Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jude, Dec 20, 2017.
First

Back
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Page 14 of 194
15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Next

Last
  1. tizman
    With respect to EQ, I have never found EQ to improve SQ. It can make a headphone or speaker with very poor frequency response listenable, but although said headphone or speaker, once EQ is applied, has a smoother frequency response, it will lose something with respect to it's realism. At the end of the chain, headphones and speakers are probably the components that add the most "flavour" to the listening experience. This is not really avoidable at reasonable budgets. I have found it best to pick your flavour and enjoy. I strive for minimalism in my setups. The less wire and components between the source and my ears the better. An equalizer is like adding the contents of the spice rack to the dish made by a master chef. Smooth FR is not as important to me than the feeling of being there with the musicians in the venue. EQ has always reduced that feeling of realism. Of course, everyone is different, so YMMV.

alfmoonspace and trellus like this.
  2. Tuneslover
    I too try to keep it as pure as possible however since purchasing the Loki I have softened my view. I apply it extremely modestly but just enough to give my HD650 a smidchen more high frequency and a tiny bit more sub bass. To me it still sounds like an HD650 but slightly tailored and more enjoyable to my ears (TMEs).

The Loki is installed in my Bimby/Jotunheim setup.

3. GoodBoy
    Drop has been extended. Any new info / reviews of 58x Jubilee?

trellus likes this.
  4. trellus
    What a relief! I’m interested in joining the drop but financial prudence required me to abstain. The extension makes it highly likely I will join.

5. GoodBoy
    They will keep the offer at 149$ until 5000 units sold

trellus likes this.
  6. desmoface
    Hmmm, I’m intrigued but not sure these are for me. I have Sennheiser Amperiors and Breyer DT-990’s and prefer the 990’s to the Sennheiser’s. Still, seems like they may be worth trying for $150.

Steve

7. RoMee Contributor
    I'm skipping these.. 7 Months is just too far away.
    After the first drop, the price will increase in future drops. The magnitude of the increase is unclear pending production of the HD58X.

8. allhifi
    The DT-990's are in an entirely different league than any 500/600 series Senn.

pj

desmoface likes this.
  9. desmoface
    Hi allhifi, that’s kind of what I thought. I think I’ll have to pass on this deal. Thanks and have a happy new year!

Steve

10. allhifi
    Hi Steve: You too my friend.

Happy New Year,

pj

11. Audioholic123
    Keep in mind that it often depends on the equipment used to drive the headphones...
    The DT990 is IMO better than any Sennheiser HD500 series headphone but I've owned both the DT990 and HD600 and the HD600 scaled better with my more expensive audio equipment. The DT990 is not as good as the DT880 IMO (of which I've also owned recently). The DT880 600 Ohm in particular is the one (not DT990) that is allot better than the HD600 IMO..

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    desmoface and trellus like this.
  12. jonathane40
    Thanks for the great review! I’m torn in between the HD6xx and the HD58x. I’m mainly going to use them with the Sony NW-ZX300 and would probably get balanced cables to use them balanced. On the one hand I’m not sure if the Sony dap will properly power the HD6xx with its 300 ohm even using them balanced. But I do like the scalability of the HD6xx compared to the HD58x. I believe the Sony Dao can provide up to 150 ohm in bakanced mode. Given this, it would make more sense to use the HD58x right?

Thanks!

13. project86 Contributor
    Makes sense to me... I love the Sony DAPs, should be a good pairing.

14. pietcux
    I own the WM1A. It drives the HD650 well on the balanced cable from the HD660S, but the HD650 is much more alive on my desktop amp Meier Audio Jazz. The 150 ohm HD660S runs better on a DAP so will do this HD580 in question.

trellus likes this.
  15. Anarion
    I'd be interested if Massdrop would mix HD 599 chassis and HD 660 S drivers (or maybe the same ones as in HD 58x - size is the same as far as I know).

First

Back
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Page 14 of 194
15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Next

Last