    I have made 3 purchases on Massdrop two were Sennhieser and the third was Related to the other two purchases .

So I am fairly new to Massdrop but for those that know have they ever offered a Grado Product ? Specifically Headphones because I already have the only cartridge I will ever need from Grado

4. SilverEars
    Does it sound less dynamic, specifically the bass? This is the issue I had with the HD660S. It didn't sound all that dynamic.

I just bought it and mine already shipped.

5. kman1211
    I am curious too, I have a similar problem with the HD 660 S, honestly the HD 650 is better in terms of dynamics, especially on a good system. There are traits I like more on the HD 660 S(it has smoother treble than the HD 650 to my ears and it's mids are fuller sounding), but generally I prefer the HD 650 overall and dynamics are a big reason for that, that and the HD 660 S can come across as a little too mid forward to me at times. Though if I want strong dynamics with mid-tier dynamics, I generally use Beyers instead.

6. spacequeen7
    This are more dynamic then 650's

7. Mhog55
    Thanks! You got me pumped and excited again. Kick drum impact and bass guitar authority, the bloods flowing for sure. Come on Monday!

Assimilator702 likes this.
  8. Assimilator702
    Just go to sleep. When you wake....wish granted.

9. Mhog55
    Haha. I work swing, so I won't be home when they arrive. Wife has Mondays off though, so I may ask her to bring them down lol

10. trellus
    It looks like they have occasionally in the past (google: Grado headphones site:massdrop.com), but looks like it might be as long as 2 years ago for the most recent drop, so I wouldn't hold my breath, but you can also request a drop.

turbomustang84 likes this.
  11. 477621
    So.

I have done the sensible thing and switched the grey grilles on to the 580 Precision and put the black grilles on to the 58X. Visually, that just works for me. I would probably rather have them both grey though truth be told.

I have been listening all weekend to the 58X. I have come to the conclusion that the grille foam on the 58X is like the spider cage foam on the 580/600/650?

@Sennheiser, can you chip in? I can see you are on the thread.

EC19E8BB-1F13-45BF-AC2F-CEAC2976F60D.jpeg 3B929CB5-BCCE-47B9-ABD0-9ACC57E3E7A5.jpeg

trellus likes this.
  12. 477621
    I am a work from home guy, they have barely left my head. I am liking them more and more. The energy and speed in the lower frequencies is pretty awesome too. Not selling these bad boys.

TheRH and Assimilator702 like this.
  13. Assimilator702
    You don't agree with Solderdudes findings from DIY Audioheaven that the foam has no effect on the sound?

I haven't experimented but I plan on doing the felt mod and doing some listening with and without the foam. I already experiment with some plastic material over the grills and some extra treble energy was very noticeable. I'm thinking its something similar to the effect the steel mesh has on the HD660S.

I'll try a combo of the felt mod on the magnet and either a steel mesh over the felt OR a steel fabric somewhere between the size of the stock foam down to something closer to the size of the driver.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    477621 likes this.
  14. elira
    They did at least once, but Grado was angry at that drop. Grado dealers are not authorized to do discounts, all sell at the same price, so it's understandable that they didn't want their headphones selling with an unauthorized discount. Best way to get Grados at discount: buy them second hand.

trellus likes this.
  15. 477621
    Yeah, I am not sure I have ever watched a YouTube video and thought, wow. I'm more interested in the compare and contrast method, taking into account that person's preferences. That carries way more weight for me. I bought these as I have enjoyed the older Senn models over the newer ones. Being 150 ohm I was hoping they would carry some of the genes that are in my beloved 565 Ovation. They do. Happy Mouse.

^^what you said.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
First

Back
55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64
66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75
Next

Last