Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Jan 3, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #211 of 4,845
Does anybody who reviewed or tested the 58X know if the driver housing is the same size and layout as the hd600 or 650? driver swapping would be nice since i like the colors of the 58x a lot.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #212 of 4,845
I'm waiting for an HD1000 Charleston version with whatever drivers they can shoehorn in there...

hd1000.jpg

Jan 3, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #213 of 4,845
I'm waiting for an HD1000 Charleston version with whatever drivers they can shoehorn in there...

Now there is a design of merit !

Look like anything out there today (basic design architecture) ? There's a reason the finest cans have such a basic 'design' -headphone manufacture is not (as some seem to envisoin) rocket-science. There's valuable lessons to be learned from the past -moving forward.

pj

Does anybody who reviewed or tested the 58X know if the driver housing is the same size and layout as the hd600 or 650? driver swapping would be nice since i like the colors of the 58x a lot.

Does anybody know when this Sennheiser HD-5/6XX madness will ever end ? lol

Happy 2018 to all ...

pj

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 3, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #214 of 4,845
Thanks for the great review! I’m torn in between the HD6xx and the HD58x. I’m mainly going to use them with the Sony NW-ZX300 and would probably get balanced cables to use them balanced. On the one hand I’m not sure if the Sony dap will properly power the HD6xx with its 300 ohm even using them balanced. But I do like the scalability of the HD6xx compared to the HD58x. I believe the Sony Dao can provide up to 150 ohm in bakanced mode. Given this, it would make more sense to use the HD58x right?

Thanks!

Those "puffy" balls (those individual headband "foam pads" attached to the headband) on some Senn's (including Mass-poop's -oh, I mean drop's- 58X Jub. is the correct way in this type of headband design -as opposed to the single foam piece.
(After time, the single foam type pads will compress so much it will impact the headphone's performance and listener's comfort level -that will deteriorate significantly.)

Just a heads-up (pun) for any considering headphones with/without this design detail.

Happy New Year,

pj
P.S> I edited this reply for clarity -hope it helped.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #215 of 4,845
Those "puffy" balls (individual ear-pad "pockets") on some Senn's (including Mass-poop's (oh, I mean drop's) 58X Jub. is the correct way in this type of headband design -as opposed to the single foam piece. (After time, the single pad foam type pads will compress so much it will impact the headphone's performance and listener's comfort level -that will deteriorate significantly.)

Just a heads-up (pun) for any considering such an investment.

Happy New Year,

pj

Hi Pj,
What's up man? I don't get anything from your post except the Happy New Year.
Same to you!

Peter

Jan 4, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #219 of 4,845
Huh?!

BTW, you’re missing a parentheses.

Lol. Where's the missing parentheses ?

pj

At least he remembered the important stuff - bolding, italics, and underlining. I don't consider his posts successful until they have all three.

Lol. Touche' !

What a great start to 2018 ... (you guys are great -and funny) !

Point taken.

pj

Cooooool.. That will go great with my jacket

.... That and a Michael Jackson mask (oh, and the gloves) ...

pj

Hi Pj,
What's up man? I don't get anything from your post except the Happy New Year.
Same to you!

Peter

Hi Peter: The individual headband foam pieces -is there 4-6 on the headband ?

That is a much better design than the single foam/sponge/padding on the headband -I don't know what to call it ? (Headband padding ?)

Cheers,

pj

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 5, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #221 of 4,845
I just sold my HD580 to regret it immediately, and the drop arrived in due time. Can't listen to Grado's 325 after my beloved Senns.

Jan 7, 2018 at 1:33 AM Post #223 of 4,845
Would the 58X make a good first pair of open back headphones or should I consider something else first?
Depends on what you are looking for and what you currently use. I'd say its probably a better choice than the HD600/HD650 since they are easier to drive but since I haven't heard them yet I can't give firm yes or no answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back